SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#360195 - 02/03/13 04:02 AM The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout
Tonewheeldude Offline

The Gauntlet has been thrown down...Here continues the Midi Styles vs Audio Styles discussion. Some still claim that Midi drum Kits in Styles are the way forward for Arranger Keyboards, others prefer live audio recordings for their rhythm section. Some manufacturers have played with Audio Drums (Wersi and Yamaha for instance) whilst so far only Ketron has fully embraced them with Live guitars and drums.

At this point it is a discussion on THE DRUMS ONLY Once we have covered this we can move onto the full styles.

RULES:

Recording
1) Recording must be done in ONE TAKE via the onboard recorder and presented in WAV or MP3 format.
2) BASS LINE is allowed, but at least one example must be drums only and must not overpower the recording
3) No post editing, except for normalize.
4) You must state the Style Name (in case your tempted to upload a Dylan Elise recording and pretend its from your PS3)

Suggestion: keep fills to a minimum...if at all, use intro's and endings wisely.

Playback
1) If your listening through laptop speakers or low cost PC speakers your disqualified from having an opinion and will be sent to solitary confinement in the Kawai Discussion Board wink
- Suggestion: use Reference Headphones or good quality DJ headphones (not Eagle sets from 1978 or in ear walkman sets unless you want a slap on your way here)

--------------------------

First Challenge:
THE SWING CATEGORY

Midi Styles Vs Audio Styles
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 02/03/13 03:55 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#360202 - 02/03/13 05:15 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

SWING CATEGORY

Here are four from the Audyas original Factory Style Library. Recorded in WAV format, normalised and then converted to MP3 at 128kbps (on my PC) as the files averaged 10mb each as wav, there is a little compression as a result, but not enough to detract.

No Fills or Breaks used.

1) Jazz Quartet. No intro, all four arranger parts in order and ending 3 to finish.

2) Romantic Slow. Intro 2 to start with, all four arranger parts in order, ending 3 to finish

3) Swing Time. Intro 3, Arranger 4, Ending 3. Style Bass in F.

4) I love this one: GOGO. Intro One, Arranger 4 (R), Ending 3

#360203 - 02/03/13 05:21 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Dnj Offline

Thanx..Enjoyed listening to the demos.....unless I'm wrong...
as I can see it so far midi vs audio drums discussion is that with audio you cannot do any editing to the kits that's where the controversy lies....so your essentially stuck with what they give you.

#360206 - 02/03/13 05:32 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
as I can see it so far midi vs audio drums discussion is that with audio you cannot do any editing to the kits that's where the controversy lies....so your essentially stuck with what they give you.

It came about after Diki said this:

Originally Posted By: Diki
I hate to say this, but my BK7m's drumkits and patterns rivals the Ketron audio style drums

Which warrants some evidence to support the claim wink And as I do not have a Roland and Diki does not have an Audya what better way to find out than post examples...

I also would love to hear from owners of all the other major players like Tyros, PSR950, PA3X and any other arrangers, new or old.

As for being stuck with what I'm given, for me, I would rather have my 400 or so audio loops and 700 Factory styles than an endless supply of Midi stuff...but that's just me of course. But I do understand others have got used to being all powerful when it comes to their drummer....after all your Midi Drummer cant quit when you tell him to turn down the bass drum or move the snare to the other side of the stage...hehe

#360208 - 02/03/13 05:40 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Now I've heard the Ketron and awaiting the others to make a comparison.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#360230 - 02/03/13 11:14 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

where is everyone? I thought we would have loads of Yamaha and Roland stuff on here by now frown

There are so many Tyros and PSR owners here and they are always saying how great the styles are...c'mon guys.

#360235 - 02/03/13 11:57 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
where is everyone? I thought we would have loads of Yamaha and Roland stuff on here by now frown

There are so many Tyros and PSR owners here and they are always saying how great the styles are...c'mon guys.

It's a good idea in theory....but, Didn't you know?.. on this forum the minute someone requests a demo of "any kind" of music all the shutters close up tight and you can hear a pin drop. Your better off just listening to whatever on You Tube. coffee

Another reason is that today is SUPER BOWL SUNDAY party !!!!!!!

Edited by Dnj (02/03/13 12:14 PM)

#360236 - 02/03/13 12:04 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

but all that is required is to press the start and stop button...no need to even play a note!

Its Sunday...maybe everyone is too busy.

#360238 - 02/03/13 12:12 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://justintimeband.homestead.com/XFER.html

Here are Roland BK5 drum samples..random selection ..

It is 10.4 mgs ..too large to post on SZ..so here is a link to my website..

#360241 - 02/03/13 12:22 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Well done for having a go Fran, although its not really what I was hoping for. Sadly its pretty impossible to compare them as you have loads of different styles all rolled into one file.

Would it be possible just to pick some individual ones from the Swing Category for now and upload only those (just four will do as I did above)

But thank-you for making the effort.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online