SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#360476 - 02/05/13 05:34 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The BK5 was recorded as an MP3 directly to the inexpensive Tascam Dr-07...

I am sure a better recording quality can be acheived by recording as a wav via BK5 audio recorder, and converted to MP3 via MixCraft..

Tonewheel, I agree with most of your comments, but I don't think Roland brushes are bad or even the worst of the lot..

I would like to hear Diki record the same styles I recorded on the BK5 with his BK7m..to get a better feel...if there is any difference...I don't think there is...sample wise...I would think settings are more of a factor, and surely recording gear...and method..

#360479 - 02/05/13 05:57 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Take the compressor off, Fran. Listen to the patterns without it. Just leave on the Standard EQ preset, and you should be getting apples to apples.

TBH, I don't think there's a LOT of difference in the drum kits (if any). Those samples are pretty small, not a lot of gain shortening them. I think that some of the keyboard Tones, however, have been squeezed a bit, data-wise. This is not unusual for Roland (or most manufacturers) when voicing a BOTL product with the voices from the TOTL...

One of the advantages of recording to the built in recorder is that it bypasses the output circuitry (I think...). So, if you have a BOTL BK-3, which might not have as good a final output circuitry (it uses a TRS single output jack, like some of the BOTL Yamaha's), you should still get a pretty good sound direct to the recorder built in.

#360480 - 02/05/13 06:04 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Dnj Offline

Unlike the S950 which doesn't allow it .....can you save Ketron Audya Audio styles to an external USB drive?

#360481 - 02/05/13 06:31 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://francarango.homestead.com/XFER.html

I recorded the G70 to the DR-07 as an MP3...

This is Rock1 kit..replaced on the BK with New Rock kit..

Select the "G70 drum demo"

Edited by Fran Carango (02/05/13 06:32 PM)

#360485 - 02/05/13 08:06 PM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Dnj]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Unlike the S950 which doesn't allow it .....can you save Ketron Audya Audio styles to an external USB drive?

Yes, you can. You can even copy & paste them there. You can copy them anywhere you like & access using the "disk" function.

Keep well my friend,

Henni

#360499 - 02/06/13 01:17 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Dnj Offline

Thanx....very interesting!

#360500 - 02/06/13 01:26 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

It is also possible with the Audya to use Midi drums instead of Audio drums, and then you have the same facilities as any other keyboard, but I guarantee not a single Audya owner would want to do that because through a PA with a room full of people live drums are just miles apart from Midi drums. You wont hear that through headphones or in your home fully....add to that the live guitars and an Audya owner stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

#360504 - 02/06/13 02:21 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Henni]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: Henni
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Yes, you can. You can even copy & paste them there. You can copy them anywhere you like & access using the "disk" function.

Keep well my friend,

Henni

Can you edit Ketron audio styles and then save as a custom audio style? If so, are audio styles as easily edited as midi based styles?

Sounds to me, that audio styles are the wave (pun intented) of the future. The audio drums posted are impressive.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#360506 - 02/06/13 02:56 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: lahawk]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Yes on both questions, you can. I do it all the time. You can also mix and match audio, grooves and midi drums in any way you please.

The 1st thing I do with most 3rd party styles, is to replace the midi drums with audio drums. Of course this does not work for the intro & endings, so I use the original midi drums for those. I can choose midi drums, audio drums, user audio drums and even two banks of grooves. The selection is astounding, to say the least.

Plus, if you want to use any mp3 section in any part of your style, just convert to wave and save in the drum section of the style. It will synch completely, follow the tempo, play in a conineous loop & follow the chords. This feature alone has tremendous potential!

I have absolutely no need to edit any audio section on the Audya - there are hundreds, no, if I count everything, then literally thousands of well defined loops to choose from, and these will play different sequences for different chords.

Really, really awesome.

Keep well all my friends,

Henni

#360509 - 02/06/13 04:32 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Henni]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Henni
Yes on both questions, you can. I do it all the time. You can also mix and match audio, grooves and midi drums in any way you please.

The 1st thing I do with most 3rd party styles, is to replace the midi drums with audio drums. Of course this does not work for the intro & endings, so I use the original midi drums for those. I can choose midi drums, audio drums, user audio drums and even two banks of grooves. The selection is astounding, to say the least.

Plus, if you want to use any mp3 section in any part of your style, just convert to wave and save in the drum section of the style. It will synch completely, follow the tempo, play in a conineous loop & follow the chords. This feature alone has tremendous potential!

I have absolutely no need to edit any audio section on the Audya - there are hundreds, no, if I count everything, then literally thousands of well defined loops to choose from, and these will play different sequences for different chords.

Really, really awesome.

Keep well all my friends,

Henni

Maybe Yamaha should take some Audio lessons from Ketron? coffee

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online