SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#359355 - 01/23/13 05:44 PM Time to cut bait!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm sad, but I'm a little excited too. Want to add midi to your guitar rig? I can help ....

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/359354/Yup_I_m_sure_it_s_for_sale#Post359354

#359494 - 01/25/13 02:16 AM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Great looking guitar Dave. But I understand, I am using a Variaxe 300 as my second guitar with the classic rock band I play with. Makes a great addition to my Stratocaster which is my main guitar. It is my "acoustic" guitar for songs that need it or can also be a great electric Les Paul or Fender guitar as well. We play "Redneck Woman" and in the outro I switch it over to banjo picking just for that country flavor.

#359535 - 01/25/13 03:08 PM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Yup! WAY cool! They FLY is a fantastic guitar in all respects, even without the midi, but i like having the 12 strings, detunings and .. yes, the banjo!
smile
d
some great midifly info here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/parkermidifly.htm

#359619 - 01/26/13 04:28 PM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I bought my Variaxe 300 second hand on eBay a few years back. I love it except that it really chews through batteries. I only seem to get a couple of hours out of a new battery.

Other than that is is a great guitar. The nice thing about the one I bought the Line 6 neck had been changed over for a Fender Squier 56 Telecaster neck. I received the original Line 6 neck as well but the Tele neck feels so good I will probably never change it back. The amazing thing is there was no customization needed for the Tele neck. It fitted the Variaxe body neck slot perfectly.

#359661 - 01/27/13 09:47 AM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

wow - cool!

#363473 - 03/19/13 06:21 PM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Nigel]
Uncle Dave Offline

Hey Nigel - the A/B direct box that powers all Variax's is only $99 - you can save yourself the worry of all those batteries and have a great electric/acoustic option for signal routing!
smile

#363632 - 03/22/13 12:29 AM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I have a powered silver box which is the one I think your are talking about that provides a line out signal, but it doesn't power my guitar. In fact the battery goes flat quicker when I am using that. While that box provides a much cleaner output for the acoustic emulations the electric models don't drive my tube amp as well as they do when I simply plug in a regular guitar cord.

I am guessing there may have been issues with the Variaxe 300 which may have been why Line 6 stopped making it. But I do like that guitar a lot.

#363650 - 03/22/13 03:16 PM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Nigel,
Are you using a TRS stereo cable INTO that box? Tha'ts what gives it the power ... as long as the box is plugged in, or course.

#363657 - 03/22/13 11:45 PM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Nigel,
Are you using a TRS stereo cable INTO that box? Tha'ts what gives it the power ... as long as the box is plugged in, or course.

Yes, I definately am Dave. Still it doesn't draw power from the box, just runs the battery flat. And the light on the box is orange rather than green. I suspect there may be a problem with the box because I had expected it would power the guitar.

#363671 - 03/23/13 09:05 AM Re: Time to cut bait! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

My power light is red. There are 2 other green lights to indicate 1/4" or XLR output. Dows your box have all three?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online