Time to cut bait!

Posted by: Uncle Dave

Time to cut bait! - 01/23/13 05:44 PM

I'm sad, but I'm a little excited too. Want to add midi to your guitar rig? I can help ....

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/359354/Yup_I_m_sure_it_s_for_sale#Post359354
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Time to cut bait! - 01/25/13 02:16 AM

Great looking guitar Dave. But I understand, I am using a Variaxe 300 as my second guitar with the classic rock band I play with. Makes a great addition to my Stratocaster which is my main guitar. It is my "acoustic" guitar for songs that need it or can also be a great electric Les Paul or Fender guitar as well. We play "Redneck Woman" and in the outro I switch it over to banjo picking just for that country flavor.

Re: Time to cut bait! - 01/25/13 03:08 PM

Yup! WAY cool! They FLY is a fantastic guitar in all respects, even without the midi, but i like having the 12 strings, detunings and .. yes, the banjo!
smile
d
some great midifly info here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/parkermidifly.htm

Re: Time to cut bait! - 01/26/13 04:28 PM

I bought my Variaxe 300 second hand on eBay a few years back. I love it except that it really chews through batteries. I only seem to get a couple of hours out of a new battery.

Other than that is is a great guitar. The nice thing about the one I bought the Line 6 neck had been changed over for a Fender Squier 56 Telecaster neck. I received the original Line 6 neck as well but the Tele neck feels so good I will probably never change it back. The amazing thing is there was no customization needed for the Tele neck. It fitted the Variaxe body neck slot perfectly.

Re: Time to cut bait! - 01/27/13 09:47 AM

wow - cool!

Re: Time to cut bait! - 03/19/13 06:21 PM

Hey Nigel - the A/B direct box that powers all Variax's is only $99 - you can save yourself the worry of all those batteries and have a great electric/acoustic option for signal routing!
smile

Re: Time to cut bait! - 03/22/13 12:29 AM

I have a powered silver box which is the one I think your are talking about that provides a line out signal, but it doesn't power my guitar. In fact the battery goes flat quicker when I am using that. While that box provides a much cleaner output for the acoustic emulations the electric models don't drive my tube amp as well as they do when I simply plug in a regular guitar cord.

I am guessing there may have been issues with the Variaxe 300 which may have been why Line 6 stopped making it. But I do like that guitar a lot.

Re: Time to cut bait! - 03/22/13 03:16 PM

Nigel,
Are you using a TRS stereo cable INTO that box? Tha'ts what gives it the power ... as long as the box is plugged in, or course.

Re: Time to cut bait! - 03/22/13 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Nigel,
Are you using a TRS stereo cable INTO that box? Tha'ts what gives it the power ... as long as the box is plugged in, or course.

Yes, I definately am Dave. Still it doesn't draw power from the box, just runs the battery flat. And the light on the box is orange rather than green. I suspect there may be a problem with the box because I had expected it would power the guitar.

Re: Time to cut bait! - 03/23/13 09:05 AM

My power light is red. There are 2 other green lights to indicate 1/4" or XLR output. Dows your box have all three?

Re: Time to cut bait! - 04/07/13 09:51 PM

Just in case I forgot to post this ...
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/3655978295.html

Variax55 WITH PodXTlive - great combo!

Re: Time to cut bait! - 01/03/14 10:27 AM

Well - the MidiFLY is sold ... the Line Six JTV69s is sold (to my school) and I'm keeping the Fender/Roland G-5 for my studio "go to." The Tele sound and 12 string emulations are terrific, in addition to the Strat, Jazz box, Sitar etc ... and even the acoustic is pretty decent. Hard to compete with my Taylors, but then again ... don't have to carry extra axes or worry about anyone falling into my good gear on stage. The G-5 is built Strat-Tough, and it's pretty too!
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Time to cut bait! - 01/03/14 02:36 PM

"the Line Six JTV69s is sold (to my school)"

You mean you took a tax credit for donating smile

Re: Time to cut bait! - 01/03/14 03:34 PM

nope - took the whole profit...and still get to play it!
smile