SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#353984 - 11/03/12 07:11 AM Gigging During a Disaster Experience...
Dnj Offline

Yesterday I went out amongst the total devastation in my area due to the Hurricane and was contacted by a few facilities that were more inland and had power if I could come and perform for them even though I wasn't scheduled and because I was local enough to get there with gas being so scarce for now...
First gig was an assisted living center, residents were so happy to here some music and get their minds off the problems we are having all over, it was nice to put a little happiness in their day singing along and dancing,........the second job was at another Independent living facility dining room of which I played for dinner before but, this time it was unusually packed with so many of the residents families who were devastated by the storm and had top come live at the NH facility and be with their parents as they have no where else to go and many with no power... this was such a heartfelt show, people were crying, hugging, and were so happy that I could make it there and share a little music while they had dinner....at times I was almost overwhelmed with emotion during the performance. There was a ex Marine vet in a wheel chair with his family who asked me to play the Marine hymn which I did as his kids held him up standing during the song,..afterwards everyone stood for
"God Bless America" also, In a way I was so sad, in another way I was happy I could be of some solace to them in their hour of need....after dinner I received so many hugs as many come over to me with thanks & support.
Music is a wonderful magical thing in a time of need. !!!

#353986 - 11/03/12 08:33 AM Re: Gigging During a Disaster Experience... [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Similar experiences here in FL during the 3 biggest hurricanes of 2004 & 5. In one of the most affected areas of two of the storms, a VFW, running on a diesel generator, called and asked if I could play during an afternoon. They had opened the doors to the entire community including many mobile home dwellers who lost most everything. Down the street at a local park, the National Guard was setting up a staging area to provide ice, water, mops, squeegees and buckets. The VFW was providing free meals of cold cuts because there was no gas for their kitchen. What the Vets did for local residents was all they could do and it was wonderful...making the best of a horrible situation. It was not the usual dine and dance job. Folks did dance some...but it gave the storm victims a pleasant backdrop to mix and talk about their plight...as well as to figure out how to help each other. I did 4 hrs straight and fully intended it to be gratis. Later the Commander insisted I be compensated. Rather than argue, I took it and donated it back.

Over the next few months a lot of my jobs were understandably cancelled. It took over a year before things started getting back to normal gig-wise. The clean up and re-construttion efforts went on for several years.

My heart goes out to all whose lives have been tragically affected. Eddie.

#353989 - 11/03/12 09:21 AM Re: Gigging During a Disaster Experience... [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: btweengigs
Similar experiences here in FL during the 3 biggest hurricanes of 2004 & 5. In one of the most affected areas of two of the storms, a VFW, running on a diesel generator, called and asked if I could play during an afternoon. They had opened the doors to the entire community including many mobile home dwellers who lost most everything. Down the street at a local park, the National Guard was setting up a staging area to provide ice, water, mops, squeegees and buckets. The VFW was providing free meals of cold cuts because there was no gas for their kitchen. What the Vets did for local residents was all they could do and it was wonderful...making the best of a horrible situation. It was not the usual dine and dance job. Folks did dance some...but it gave the storm victims a pleasant backdrop to mix and talk about their plight...as well as to figure out how to help each other. I did 4 hrs straight and fully intended it to be gratis. Later the Commander insisted I be compensated. Rather than argue, I took it and donated it back.

Over the next few months a lot of my jobs were understandably cancelled. It took over a year before things started getting back to normal gig-wise. The clean up and re-construttion efforts went on for several years.

Eddie its all good, ....helping people using your strengths in any way you can is what it's all about, Ive seen disasters like Katrina, hurricanes in Florida etc,.. with so many devastated, ...but now with Sandy it hits us close to home here on the NJ shore,...I wish I could do more.

#353991 - 11/03/12 10:19 AM Re: Gigging During a Disaster Experience... [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Well done that man, your a star.

Col

#353992 - 11/03/12 10:24 AM Re: Gigging During a Disaster Experience... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#353993 - 11/03/12 10:44 AM Re: Gigging During a Disaster Experience... [Re: Dnj]
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: btweengigs

Eddie its all good, ....helping people using your strengths in any way you can is what it's all about, Ive seen disasters like Katrina, hurricanes in Florida etc,.. with so many devastated, ...but now with Sandy it hits us close to home here on the NJ shore,...I wish I could do more.

DNJ,

What you've done for those you've touched with your music means so much. Giving people a chance to smile taking their thoughts away from
the tragedy around them is the greatest gift a performer can give. Even though it may be for a few hours of their lives, you gave them a chance to forget and enjoy during a time they would be saddened and angry. Something which will be remembered for a long time. BTW, glad you made it through...

Eddie,
I think I remember hearing about that event. Was that in Indiantown VFW?

#353999 - 11/03/12 12:19 PM Re: Gigging During a Disaster Experience... [Re: vin5451]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: vin5451

Eddie,
I think I remember hearing about that event. Was that in Indiantown VFW?

Vince....
I remember the event you are talking about in Indiantown where the VFW building was totaled. The event I was talking about was in Hobe Sound. And it wasn't just one event. The VFW did whatever they could do to bring comfort to residents of the local mobile home parks right up until power was restored...which was several weeks later.
Eddie

#354009 - 11/03/12 05:50 PM Re: Gigging During a Disaster Experience... [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Very heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online