Yesterday I went out amongst the total devastation in my area due to the Hurricane and was contacted by a few facilities that were more inland and had power if I could come and perform for them even though I wasn't scheduled and because I was local enough to get there with gas being so scarce for now...
First gig was an assisted living center, residents were so happy to here some music and get their minds off the problems we are having all over, it was nice to put a little happiness in their day singing along and dancing,........the second job was at another Independent living facility dining room of which I played for dinner before but, this time it was unusually packed with so many of the residents families who were devastated by the storm and had top come live at the NH facility and be with their parents as they have no where else to go and many with no power... this was such a heartfelt show, people were crying, hugging, and were so happy that I could make it there and share a little music while they had dinner....at times I was almost overwhelmed with emotion during the performance. There was a ex Marine vet in a wheel chair with his family who asked me to play the Marine hymn which I did as his kids held him up standing during the song,..afterwards everyone stood for
"God Bless America" also, In a way I was so sad, in another way I was happy I could be of some solace to them in their hour of need....after dinner I received so many hugs as many come over to me with thanks & support.
Music is a wonderful magical thing in a time of need. !!!