SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#353508 - 10/24/12 04:34 PM Another Fun Day In Paradise...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today marks my third week on the water, living aboard the boat and sloooooooly making my way south, down the Intra-Coastal Waterway. I spend most of my day staring intently at the GPS Plotter, which is a must-have for making a trip through this very intracate, narrow, winding waterway.

Some nights are spent on the hook (anchored out) in a small bay or creek, while others are spent tied to the dock of one of the many marinas along the waterway. This was the case Monday evening, when I stopped for the night at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club.

The yacht club has an upstairs restaurant with an outside deck. On this particular afternoon/evening the YC had a planned pig-pick, which was a bit overpriced at $15 per person - not including drinks.

The lady that managed the restaurant said they had a blues duo scheduled to perform that night, the lead guy played the harmonica and sang, while the other guy played the guitar. The guitar player was fantastic, one of the best I've ever seen or heard. The lead guy was OK, had a decent voice, but adlibbed way too between songs. His dead time was horendous, probably close to 3 to 4 minutes.

The gal that ran the place asked if I would play the breaks, which I agreed to do. After the duo did an hour an 20 minutes, they introduced me and I fired up the PSR-3000 and performed a song the manager requested - "All My Ex's Live In Texas." She loved it, and so did the crowd. From there I went into my usual routine, the audience, which at the onset was only about 10 people on the deck, was mixed in age from 30 to 70, and within 10 minutes after I started, the people watching football games inside came out to the deck as well.

The blues duo took a longer break than I anticipated, close to 40 minutes. By that time I had about 25 people on the deck, some were dancing, most were singing along with me, and when I performed Mustang Sally everyone was yelling "Ride Sally - Ride."

When the blues duo came back out, they asked me to do one more song, I did "Proud Mary," thanked everyone, introduced the blues duo and said I was headed inside to get warm. It was down in the low 50s, which to me is the dead of winter. Within 10 minutes of the blues guys firing up again, everyone on the deck left - bad sign for the blues guys.

The lady manager asked if I could stick around till Wednesday and play for them for the ensuing three days. Not a prayer - I'm headed for Marathon Key, Florida and Myrtle Beach gets real cold in the winter. There are lots of places to play in Myrtle Beach, nite clubs, bars, restaurants, etc..., but this is one of those resort areas where they pay-scale is right at the bottom of the heap. I discovered that the blues duo got $50 for their two-and-a-half hour performance. The guitar player drove 30 miles to the job so I doubt that he broke even on his expenses.

Tonight I'm a marina in Georgetown, SC, might end up here for a few days, depending upon the storm track, and with luck, I'll be in Florida by early next week. Everything depends upon the weather. The restaurant associated with the Marina has weekend entertainment, and I'm sure I could play some weeknights for tips and dinner, but the trek from the boat to the restaurant is nearly 1/8-mile over a boardwalk and up a steep ramp from the boat docks. Think I'll forgo this one. smile

Just another fun day in Paradise,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#353512 - 10/24/12 05:08 PM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
billyhank Offline

Gary,

Sounds like you are having a great cruise my friend.

Glad to see you are aware of the coming storm - stay safe.

Bill G

#353513 - 10/24/12 05:15 PM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

The trip has been incredible, lots of things I didn't anticipate, though. Because I'm by myself and navigating a very, very narrow channel, you must concentrate on the GPS/Plotter every moment. No time for naps, no place to anchor for lunch, and when it comes to bodily functions, a hospital urinal jug is your best friend. wink

The storm, Hurricane Sandy, appears as if it will stay about 200 miles offshore from where I'm at. However, because the storm is so large, the outer bands will probably have some nasty effects here. Tomorrow, I'm headed out very early and hope to make about 48 miles south to another marina that claims they are a good hurricane hole. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#353514 - 10/24/12 06:18 PM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Be safe sailor!!

#353517 - 10/24/12 07:22 PM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Gary,

You could write a book. I find it incredible that you are on this journey, and have the desire and will to continue your passion. I know I could never do it. For me, 4 years on a Destroyer, a long time ago, was enough 'sailing' to last me forever.

Larry

#353519 - 10/24/12 07:57 PM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Great to hear from you Gary! I can't believe that you are really doing this. This is too cool. I didn't realize the intra coastal was that tricky. Stay safe my friend!

Joe

#353520 - 10/24/12 08:02 PM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: Songman55]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Always good to hear from you, Gary ... stay well ...

#353643 - 10/27/12 07:29 AM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, sounds like you're having a great once-in-a-lifetime adventure and here's hoping that Hurricane Sandy doesn't 'dampen' that (pun intended smile ). I just wanted to urge you (un-needed, I'm sure) to always err on the side of caution if a weather decision has to be made. Over the years, I've scared the bejesus out of myself hundreds of times flying through bad weather (and this was in very capable aircraft). Beware of "get-home-itis" or in your case "get-there-itis". Mother Nature can be very unforgiving and 'she' isn't big on second chances. Just be careful and stay safe.

There are probably a lot of jealous guys around here wishing they had the cajones to undertake such an adventure. Like Russ, I've been wanting to explore the Southwest via motorcycle, but won't do it alone. My son is too busy making money to take time out to accompany me.......but maybe one day. Anyhoo, have a great trip and stay safe.

chas

#353644 - 10/27/12 07:35 AM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I talked to Gary yesterday. He is in port waiting to see how and where the storm develops. Unfortunately, the only marina nearby is a rather expensive yacht club. But, both he and his boat are safe and secure for now. So far his trip is what he expected it to be.

Deane

#353645 - 10/27/12 08:54 AM Re: Another Fun Day In Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary, If you get stranded and hungry, eat anything but those little saltwater catfish. Not even the Cajuns nor the Creoles eat them I've always been told.
Take care you old "FART."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online