SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#351952 - 10/01/12 10:14 AM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Let's face it .... there are certain sounds/nuances/capabilities/whatever of some instruments that will not be identically duplicated on a kb ... we do the best we can we what we've got and hopefully the audience is pleased ...
I think another dynamic at work here is that Rico has set his bar so high with his performances, that anything even slightly less than perfect is comment worthy ...

Keep up the good work, Rico ...

#351960 - 10/01/12 11:37 AM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Why go nuts?.. just play it your "own way" after all it's an arranger KB NOT a Real Trumpet... make it your own.

Hell Donny,

Why didn't I think of that, you are spot on, just play the dam thing like you want to play it, bend it like Beckham if you want and to hell with what anyone else thinks, got that Rico, leave it as it was.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#351974 - 10/01/12 02:20 PM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rico, you did a fine job on this song...Most of the folks expressing their displeasure in your Roland trumpet selection..are unaware...you were trying to simulate Eddie Calvert's trumpet...and guess what?..the Roland trumpet was pretty close...drown it a bit more in reverb, and it would be comparable...

As for using the Tyros trumpet as suggested...I say no...the Tyros is too thin and would not cut through the mix...and there is not a sound on the Tyros to minick the Calvert sound...

Your recording ..unlike many I have heard...at least the trumpet sound has movement and does not sound as mechanical as other recordings I have heard..

Maybe if other folks knew what you were trying to duplicate..there would have been more favorable comments...

BTW: Tony, Rico did use Tyros trumpet sections...you were just not paying attention...again...

#351977 - 10/01/12 02:37 PM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually Fran, the rendition I remember best was done by Perez Prado and that trumpet sounds exactly like the Yamaha Sweet Trumpet, which is not at all mechanical. You must be thinking of some other keyboard.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (10/01/12 02:39 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#351985 - 10/01/12 05:13 PM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Peter Baartmans demo of Yamaha's incredible SA2 Jazz Trumpet on the Tyros4...definitely one of my favorite SA voices, and very capably shown here. Certainly one of the best trumpet sounds on an arranger...natural and expressive and very responsive to the player's technique.

#351987 - 10/01/12 05:30 PM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary, Rico intended to duplicate the Calvert version...his choice...The version you mentioned is a bit different trumpet sound...common is the drenched reverb..
As for my mechanical comment..I am referring to a very fake sound that is evident...not just Yamaha..even Donny's Korg version...I should also include most of Roland trumpets too...It doesn't make them bad performances...I thought Rico had more movement in the trumpet sound..

Ian, that is a superb trumpet patch, but much different than a Calvert trumpet sound...I think I still question it's cutting ability..that was one of the things I disliked about the early Yamaha boards..

Edited by Fran Carango (10/01/12 05:32 PM)

#351990 - 10/01/12 06:03 PM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I see your point Fran, although I am enamored by the SA2 Jazz Trumpet, not for it's "cutting" ability, but for it's silkiness and response to player technique. It still sits very well in the mix, at least for my taste...we all have different ideas of what sounds best.

There are several SA Trumpets in the Tyros4 that cut more, but I prefer the warmth, smoothness, and expressiveness of the one Peter demoed above.

Ian

#352011 - 10/02/12 01:16 AM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: ianmcnll]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
The simple solution if it appeals to whoever plays it would be to use the T4 Cha Cha style. OTS 1 is the trumpet with the fall and just keep the style playing in tempo. I use this and it works good especially for dancing.

The other thing to consider is trumpet sound, especially vibrato has changed through the years. A very wide vibrato used to be used by some players years ago, (being a trumpet player myself, I always thought it sounded corny and unnatural) but this is old hat now. That's pretty much not done anymore today.

Just my 2 pfennigs

#352112 - 10/03/12 08:03 AM Re: Cherry Pink And apple BLossom White By Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
HI @ll,
Thank you guys for @ll your reply's

i like discusions like this because they give a better view of everything likes and dislikes
And i wil sure make another recording in the future when i have sorted out my midi problem
because i wanna have my T4 on my roland G70 76 keys

Greetings Rico Speak to you soon smile
wave

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online