#350904 - 09/11/12 05:53 AM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
HarryG Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Dave,

have you carried out the tests?
Been displayed errors in the display?

#350915 - 09/11/12 07:27 AM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: HarryG]
technicsplayer Offline

I'll carry on my private messages with Dave L here.

I'm afraid it's looking like a hardware fault or corruption of the internal flash memory.

You need to hold down C#3, D#3 and C#4 and switch on. This will give 12 pages of comprehensive tests. Do all the integrated circuit tests on the first few pages and the later pages.

In desperation you could also overwrite the flash areas of custom memory, home page, favourites and user midi settings from the initial data disk.

Apart from that it's a bench test with a competent technician.

#350940 - 09/11/12 01:05 PM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Thanks Harry and Technicsplayer for your latest comments
Harry the tests you suggested are OK .

Technicsplayer we will try out more extensive tests when my friend can assist me
Yesterday we downloaded the service manual.
I am a retired Motor mechanic and know how useful a manual is.
Unfortunately I don't understand electronics but with help we have been able to make some progress in some tests

Seeing others haven't experienced our problem we will have to be patient.

Dave L.

#350955 - 09/11/12 04:46 PM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Dave,

I've been following this post with great interest.

I know it's perhaps a silly question, but are any of the floppies you're trying to use 'locked'? Looking at the label side, my SX-KN7000 Initial Data Disk has two holes at the bottom. On the back side, the right hand hole can be locked by pushing the 'write-protect' tab upwards. (They are currently both open).

According to the Manual, and I quote: "Storage is not possible when the tab is open. Storage is only possible when the tab is closed" so I was wondering whether an open or closed tab is preventing the disk from loading properly.

I've also looked in my SX-KN7000 REFERENCE GUIDE. MIDI is covered from page 31 onwards, starting with a MIDI Implementation Chart. I have to admit it baffles me, but obviously, you are familiar with it so maybe there is an answer to your problem listed there.

Hope this helps in some way.

Audrey

#350956 - 09/11/12 05:26 PM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Hello Audrey,
Thanks for taking the time in putting forward your thouhts,
If you re-read the initial comment on the forum posts you may realise its an unusual problem
Nothing to do with a floppy or SD Card.
The K7 just on its own---if initialised puts the Keyboard in the Midi mode

In any mode you cannot access the Fingered mode under APC
If you put in a Tech disc with a song on it goes to midi and it discords as it can't access the fingered mode. and wants to play everything at a speed of 300.
If a floppy is inserted that is Midi it loads in as Tech

I have been wondering where the long standing Technics Forum people are, but things are waking up---- We sincerely hope that in time we will eventually get the problem sorted or have to buy another keyboard.
Unfortunately Mr Technics has made things very difficut for owners of their products [servicing, parts etc. ]---- we own more than 6 Technics products--- keyboard , organ and PR900 piano. We are grateful for the several help messages we have received via Technics Forum as well as direct emails.

Dave and Viv L.

#351002 - 09/12/12 12:55 PM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

For those watching progress on our sick KN7000
Further exploritory tests will be done on Tuesday 18th Sept.
Any further helpful suggestions or condolances welcome.

Hey the technician had better not nick one of its vital Organs

Hasn't the Kn7000 got some great quality Organ sounds
[ thats when it behaves like it was designed to do ].

Dave L.

#351009 - 09/12/12 04:10 PM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Wow! rather you than me Dave. I think I would take the easy way out and buy an old one from e-bay or similar site, just to get the spare parts. Meanwhile, I've looked in my Music files and found the following three names and addresses who may be able to help:-

Repairs and Spare Parts Technics KN7000:
Tel: 01702 546195
Fax: 91702 546195
email: bill@wdgreenhill.com

Repairs and Spare Parts - Staffordshire Organ Services:
John Lunt
378 Walsall Road
Walsall WS6 6DN
Tel: 01922 412583
email: luntwilrose@aol.com

Graham Tilney, Technote
Steel Close
Eaton Socon
St. Neots
Cambs PE19 8TT
Te: 01480 470320

I realise that Technote no longer deal with Technics instruments, but they may still have some ex Technics engineers working for them who could help you.

Worth a try anyway - good luck!

Audrey

#351036 - 09/12/12 11:35 PM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
So did you try overwriting the flash areas of custom memory, home page, favourites and user midi settings from the initial data disk as was suggested?

#351064 - 09/13/12 04:04 AM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Hello Nigel,
Putting in the original supplied floppy initial data disk the K7 screen shows up as Midi ----shows 4 segments on the disc --- If I endeavor to change to the Tech screen shows nothing on the disc .
Original problem showing it fangs

Midi and Tech reversed to where they should be.
I did load all the 4 items separately when it said Midi Mode and it did nothing to correst the problem
In a few days time my computer friend will assist me in doing the more extensive tests as suggested by Technicsplayer

Maybe there is something I don't understand as to how to overwrite the flash areas of custom memory,home page favourites and user midi settings-----presumably those memories can't clear because of the Tech to Midi crossover.

If there is anything also I could try lets know .

Dave L.

#351120 - 09/13/12 11:56 PM Re: naughty KN7000 [Re: Dave L.]
HarryG Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Dave,

have you even checked if the update was 1.6 successfully?

Here the description, can be displayed as the display of the release.

First Step:

Announcement of the installed version:
1. Switch off the keyboard.
2. Press in the SOUND GROUP the keys [PIANO] - [GUITAR] - [MALLET & ORCH PERC] and hold this during the turning on low-spirited.
3. Then after the turning on you see on the right below in the display the version number.
4. If the version number is same or even higher, as the offered here, an update is not necessary!

Attachments
Version.jpg

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online