Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#347987 - 07/29/12 01:07 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Mark79100
Don,

I’m wondering if the “female voice” done through the Helicon comes anywhere near close to a “passable” female voice.

Why try to be something you're not? Willie Nelson Wrote "Crazy" - sing it as he would!
Other typically associated "chick tunes" that were written and/or recorded by by male artists include:
"I will Survive", "Me and Bobbie McGee", "Wind Beneath My Wings", "I Can't Make You Love Me" (too many to remember right now) .... just be yourself.
(although, i DO have a fun time using the Barry White sound on my TC harmonizer .... it's too hard to resist!)

#347988 - 07/29/12 01:10 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't believe you could fool anyone into thinking a real live girl was singing. But maybe if you tweaked enough settings . . .who know. smile
DonM

#347997 - 07/29/12 05:19 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xzWbRwOio

Here is a girl that could use Don's harmonizer...and Mark should contact her...it will make his duo a hit...

#347999 - 07/29/12 05:50 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Here is a girl that could use Don's harmonizer...and Mark should contact her...it will make his duo a hit...

I couldn't get half way through that 'thing' ... I will NEVER understand why people post stuff like that on you tube or ANYWHERE ... are they so in need of attention - even if it is BAD?!?!? ... confused1
Somewhere this girl has family and/or friends ... aren't they embarrassed for her??? ... couldn't SOMEONE convince her to take this off the 'net ???

Edited by tony mads usa (07/29/12 05:52 PM)

#348003 - 07/29/12 08:59 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA

C'mon Fran.......she's obviously one of the patients that was in that insane asylum that Jack Nicholson was riding herd on in that "Shining" movie!

#348004 - 07/29/12 09:10 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: tony mads usa]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

I couldn't get half way through that 'thing' ... I will NEVER understand why people post stuff like that on you tube or ANYWHERE ... are they so in need of attention - even if it is BAD?!?!?

I’m still reeling from the cocktail party/social event I did at a friend’s house Friday night. It was advertised as “piano entertainment” but open to anyone who plays an instrument.

No sooner did I take my first break then Bill asks if he could play, as he “needs to entertain when he’s around people.” He had a “night club” spiel, but his playing and singing was completely off key. I couldn’t take more than 10 minutes of him. When I said to him, I’m going back on in 5 minutes, he replied (as he slammed down the cover) “you can play right now!” He also stormed out the front door.

Next was Susan, self-taught pianist. She taught herself how to play, but forgot to teach herself how to play to an audience! She played great songs, but...boom, boom, boom one song after another. No intro’s, endings, breaks, dynamics...nothing to indicate she was changing songs. Heck she even played Beer Barrel Polka in the same way she played Love is a Many-Splendored thing. After 30 songs, even I couldn’t tell where one ended and the other began. I politely told her I was returning to the piano. She obliged me. That was an easy one!

Then Artie the guitarist. Nice fellow, polite, respectful, but was too frightened to play his 70’s repertoire without me playing behind him. At least he left the stage without me having to call a bouncer.

Now, Jimmy the Fiddler. Wrote his own Karaoke backing tracks and proceeded to play the fiddle to each track. After 15 minutes of that, I yelled over to him that it was “time to go.” He made like he didn’t hear me. I had to pour ice water over his head!

Patricia, the children’s and nursing home entertainer. Does When You’re Smiling and Hello Dolly. I had difficulty backing her up, because I had to use my hands to cover my ears. She sounded like a man who sounded like a woman! I’m like in Bb and she’s somewhere in R#. Two songs was all she was going to get from me!

Richard, big husky Richard with the big, baritone voice and a bag full of CD’s to sell. I figured I couldn’t go wrong with him...professional...I thought. He sang Some Enchanted Evening and The Way You Look Tonight...badly. Swallowed his words and choked on some of them. His excuse: Couldn’t sing with an “accompanist he didn’t know and hadn’t worked with previously.” At least he got off the stage under his own volition.

The last act...Lucky and Florence. He’s an old time vaudeville pianist/singer from Brazil, probably about 110 years old and “sings in 27 languages“ (unfortunately English not being one of them). She’s an ex-dancer from England, maybe a year younger than him. So while she did Zumba movements, he hammered away at that piano for 45 minutes. By then I was too tired to even chase him off the stage. I gave up the fight!

Here’s my point: I was relaying all that to a music friend the next morning and asked her “WHY…..on Earth, do I need a “hook” to get these people off stage?” (the fiddle player I had to hit over the head with a broomstick after I drowned him in ice water). The answer: “this is a day and age when people are plain self-centered and full of themselves. They care about no one around them, and are going to do what pleases them, no matter who else has to suffer through it. In short, welcome to the “ME” generation!

My friend is more in touch then I am! Heck, I still think Teddy Roosevelt is President.

Anyhow, I wrote all this out, because it’s easier to do this than to go to therapy. I’m still recovering from it all! I swear....that’s the first and last time I allow my benevolence to supersede my own playing! I'll drink a gallon of bleach before I let that happen again!

Mark

#348027 - 07/30/12 09:59 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
This was done in late 90's. this woman used to sing with the Demensions, and now sings with us...

forget it- can't upload mp4's

Edited by sparky589 (07/30/12 10:21 AM)

#348071 - 07/30/12 04:50 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Mark, here's my simple advice on how to hire the best singers and musicians in town: Get a gig first then hire the best talent you can. If you're paying at least the "going rate" in your area and the singer/musician is availble the date you need them they will probably take your offer. Now if you appraoch a professional or even a semi pro/hobbiest with " I'm trying to get a dou started- are you available to rehearse?" your not going to have much luck. Who has time for that?!?

So get a gig, call up Ms. Pro Singer, if she accepts have her email you a list of her tunes (with the keys she sing them in) Then you have to do your homework and work up her tunes and just show up to the gig and play.

Good luck!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#348083 - 07/30/12 08:54 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: montunoman]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
So get a gig, call up Ms. Pro Singer, if she accepts have her email you a list of her tunes (with the keys she sing them in) Then you have to do your homework and work up her tunes and just show up to the gig and play.

I've come to the conclusion it was easier to find the Titanic than it is to find a sane female vocalist. Besides, my Horoscope said I only have 11 days left to live!

Mark

#348093 - 07/31/12 03:59 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps, if all you confirmed 'power solos' (snort, chortle!) have had trouble with girl singer after girl singer disappointing you, perhaps the fault lies with who YOU tend to get to want to sing with YOU...

The world is chock a block with great singers... but maybe they are looking for a GREAT player to back them up?

Not a machine. rolleyes

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online