SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#347625 - 07/23/12 01:29 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki

But turn OFF most of what the arranger can do, strip it down to just the drums, maybe the bass line, and play your little brains out over that, and I think the arranger holds itself up pretty well.

I thought that's what most arranger users did??? The guys who play outside the bedroom I mean..We all know it's not a band behind us so we do the MOST we can to play as MUCH as we can live...I agree with you Diki, and for the 25% of the time I use a style on an arranger, all I have running is mostly drums and bass... and sometimes only drums!!

#347626 - 07/23/12 01:31 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I think they (arrangers) are valuable for use as tools, but it's unwise to use them as crutches.

EXACTLY!

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
In September, for instance, I'm revising "Faux Diddley", my alter ego, complete with pork pie hat, motor scooter (gonna drive it onto the stage)

If it's that beautifully restored blue Cushman, you'd better not let anything happen to it or I'm holding you personally responsible smile smile .

Glad you got back safely.

chas

#347627 - 07/23/12 01:33 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I'm not sure what the topic is on this post...it seems to change like all our post smile

But I like to state what has been said many times already smile

The "arranger" keyboard is a "tool"...Like any tool, there are different skill levels ..to using the tool....also the finish product will be different with each user...

This being said....the "Arranger" keyboard is the "best" modern day keyboard available...period..It wears many hats..and will do more jobs, in different ways than any other type of keyboard...

This is why I chose an Arranger workstation in the first place..What other instrument can give you quick selections to sounds, layered or split, sounds that can be controlled with touch....Virtually the best drum machine you can find, built in to your keyboard...Most with great sequencers, when you need to write..or rework another file...
Sounds that are top knotch..that match any other source available...
Mic inputs with effects, that are easy to manage ..right in front of you...same with EQ and all mixing...
Most have a harmonizer that when used properly can add a dimension to certain songs...that really sound good...

And all your setting up , with your favorite sounds , effects , mic settings etc.....can be saved for future recall...

How could you not want a keyboard like this for your go to instrument?

It is not just about the "auto" stuff....there is not a better tool, for playing "live"...if it be left hand bass and piano, with a great drum machine (built in)...or the "arranger" bass line, for folks that can't play bass...or want to play two hand piano with the developed bass and drums from the keyboard...

The large selection of drum patterns and sounds, again the best you can find on any keyboard...

If the keyboards I have now are the last I will ever buy...I would still be a happy camper...I know they are great...and I for one think there will be a market fot these keyboards for a long long time...

The problem...most of today's players have to stop walking around with their noses up in the air....the arranger keyboard is too misunderstood....and many so called "Pros" are missing the boat..to how flexible an instrument they are passing on..

It is not the early 80's with toyish Casio and Yamaha entry models...Todays models are real instruments that can be used by "pros".... clap

PS: I thought I better use some happy faces to soften the effect... grin

#347629 - 07/23/12 02:03 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well said, Fran.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#347630 - 07/23/12 02:19 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: captain Russ]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
C'mon Russ....you have always said you are a musician, not an entertainer.
But now we hear you are making a grand entrance as "Faux Diddley", hat, guitar and all. Sounds like something an entertainer would do. smile

Break a leg...in a good sense

Eddie

#347631 - 07/23/12 02:34 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: btweengigs]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Actually, Eddie, I DO enjoy a few alter ego's I developed. Another is Country Performer Johnnie Master card.

See, I played an after hours gig, where the 9:00 12"00 country band upstairs, run by a long-time buddy would at first, ask me to sit in; then be a regular. Jerry was a kick-ass drummer, and I would gladly do anything he asked.

Regulars asked me to do more feature tunes. I knew there was a Johnny Paycheck, Johnny Cash, Johnny Dollar...so I reasoned that money was a cool element of my persona.

I got a bright metallic blue shirt with Porter Waggoner decorations and a huge foam cowboy hat. I played a telecaster, to which I stuck Mastercard stickers.

I hid behind a curtain and, when introduced, did the Chuck Berry duckwalk across the stage yelling "Charge"!

The regulars thought I was making fun of country music. IMAGINE THAT!

Then, I used to participate some live Steve Allen television skits, including "Chicken man"! (What a brilliant dude).

Sorry for the OT trip...

LOVE MY ARRANGERS FOR WHAT I USE THEM FOR!
(And, if I had to, I'd opt for the (UGH!) DJ)!

Russ (Faux Diddley) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (07/23/12 02:37 PM)

#347634 - 07/23/12 03:03 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: captain Russ]
Tony Hughes Offline

Russ,

The last film score you wrote was "GONE WITH THE WIND" rotf2

Cheers Russ

#347639 - 07/23/12 04:07 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: Tony Hughes]

Tony, hurts me to say it, but the last film score I wrote was called:

"The Effects of Poor Oral Care on Nursing Home Patients"

Pretty sad, huh?

Russ

#347640 - 07/23/12 04:11 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: captain Russ]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hells Russ,

Thats a mouth full.... cry
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#347641 - 07/23/12 04:39 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: Tony Hughes]

Mouthfull? VERY FUNNY, Tony. Actually, lack of oral healthcare in US nursing homes is a major problem. Bad oral care is responsible for all kinds of illness, including Pneumonia and certain kinds of heart failure.

Boring title of the film, but a cause very dear to me.

Russ

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online