SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#347643 - 07/23/12 05:02 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
have a listen to this performance Chas . You may like it. Everything you hear could be reproducd and played in arranger style on an arranger right now.

I dont know about you but i would certainly pay to hear this even if the beutiful singer was not singing and the fact it was played on an arranger or a main stream keyboard would not trouble me in the slightest because the skill of the musician is what shines through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWtMIBiU5eE&feature=plcp

#347652 - 07/23/12 06:14 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
One of my favorite tunes Spalding, but I have to be honest and say I didn't care for that performance. The young lady sounded like a Chaka Kahn wannabe, the vocal harmony seemed totally inappropriate where and how used, and the accompaniment was drum heavy and the piano licks seemed oh so contrived. I'd give the concept a B and the execution a D+. Of course, this is only MY opinion. BTW, what part was the arranger?

chas

#347654 - 07/23/12 07:15 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
JMHO
I admit to using SMF for SOME songs - Lord knows I screwed up ROYALLY in presenting one a short time ago - redface

I LOVE to hear LIVE musicians PLAYING instruments, be it as a soloist, in a small combo, in a full band, with or without vocals ... If you have TALENT I want to hear it.

I think there is a BIG difference between someone who PLAYS an arranger, and someone who ONLY plays/sings to backing tracks.

I fail to see the reasoning behind criticizing an arranger player solely because the person is playing an arranger.
In today's world, there are countless of excellent musicians sitting home because there is only a limited amount of work to be had. So, who gets the work? - the arranger player, because if necessary, he/she can fill the room with the sound of a full band, OR, if the situation warrants play as a duo or trio.

chas, you say that when you hear a 'soloist' you are hearing what comes out of that person's head, not someone else's ... does that mean you do not listen to a vocalist or a featured soloist with a live band behind them because what the band is playing may have come out of the head of the individual who "arranged" the band part, and not out of the head of the soloist?

Many of the people on this forum are hard working musicians whose only source of income is through 'entertaining' others while using an 'arranger keyboard'. To lump ALL arranger players as " modestly talented amateurs who lack either the time, the will, or the talent, to learn a 'real' instrument and who demand to sound good with the least possible effort" is just WRONG. Many of the players on this forum have gone to arrangers only to continue their livelihood. Is there something wrong in that?

I have seen some DJs who can REALLY make an affair a PARTY!!! But I have also seen DJs who make it seem like I am listening to a radio.

As for whether I would pick a OMB or a DJ? I would audition BOTH and pick based on TALENT!!!
I would rather see and hear a musician using his/her talent, rather than have someone 'spin' someone's records ...

JMHO
grin

PS chas, if I did not understand your position on this, or misinterpreted what you were saying, feel free to correct me ... wink

Edited by tony mads usa (07/23/12 07:18 PM)

#347659 - 07/23/12 07:55 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
To lump ALL arranger players as " modestly talented amateurs who lack either the time, the will, or the talent, to learn a 'real' instrument and who demand to sound good with the least possible effort" is just WRONG.

PS chas, if I did not understand your position on this, or misinterpreted what you were saying, feel free to correct me ... wink

Tony, if you go back and read my post, what I said was that this is the TARGET GROUP of the manufacturers. Many arranger players are fine musicians but they were fine musicians long before they took up the arranger. Even so, I'd still prefer to hear them on their original instrument (even if it's an accordion smile smile ).

Ok, I lied. I'd rather hear the arranger.

smile

chas

#347660 - 07/23/12 07:56 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can play "real" instruments, including guitar, drums, trumpet, bass and organ. I CHOOSE to play arrangers instead. Don't really care what anybody thinks about it except the people who pay to come hear me.
At times I reluctantly play MP3s for the eleven girls at every wedding reception that want to line dance. That's when I usually take a break and go pee.
DonM

#347661 - 07/23/12 08:16 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

I think the point of posts such as this one is to stimulate discussion, not hostility. There's no law that says we all have to agree on everything (except for Gary's speedy recovery). I guess the original question is not very clear. It could be anything from 'which would you hire to do a wedding' to 'who is the more legitimate musician'. Depends on the venue, depends on your taste in music, depends on way too many variables to say anything definitively. Therefore, the only value to a post like this is mainly social interaction. That being the case, why not keep it friendly.

chas

#347662 - 07/23/12 08:54 PM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Oh No- not more accordion jokes...

#347677 - 07/24/12 06:42 AM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi chas . I said that the performance i pointed to could easily have been produced on any arranger and whether it had or hadnt i would still pay to go hear the talented musician ship that is clearly on display. Fair enough if its not you type of music.

I would definately pay to hear that. but you i suspect you have some years on me whistle in that respect !! Will try an find a older....much older styled example fo you ha ha !!

just playing with you sir.

#347684 - 07/24/12 07:50 AM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

why explain to anyone ...... after 40+ years of performing I could care less what anyone here thinks of how and why I do it..... most only wish they could make a FULL time living playing music.....I feel blessed that I can...end of story.

Signed a proud Pro Musician, Singer, DJ, KJ.

Edited by Dnj (07/24/12 07:51 AM)

#347688 - 07/24/12 08:44 AM Re: OMB or DJ? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
why explain to anyone ...... most only wish they could make a FULL time living playing music.....I feel blessed that I can...end of story.

Signed a proud Pro Musician, Singer, DJ, KJ.

Great point Donny, no doubt about it and this comes from a frustrated musician who knows he could have never made a living full time in music. Some got it and some don't. I do make a good living but I'm knocking myself silly with the daily commute to metro Boston each day, I'm in the car about 2.5 hours for a 110 mile round trip commute.........and leave the house at 5:30 AM..... then get home at 5 PM. I do like my work and when things go right like they happen to be right now it's not like work.............. nevertheless when you're blessed with enough musical talent to make a living out of it and be able to play golf or fish or whatever your past time is, that's hard to beat. God bless those that can and do so.

I love jazz and would like to play it even more, but I can't so I stick to an arranger and just have some fun and play a few gigs here and there.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online