SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#347318 - 07/19/12 02:38 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If I see a laptop being used to play SMF/MP3...strike one.

If the singer/performer spends little or no time actually playing the keyboard and is essentially a Karaoke act...strike two.

If the singer/performer is unprepared, unprofessional and can’t hold my attention...strike three.

We all have our limitations; the above are mine....I wouldn't waste my time or money to see a performer with any of the aforementioned issues.

There are too many genuine player/performers out there I can be enjoying...McRorie is one I would see again and again...he's the real deal, and despite the genre not being for every one's tastes, there's no denying he plays all parts "live"...drums, bass, rhythm, lead, vocals...he has earned the moniker "Power Single" in my opinion.

Ian

#347319 - 07/19/12 02:40 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran, I ABSOLUTELY know what a laptop will be used for when I survey a bandstand. I can't remember when I was wrong.

I have the right to my opinion, which is, I don't like it, and I WALK AWAY! Almost everyone I have ever heard uses them as crutches to coverup their lack of talent.

It's pure preference, not ignorance. I can tell what I'm going to hear (in most cases) by looking at the kind of and set-up of a sound system and other stage equipment. Certainly, I can tell what someone is likely to play by looking at the kind and set-up of a guitar.

I guess everyone has their right to have an opinion about my opinion (gets complicated, don't you think?), but to call that opinion uninformed or silly is disrespectful.

That gets me a little bent out of shape, so I guess I'll just have to console myself on the private 747 to my job in Dubai in a week or two, or when I cash the $17,000.00 check that came in the mail today for a 15 minute film score for a local corporation. I can laugh all the way to the bank!

Again, it is my right to:

* learn all the lyrics so I don't need a laptop.

* Play music that is possible to do well with the
equipment and personnel on the bandstand without
"ghost tracks" which are impossible to do live.

* Choose other options than arranger play. I make more
playing solo instrumental guitar at some venues than
three piece bands make.

* Appreciate the arranger for what I use it for...an
occasional live performance instrument, but mostly, a very
good tool to do film score roughs with. I could actually
use the arranger for lots of completed scores, but, if
the budget is sufficient, I play all parts and hire top
area musicians, even when it costs me, and no one would
know the difference when mix down is complete (but ME!).

So, again, when I see a DJ, a laptop or Karaoke, I GET UP AND LEAVE! I respect others' right to doing things their way, but I DON"T HAVE TO LIKE IT OR DO THE SAME.

SO THERE!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (07/19/12 02:49 PM)

#347320 - 07/19/12 02:47 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
And here I am ...still sitting, waiting for the mailman to deliver my $85 check from a nursing home...so I can go to dinner at Crackerbarrel.... smile

#347321 - 07/19/12 02:54 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
..."Looks" is as important on stage as the vocal ability.....don't dismiss this as chauvinistic...How many homely girls do you know that are successful as singers on stage.....?....neither do I..

Oink! Oink! Let me present:

Lady Gaga (ever see her without makeup)
Nina Simone (loved her but...dammmmmmn)
Kate Smith (good thing she was patriotic)
Kelly Clarkson (check out her early 'Idol' auditions)
Carol Channing (UGH)
Janis Joplin
Grace Jones
Susan Boyle
Minnie Pearl

Any of these women could make you consider 'switching teams' smile smile . I'm not saying that good looks is not an added bonus, BUT......personally, I'd rather listen (yeah, even on stage) to an ugly girl that can really sing than a pretty girl that can't.

chas

#347322 - 07/19/12 02:55 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran, got to go to work. I like you and hope you know that I consider this a basic difference of opinion, which in no way affects our personal relationship.

I'd be honored to be on your bandstand, laptop, MP3's girls (especially the girls) and all.

Be well,

Russ (REALLY AGREE ON THE GIRL THING) Lay

#347323 - 07/19/12 03:05 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
..."Looks" is as important on stage as the vocal ability.....don't dismiss this as chauvinistic...How many homely girls do you know that are successful as singers on stage.....?....neither do I..

Carol Channing (UGH)
Janis Joplin
Grace Jones
Susan Boyle
Minnie Pearl

Any of these women could make you consider 'switching teams' smile smile . I'm not saying that good looks is not an added bonus, BUT......personally, I'd rather listen (yeah, even on stage) to an ugly girl that can really sing than a pretty girl that can't.

chas

Chas on this rare occasion I agree with you 100%....
if you want a sex show go to a topless bar I say....
what the music sounds like to the listener enjoying it is where the beauty lies IMO.

#347324 - 07/19/12 03:05 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: cgiles]
Tonewheeldude Offline

As normal with internet forums, ignore the relevant comments and pick up on the details to reinforce a matter of opinion into fact.

Thankfully in the real world these 'discussions' don't hold any water.

By the way, Gaga's usual No Make up face is actually part of her display and is just more careful makeup. This photo is from before Gaga and the real person.

Attachments
lady_gaga_without_makeup.jpg

Description: Lady Gaga Without Makeup

Edited by Tonewheeldude (07/19/12 03:13 PM)

#347325 - 07/19/12 03:06 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Who are we to judge? .....look in the mirror people sheeeesh.
As far as lady gaga she make 90 million last year?, now that's a beautiful thing.. wink

Edited by Dnj (07/19/12 03:12 PM)

#347327 - 07/19/12 03:11 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Carol Channing (UGH)
Janis Joplin
Grace Jones
Susan Boyle
Minnie Pearl

chas

Come on Chas, that isn't fair...we were talking about us common folks hiring girl singers... smile

That list of Corporate marketing, over hyped, over produced "ladies"..... eek

You do have some homely gals on that list........but there are only a couple on that list that could drop in at the CrabTrap and fill in on stage...they are not bread and butter performers..and I dare to say could not cut it.. grin

and not just the ones that are dead wink

#347329 - 07/19/12 03:27 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Oh Oh! Looks like I riled up a Gaga fan. Yeah, I'm sure she wakes up every morning with eyebrows trimmed, lashes plucked and combed, lips glossed, and every hair in place. My bad. I've seen this woman???? a number of times on TV WITH makeup and I stick by my decision to include her on my 'ugly' list. On balance, as I "look in the micro" smile smile , I'm pretty sure I'd be on hers too.

chas

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online