SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#347293 - 07/19/12 09:44 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
No big deal there Fran, we do "ALL" that every gig anyway for years every, Lh bass, no bass, no arranger, DJ,karaoke, Mp3's who freakin cares? it's all good...just make music & make money and survive,......now to see a female "Power Single" in action that's a treat.. let's face it CHANGE is here people, the "old ways" are slowly disappearing like it or not, times change, people change, nobody cares,.....embrace it, drop the ego,jump on the bandwagon, or get left in the dust,.......

Here is one..Her name is Kristen Coryell.. smile

Attachments
DSCF0913.JPG

Edited by Fran Carango (07/19/12 09:54 AM)

#347295 - 07/19/12 10:38 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Girl singer, too. Good to see you were keeping your eyes off her congas, Donny. laugh

#347299 - 07/19/12 11:11 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Never heard of a power single. Did hear of a power trio. That is a trio where each player is a powerhouse, and the final product is as "full" and entertaining as bigger groups. Each player is good enough to be a feature.

Thing is, if you have to tell everyone how good you are....you're probably NOT!

The exception is UD. He's that good, and I'm surprised that he would take the time to tell us what everyone already knows. I'm a BIG FAN, MP3's, laptops, etc. notwithstanding. I look past all that at the talent.

As an occasional member of an audience I have the right to an opinion, even if some, including some here don't care what that opinion is.

I would stay and enjoy a visit at the bandstand anyone here worked, whatever the material or equipment.

But, when I see a laptop on a bandstand and don't know the performer, I leave, PERIOD! DJ's and Karaoke? FORGET IT!

I don't look down on those who use whatever they use,

I guess it's all in the eye of both the performer and members of the audience.

UD and Donny are two of my favorites, but they will never convince me that it's OK for ME to use laptops, sequences, MP3's or much of the automation that's available. I only use an arranger when there is no alternative, and that, believe it or not, is rarely...not 10 % of my jobs. That does not mean I think that they shouldn't do whatever they like; it DOES mean that they should respect my choice to do it differently. (and, it goes without saying, I'm sure that's the case).

Some are entertainers; I'm not. For some, the show is the deal. For me, content is everything. My audiences are smaller and much more critical. Incidentally, Tony, sometimes, I have to play "behind a ham sandwich"...so quietly, I don't interrupt the discussions going on st the table. I'm often the "invisible" musician LOL!

In a major way, I've sold out. I play society music for big bucks, when, as a "purist", I should be playing hardline jazz in a run-down warehouse for next to nothing. I'm just not that much into STARVATION! LOL!

There is no RIGHT WAY...just the way that each of us can live with.

Here's hoping each of us has continued success; however we define it.

Respectfully,

Russ (think I'll start using a kazoo) Lay

#347306 - 07/19/12 12:09 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Thing is, if you have to tell everyone how good you are....you're probably NOT!

But, when I see a laptop on a bandstand and don't know the performer, I leave, PERIOD! DJ's and Karaoke? FORGET IT!

I don't look down on those who use whatever they use,

I guess it's all in the eye of both the performer and members of the audience.

I agree Russ..."if you have to tell everyone how good you are....you're probably NOT!"

In my case, I don't have any exceptions.

The best players I know, are also quite humble, and have no need to stroke their own ego, or have any one else do it for them.

Case in point with me, was Oscar Peterson...I spent most of the day with the man, showing him how to get the most from a PSR-9000Pro, and he was one of the gentlest, and most humble people I have ever met...it felt like I always knew him.

In my job, I meet some very, very talented performers, and those with big egos are, fortunately, in the minority.

I'm much the same regarding seeing a single performer using laptop, Russ, and if they aren't actually playing during the performance, I leave.

I'm not a fan of Karaoke at anytime.

Ian

#347307 - 07/19/12 12:21 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Uncle Dave]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Power single -

In truth - I probably sounded just as good 25 years ago....
smile

No use asking anyone UD if you did sound better then, they are probably all dead guitar
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#347308 - 07/19/12 12:30 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

You guys do know..there are many functions a laptop will do for you...To judge an act because you see a laptop on stage,,is just foolish...and this coming from my synthzone friends... smile

A laptop is used for lyrics, that some of us can't remember...or it could be the chords of a tune...maybe more than just the 4 basic chords some of you use grin

It could be the backing parts that are needed to present the song in a way the audience wants to hear...

It could be the source of sounds the performer is using, VST's and superior sounds than you would get from a PAx or Tyros..
It could be the soft arranger program instead of a bulkier arranger keyboard...

The laptop could be the instrument that runs the show...lighting, sound, programing etc..

It could be the tool for break music....

It could be the best resource for request songs..

BTW: the arranger keyboards we use, the workstation keyboards we use, the digital piano we use, are all in the fashion of a laptop (without the keys)...These keyboards are computer based..the components are inside as in the laptop..

Think about it before you judge by what you think you see.. wink

#347309 - 07/19/12 12:35 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Tony Hughes]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Power single -

smile

No use asking anyone UD if you did sound better then, they are probably all dead guitar

Tony, I was there smile and yes he did sound better....Today he has lost his way..using Korg arranger keyboards, Bose "hat rack" systems grin

25 years ago , he was smarter...he used Rhodes Moog, and Roland drum machines and synths....He just lost his way shocked

#347310 - 07/19/12 12:42 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Sorry - but the whole karaoke analogy is in my opinion, tosh.

If a singer has a 5 piece band behind them, does it make them any better or worse than a singer with a Recording of a 5 piece band behind them?

Have you thought that maybe the vocalist singing to a backing track is:
a: getting paid as much as if they had a keyboard player/band with him/her. (how many of you dropped your bands in the 70s and brought an organ with rhythms because you could get more money as a solo artist?)

b: can't get a keyboard player/band up to the standard of the backing track. (maybe the vocalists are having the same trouble you as a keyboard player are)

c: just enjoy working on their own. Just as some of you guys do.

I know a few amazing vocalists that sometimes sing with a band or guitarist and sometimes use their own, or commercial backing tracks (Big band/ Swing).

Also....I know a few bands who reinforce their sound with backing tracks, pre-prepared by themselves. For instance the female vocalist of a local Showband sings over her own voice which is her backing singer. It also has the click track which runs through their in ear monitors. They are already a five piece and play small venues. (If they employed more vocalists, a third guitarist and second keyboard player it wouldn't even cover their fuel costs)

At the end of the day, the audience is there to be entertained and so use every means available to make sure the crowd get there moneys worth.

The only exception are 'professional audiences' (e.g. jazz clubs)who pay to experience the unique interaction and inspiration that happens between good musicians playing together.

As long as nobody is faking/miming its all good stuff as far as I am concerned.

#347312 - 07/19/12 12:49 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Power single -

smile

Tony, I was there smile and yes he did sound better....Today he has lost his way..using Korg arranger keyboards, Bose "hat rack" systems grin

25 years ago , he was smarter...he used Rhodes Moog, and Roland drum machines and synths....He just lost his way shocked

Fran,

He's lost is way because he's lost his memory, he's forgot what he sounded like, have you thought you have too. I can't remember what I did today Fran rotf2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#347316 - 07/19/12 01:59 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
This is what I'd call a real "POWER SINGLE"...met this guy many years ago when he performed at a local bar...no styles, no Karaoke singing over SMF or MP3...just great talent and clever use of technology.

He puts on quite a show...the lights are triggered by the drum foot switches and chest pads...he "sings" the electric guitar solos.

Definitely one of the silliest acts I have seen in a long while..

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online