How did you see through all that claptrap clap

Tony

#347240 - 07/18/12 11:36 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,
Tony

lets just say I know what I'm talking about, I had a girl & a guy lead singers in my 7pc band for 20+ years ......I also had a duo with a girl for years also KB/Guitar......now I was lucky and had minimal group problems,......but last 17 years as a Power Single and I wouldn't trade it for the world..as I said if you can't sing lead all night then get someone to do it girl or guy....but, be prepared for all the consequences, financially and personally....have fun.

Edited by Dnj (07/18/12 11:36 AM)

#347244 - 07/18/12 01:51 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Like Fran, I have worked with several female vocalists over the years, both in band situations and as a duo. He makes some good points.

Fortunately, I've never had any issues as the relationships were based on mutual respect, and the desire to make the other, or others, sound good.

It has to be teamwork, and professional stage presentation and interaction is extremely important as many people "hear with their eyes"...not to mention the music should be well prepared and suitable for a female vocalist.

It also depends on the quality of the venues you play. Choose wisely.

Ian

#347247 - 07/18/12 04:02 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,
Tony

lets just say I know what I'm talking about, I had a girl & a guy lead singers in my 7pc band for 20+ years ......I also had a duo with a girl for years also KB/Guitar......now I was lucky and had minimal group problems,......but last 17 years as a Power Single and I wouldn't trade it for the world..as I said if you can't sing lead all night then get someone to do it girl or guy....but, be prepared for all the consequences, financially and personally....have fun.

Donny ... what is a "POWER" SINGLE ... as opposed to - lets say - a NON POWER SINGLE ??? confused1
inquiring minds NEED to know ...
thnx

Edited by tony mads usa (07/18/12 04:02 PM)

#347248 - 07/18/12 04:57 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Donny ... what is a "POWER" SINGLE ... as opposed to - lets say - a NON POWER SINGLE ??? confused1
inquiring minds NEED to know ...
thnx

"Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble".....Mac Davis

chas

#347249 - 07/18/12 05:24 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Chas known in the business a power single is someone who sounds like a full band with vocals and can cover a danc floor also vs let's say a single piano player doing background music ....

#347250 - 07/18/12 05:29 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

This is what I'd call a real "POWER SINGLE"...met this guy many years ago when he performed at a local bar...no styles, no Karaoke singing over SMF or MP3...just great talent and clever use of technology.

He puts on quite a show...the lights are triggered by the drum foot switches and chest pads...he "sings" the electric guitar solos.

#347251 - 07/18/12 06:25 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"Power single " is often misused and misunderstood term when it comes to music entertaining... laugh

A real "power single" is a player that has command of his/her audience as a dominant player/performer....the "power single" will maintain a "Dance" floor, with "big" sound...with or without vocals.....They are not a lay backed performer....

I know many performers that claim this title....but they are not a true "power single"....In fact I only know of one or two single acts that qualify....

The real power single will not rely on MP3 tracks, but will use sequence backing that they manipulate in real time....If you ever see a "power single" you will know it.. frown

Ian's video clip is a good example of a power single, not because of the gimmicky way he does it...but the way he does it, and his demand attention from the audience...

I hope I explained...without insulting the folks that thought they were "power singles"..

For sure...I am not..I can pretend to be for short performances grin

Don't get "power single" confused with "Solo" entertainer...there is big difference.. wink

#347256 - 07/18/12 07:09 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

I think this guy, McRorie, is so much my definition of a "Power Single", simply because he is playing all the parts himself, "live"...bass Left Hand, Rhythm chords Right Hand, Lead vocals and Lead Guitar via voice and mic, and drums by footwork and hands. There is not one part pre-recorded.

If the primary function of the performer is simply singing over a prerecorded background, such as an MP3 or any kind of an SMF, they are hardly a "Power Single" in my opinion, no matter how much the audience is captivated and/or enthralled.

They are, what I would call, a great "entertainer", or "solo entertainer"....some people would even go so far as to call them professional Karaoke performers, depending on how much actual keyboard playing was being done, but, "entertainer" works just fine for me.

Ian

PS...just for the record, I don't consider myself a "Power Single".

#347258 - 07/18/12 09:23 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Power single -
One person running a show and making a big sound. The tools & techniques vary, but a talented emcee is required and one with a working knowledge of dancing, tempos and room rhythms.
Many of us use multiple sources as backing or supplemental backing, but one thing is consistent - One person running the show and making a big sound with whatever tools he/she chooses.
I proudly use all the tools available to me, including SMF, MP3, CDG, rhythm patterns, arranger trax, manual bass with live chording along with strong vocals and harmonies - BUT - if a prerecorded assistant ever fails ... I can go into "100% live mode" in an instant and make it seem like that was my intent.
I'm sick of the discussions comparing "players" and non "players" based on the degree of automation used - you can't be a purist and play an arranger, just as you can't be a purist and sing in a microphone. These electronic "buddies" are here to enhance, thicken and fill out the sound - use 'em or not .... it's your choice, but if you sit at an arranger .... don't throw stones at the guy who stands behind a computer. You never know how many hoops he's jumping through to make the room happen.
This is my 43rd year making money as a musician, and I've done it in almost every conceivable way with almost every combination of tools/instruments available.
In truth - I probably sounded just as good 25 years ago with no automation but the drum machine, playing Rhodes (right hand) Moog bass (left hand) and jumping up and down between the Rhodes and the "Synth du jour". I played rooms that 5 pc bands played and got the same money - I had bigger crowds than many of the bands. My summer spot at the Jersey shore asks me to work weekends every year, but it's too much with my teaching schedule.
Hi, my name is Uncle Dave, and I'm a power single.
smile

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online