SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#344197 - 04/30/12 02:19 AM Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Besides playing old war songs etc what songs go down well in nursing homes ?

I play Country Western, Big Band, Scottish Music living in Scotland but would like some other ideas ?

#344205 - 04/30/12 06:31 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: MusicalMemories]
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Along with your C&W and BigBand, try some 50s Rock and Roll! Many of the people were teens then. They love it.

#344206 - 04/30/12 06:45 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: MusicalMemories]
Beakybird Offline

Google the top hits and top movie songs of the late 40's to late 50's in your country, and I think that you'll get a lot of great ideas.

#344207 - 04/30/12 07:16 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All of the above.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#344209 - 04/30/12 07:33 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
There are so many great tunes to pick from the 20’s-60’s. While I’m not at all a NH veteran, I done enough to know that a good mix of “monster hits” from the big band era, classic C&W, 50’s early 60’s rock and R&B, songs from the “Great American Song Book” all go over well. Maybe add some Patriotic, Show tunes, and Hymens too. You can never go wrong with Sinatra and Elvis hits.

But you never know… I’ve had folks in their 70’s-80’s request the Eagles “Hotel California,” the Doors “Light My Fire”, The Village People’s “YMCA” Cindy Lauper’s ‘Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” and Lady Gaga. But again, you do fine with hits from the 20’s-60’s.

I happen to have a NH job today and I’m putting together a list right now. Here’s what I’m considering:

After The Loving
All My Loving
All of Me
All the Things You Are
At The Hop
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Beyond The Sea
Blue Berry Hill
Blue Suede Shoes
Chattannoga Choo-Choo
Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White
Crazy
Fly Me To the Moon
Folsom Prison Blues
Good Luck Charm
In The Mood
Jonny B Good
My Girl
My Way (thanks Gary for the style)
Quando, Quando, Quando
Release
Rock Around The Clock
Satin Doll
Sea of Love
She’s Not You (Elvis)
Star Dust
Sweet Caroline
Travelin’ Man
Under The Boardwalk
Your Cheatin’ Heart

Sorry I’m kind of rambling on and on. I hope that helps!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#344211 - 04/30/12 07:39 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: donpatt]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By: donpatt
Along with your C&W and BigBand, try some 50s Rock and Roll! Many of the people were teens then. They love it.

Yes! Sometimes when I'm about to play my last song I ask the audience "you'd y'all like to hear some Big Band, Country or Rock and Roll?" They always reply "Rock and Roll!"

#344212 - 04/30/12 07:41 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: MusicalMemories]
montunoman Offline

Also you may ask if anybody is having a B-Day that Month (or last month or next month) Play/sing happy birthday for them. Everybody likes to sing along to a good version of Happy Birthday.

#344213 - 04/30/12 08:12 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: montunoman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman
There are so many great tunes to pick from the 20’s-60’s. While I’m not at all a NH veteran, I done enough to know that a good mix of “monster hits” from the big band era, classic C&W, 50’s early 60’s rock and R&B, songs from the “Great American Song Book” all go over well. Maybe add some Patriotic, Show tunes, and Hymens too. You can never go wrong with Sinatra and Elvis hits.

But you never know… I’ve had folks in their 70’s-80’s request the Eagles “Hotel California,” the Doors “Light My Fire”, The Village People’s “YMCA” Cindy Lauper’s ‘Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” and Lady Gaga. But again, you do fine with hits from the 20’s-60’s.

I happen to have a NH job today and I’m putting together a list right now. Here’s what I’m considering:

After The Loving
All My Loving
All of Me
All the Things You Are
At The Hop
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Beyond The Sea
Blue Berry Hill
Blue Suede Shoes
Chattannoga Choo-Choo
Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White
Crazy
Fly Me To the Moon
Folsom Prison Blues
Good Luck Charm
In The Mood
Jonny B Good
My Girl
My Way (thanks Gary for the style)
Quando, Quando, Quando
Release
Rock Around The Clock
Satin Doll
Sea of Love
She’s Not You (Elvis)
Star Dust
Sweet Caroline
Travelin’ Man
Under The Boardwalk
Your Cheatin’ Heart

Sorry I’m kind of rambling on and on. I hope that helps!

Amazing I play many of those at my 1 hour gigs. One comment about My Way. I many times will sing/play My Way the last song of the gig. I stole a line from Sinatra used at his Madison Square Garden performance in what I think was 1974. Old blue eyes said at that concert, "And now ladies and gentlemen, the National Anthem, but no need to stand". One time at an assisted living facility that's the way I opened my playing My Way. At least one member of the audience's hearing was poor, one guy a veteran stood up and and saluted the entire song. I'm careful now how I phrase the intro of My Way.

#344214 - 04/30/12 08:20 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: MusicalMemories]
Dnj Offline

Besides being in Scotland which is a big song choice concern vs the USA......... It Doesn't matter what you play, ....
But how you play it!

#344221 - 04/30/12 10:31 AM Re: Songs That Go Down Well In Nursing Homes [Re: MusicalMemories]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I Saw the Light, I'll Fly Away, Just Over in the Gloryland, One Day at a Time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online