SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#344272 - 05/01/12 12:25 PM The best Hammond clone I've heard to date-Korg BX3
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland

#344274 - 05/01/12 01:02 PM Re: The best Hammond clone I've heard to date-Korg BX3 [Re: Mockie]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I must say, that sounds pretty awesome...I had a B-3 with two Leslies for many years, and Korg really has that sound nailed with their new BX-3.

I also believe that having it played through a real Leslie (as in the video) makes it even better than through it's own rotary simulator, although the latter is more than okay.

A friend of mine has an original Korg BX-3 from way back in the 80's, a relatively rare instrument today (they also made the more popular single manual CX-3) and when it is played through his Leslie 147RV (actually one of my old ones) it is surprisingly close to the Hammond (not so much with it's own rather dated simulator).

Here's an old BX-3 demo (there may be better ones) played through a Leslie 760.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyMcSnNsAPw

The new Korg BX-3 also sounds some sweet and Hammondy through the Neo Ventilator Rotary simulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJ5W1xr1o0

They make great gear.

Ian

#344275 - 05/01/12 01:16 PM Re: The best Hammond clone I've heard to date-Korg BX3 [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
That Korg sounded pretty good...over the years, I've played several that have been in the $5,000.00 range that sounded great.

Wonder what the Leslie is?

Still play a B-3 and 147 RV three-four times a month at a club where they have jazz night (usually Thursdays).

Other times, I play a C-1 or old XB-2 with either a Motion sound 145 or just Motion sound top rotor box.

Really good player, too! Great left hand!

R.

#344278 - 05/01/12 01:35 PM Re: The best Hammond clone I've heard to date-Korg BX3 [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Really good player, too! Great left hand!

R.

Yes, he sure is, Russ...I forgot to add that in my post...his left hand is really good...hard to play pedals that fast!

I think even the great Jimmy Smith used the pedals mainly for accenting his left hand bass, although players like Barbara Dennerlein certainly bring pedals to a high level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY

Ian

#344282 - 05/01/12 02:07 PM Re: The best Hammond clone I've heard to date-Korg BX3 [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ian, I think the "hole" left when playing traditional walking bass is, in great part, an essential element of that particular style.

I was lucky enough to see Jimmy Smith play with Jame Moody. On "Moody Blues", Smith was using a delightful foot bass line, leaving his left hand free for fantastic chord inversions.

I LOVE walking left hand bass...so lucky I get to play that style on a regular basis.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online