SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3425 - 01/26/06 05:04 AM Recommendations please
Bigdaddy Offline

I am a piano player from the days when my band used to haul around a piano (yes, an actual instrument).

Anyway, I am getting back into the swing after 20 years (the last keyboard I had was a Rhodes stage model). I will be playing a good weighted key digital piano that will also cover the Rhodes sounds and I need something in addition to cover the B3 as well as occasional analogue type synth leads, brass and strings.

I like an organ to play like an organ and a piano to play like a piano - thus the two keyboards.

What keyboard has the best B3 w/ Leslie sound out there and can also handle a smattering of basic synth sounds as described?

Oh, and I am behind on the best keyboard amps these days, too.

Thanks!

BD

#3426 - 01/26/06 05:34 AM Re: Recommendations please
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
What's with this "The Best" stuff? ;-)
No such thing. SOme like software instruments like NI B4, Some like organs of the Phantom, Motif and Triton workstations, some hate emulations altogether and stick to using the real thing.

I think any decent KB workstation of today can take care of organ sounds. Surely there are dedicated organs as well. Most of us KB players tend to find the middle ground and go for workstations because they do a bit of everything and often do it well. To my taste Yamaha Motif Es has some nice organs and rhodes sounds but for real
authenticity I prefer NI B4 and Lounge lizard software instruments. However since I don't take a laptop to gigs I only tend to use software synths in a studio
environment.

Also, I don't use KB amps and instead prefer powered studio monitors (again, never had to take them to gigs) so you'll have to wait 'til others post. Also, since playing live is what you're getting ready for I suggest you post over at The Bar and General Arranger KB forums here. Don't let the word "Arranger" fool you. Everybody around here knows a thing or two about organ and EP sounds as well as live work.

#3427 - 01/26/06 07:50 AM Re: Recommendations please
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roland VR-760 will be all you need...

#3428 - 01/26/06 07:54 AM Re: Recommendations please
Fran Carango Offline

#3429 - 01/26/06 08:00 AM Re: Recommendations please
Bigdaddy Offline

Yes, I am aware of the Roland V-Combo. But it seems to be more than I need since I am covering the pianos and Rhodeses with another KB. Is the VK-8 expandable, that is, can I add good synth, brass and strings to what is onboard - or does it have decent such onboard?

I guess, though, I was thinking smaller, lighter, less expensive.

And what of amps?

Thanks, BTW, all for responding.

BD

#3430 - 01/26/06 08:16 AM Re: Recommendations please
Fran Carango Offline

BD, the VR can install any of the Roland SRX boards...The strength of the instrument would be to use it as the piano, organ and synth..No need to carry another board..Weight , if I recall was around 30 pounds..It has good action for piano playing and still handle the organ touch with waterfall keys..

#3431 - 01/26/06 08:19 AM Re: Recommendations please
Fran Carango Offline

The VK8 already has a good selection of synth sounds, but can not add additional boards[expansion]...That is why I would take the V-Combo over the VK...You lose nothing and have more to gain...

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online