SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#341296 - 03/02/12 09:55 PM Question about panning
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
I am enjoying working with my new Bose L1 compact, but am wondering what happens to your panning settings. I have spent quite a lot of time on testing and getting these settings to how I like them in all my registrations, but cant see much difference once I play through the Bose. Any explanation - Is it worth worrying about panning?? Jean Olivia

#341309 - 03/03/12 01:26 AM Re: Question about panning [Re: Jean Olivia]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Jean Olivia

Primarely, it is because the Bose is monophonic. It universely spreads the sound, but not separately like two stereo speakers.

In stereo, panning would place different instruments left or right in the stereo field like a real band. Since there are two speakers spread apart, you can achieve separation.

There is a long standing debate over stereo vs mono. My opinion is that lugging two speakers so a few people in the sweet spot can here this separation is not worth the hassle. Others feel differently.

In your case, I wouldn't worry about changing the panning at all. IIf you like what you hear, others will too.

Bernie

#341336 - 03/03/12 01:00 PM Re: Question about panning [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
This subject was discussed last year and my take on the subject is:

1-After taking 2 wires from the from the back of my keyboard (Stereo) into a “Y” connection; two wires coming into one and putting the “Y” connection into the Bose Compact I heard no separation or panning right and left. From the Bose.

2-For me the Bose offers enough to compensate for the loss of panning.

3-If you have programmed panning into your style/song be sure to use a “Y” connector.

Although the outputs of the keyboard state; Right and left; and the Left gives you Mono a combined left and right I would give the “Y” connector a try.

My personal opinion is that if you have a stereo set up and you stand 20 feet from the speakers or even 10m feet you will not hears a notable difference. There are many other areas where you can improve your sound; and the difference can be heard.

Only my opinion, John C.

#341341 - 03/03/12 02:18 PM Re: Question about panning [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bernie, Two things:

1-Is the Jam going to happen this year?
2-I’m glad you changed your Synthzone photo, this one is more like you.

John C.

PS, If you notice I am posting more than I usually do; Phyllis has a bone/muscle problem; the medical name is a long one and I do not have it down yet. She is taking Prednisone which in itself is a killer. We are home a lot so write. Its times like these that I must keep my faith.

Take my friend, John C.

#341343 - 03/03/12 02:40 PM Re: Question about panning [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi John

Sorry to hear Phyllis is having problems.

There is no Jam this year as far as Jim and I are conscerned. We could not get enough players to commit. Ron was a part of this process and was to notify everyone.

We will send feelers out again next year.

Bernie

#341346 - 03/03/12 04:10 PM Re: Question about panning [Re: Jean Olivia]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Ron did, Bernie. I got his email.

#341365 - 03/03/12 06:35 PM Re: Question about panning [Re: Jean Olivia]
Jean Olivia Offline

Thanks for your advice Bernie and Bruno. My listeners are mostly oldies and not over fussy, but I like to get the best sound I can. My two grandsons will be over from Scotland for Christmas and will be super critical, especially the one doing a Music Degree in London. I have not got a Tonematch and the only E.Q. I have available is in the keyboard, a KN6500. I have it set on the MAKEUP setting with the gain +2.0,-0.5,-1.5,0.0.- with the FC and Q as is. I work in small halls, like Senior Citz and Retirement centres. I have read a lot of advice on the Bose sites and they advise using a mono piano. Any thoughts on this? Cheers Jean Olivia.

#341376 - 03/04/12 02:13 AM Re: Question about panning [Re: Jean Olivia]
Bernie9 Offline

I think you are fine.
Wheras I understand your quest for the best sound possible, the respective manufacturers have already covered most of your conscerns except for, perhaps, changing reverb or eq if you drastically change your venue.

I would let your ears be the judge by walking around before a performance with a style playing, realizing that reverb will be soaked up when the audience is seated.

I use any of my KN pianos with the Compact without a problem. The mono issue with Bose started with Yamaha stereo pianos that, for some reason, do not sum to mono very well.

I would relax and enjoy your equipment, and not be too worried by these small issues that change very little. We are are own worst critic, and you can bet that your audience won't care a wit about them because they they won't know the difference.

Bernie

Edited by Bernie9 (03/04/12 02:15 AM)

#341414 - 03/05/12 04:42 AM Re: Question about panning [Re: Jean Olivia]
Jean Olivia Offline

Thanks for your ideas, Bernie. I always find it a great help to know what other members think. It is interesting about the pianos. I also have a PSRS900, and I will be listening carefully to the pianos in them. The best piano sound so far is from my Roland. I am not entirely happy yet. The Arranger backing from the KN sounds a little muddy through the Bose to me, but I will keep trying. You are right - I am super critical, but that is just me. Cheers. Jean.

Edited by Jean Olivia (03/05/12 04:43 AM)

#341420 - 03/05/12 07:29 AM Re: Question about panning [Re: Jean Olivia]
Bernie9 Offline

I am the same way about being self critical. Up to a point that is good.

I have the same experience with my KN7000 in that the style components don't seem to individually stand out, and are relatively muddy compared to my Audya and Korg. This may be a good topic for me, as I haven't done anything with my EQ.

I suspect it is the KB somehow, or rather, my not setting it up correctly.

Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online