SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#341239 - 03/01/12 05:19 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Hi Audrey,

Sometimes I tend to dramatize stuff that isn't as bad as I put on. It is true that the Korg system is incredibly complicated when compared to the Technics system, but I'm catching on to the Korg system OK. You are right, there are several good tutorials, some of which are free, at the Korg site. The PA800 tutorial, for example, was a great help to me early on, as were comments by Don Mason and Donny (DNJ).

Voicing on the PA3X is fantastic. Many functions of the Korg are actually better than my KN7000's but others are less functional than the Technics stuff. I miss having 24 registrations that I can select incrementally with a foot pedal as I progress through a song, like the KN7000 gives. And I'm still trying to settle in on specifically how I want to use the Songbook setups. There are only four STS (Single Tough Settings) selections available for a given song setup. They work almost exactly like Panel Memory buttons on the KN7000 (which gives 24 selections). The Korg Songbook is very similar to the Favorite Songs function of the KN7000, although they function in a different way.

Things are going well with both the MicroArranger and the PA3X.

#341242 - 03/01/12 06:07 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Audrey Turner]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Audrey wrote:
With the Yamaha Tyros 4 (despite all the hype, it isn't anywhere near as User Friendly as the KN keyboards) but to get back to the subject, I wonder whether you are aware that

Audrey a while back I said the same thing until I realized that I put in a good 19 years with Technics; It was not user friendly at the beginning. I now find Yamaha and Technics keyboards both friendly; I have been with Yamaha for five years. Soon the Korg OS will become friendly. Each learning curve has brought me more understanding abouy keyboards in general.

John C.

#341286 - 03/02/12 04:07 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: bruno123]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi John,

I've been with Yamaha about 2 years and still think the O.S. is outdated and somewhat complicated. I fail to understand why it is necessary to push so many buttons to setup and access registrations, styles etc. I find this very time consuming and often frustrating, particularly when using third party styles as despite being very careful to set and link them to the on-board styles, some still refuse to load properly and this can be very embarrassing when playing live.
So much so, I no longer take out my Tyros, but use my faithful KN7000 for which I have a huge variety of registrations and styles from various sources and which has never failed to load in all the years I've had it.

I understand your comment about the learning curve and the need to keep up with the times, but I also understand that the Yamaha O.S. has changed very little since the original Tyros keyboard, I think that in this day and age, it should be much simpler to use. After all, you've only to look at the TVs, Internet, mobile phones and digital gadgets in general, to realise just how far behind Yamaha are with their technology.

Last year, I went to the Keyboard Cavalcade Music event at Pakefield. It had been several years since I was last there and I could see and hear a change in almost every instrument that was played. In fact, I spent a lot of my time listening to and playing the Korg PA3X keyboard which I think has been very well designed and so has the Wersi Pegasus keyboard, both instruments are much easier to operate simply because it is mostly a case of what you see, is what you get. No messing about with separate buttons for songs, styles, registrations etc.

So! for me, my vote is still with the Technics KN7000 keyboard.

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (03/02/12 04:09 PM)

#341287 - 03/02/12 04:33 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Audrey Turner]

Audrey, you wrote: “I no longer take out my Tyros, but use my faithful KN7000 for which I have” Those words are so sweet and I do understand.

John C.

#341298 - 03/02/12 10:50 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]

Bob, When a style is selected the STS light is on which means that the 4 STS settings have been loaded. If it is not on you may find that you will have not loaded the 4 settings; the STS settings will not have changed. A blinking light is a different story.

Bob at 80 I find this fun. Its music and learning something new; according to my book that’s the best way to keep a mind healthy.; learning something new.

John C.

#341393 - 03/04/12 09:16 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Marty Dee Offline

Loc: The Villages, Fl
Hi Bob sounds like I have some work for me also. I have a PA3 waiting for me back in Dallas when I get back there in April from our current trip in Florida. I will be looking thru these forums to see what some have already discovered. Have you tried to move KN7000 rythmns to the PA3? I have a ton of rythmns set up for songs on my KN7000 and Im hoping I can somehow move those. Abeit I got the PA3 for a Piano (76 key) as Im attempting to learn Jazz Piano and not to replace my KN7000. I think I ll keep both boards. Sounds like we need a user group for the PA3 now.

#341394 - 03/04/12 10:48 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Marty, I'm keyboard poor . . . Got two KN7000's that I just can't let go, a Roland combo organ, and the Korg MicroArranger as well as the PA3X. Several other midi controllers, etc. You should definitely keep the KN7000. You will find yourself returning to it for enjoyment for quite a while. I have been over a month with the PA3X and am just now finding that I am beginning to enjoy what I am doing. Voicing and button layout is the best I've seen but the operating system is a nightmare! That's to be expected because just about everything is editable and the price for that is a complicated operating system.

Many of the Technics styles that have already been converted by other folks can be found on the net. Converting styles just isn't "my thing" so to answer your question, no I haven't converted any Technics styles.

#341397 - 03/04/12 12:00 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
....Voicing and button layout is the best I've seen but the operating system is a nightmare! That's to be expected because just about everything is editable and the price for that is a complicated operating system.

Hi.

A nightmare ...... well, that's almost the same as I said about Ketron when SD1 replaced the KN5k and the years as Technics user ended.
I think those of us who ever learned how easy and userfriendly it is to operate Technics OS has a drawback when we start explore new brands.
We probaby have to be "brainwashed" to empty our top floor, and start all over again.
Anyway, at the end I guess it's like everything else. If you ever mange to learn how it works (an if it works), it's easy! laugh

I have to admit I find myself reading and listening to more and more of the PA3X stuff. Sitting on the fence counting on the buttons and ready to jump........
But there's so many things to do during the spring and summer, so no jumping before Sept. / Oct.

Cheers
GJ

#341398 - 03/04/12 01:06 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Marty Dee]
Marty Dee Offline

Loc: The Villages, Fl
Thanks for the info i WILL INDEED KEEP MY kn7000. I still think the Kn7000 has been the best keyboard produced from quality sounds to ease of use. I will have 30 days to use the PA3 and still return it for a full credit so I ll be looking close how fast I can learn some of the ins and outs. As for what I really need is a simple piano and I can get a Yamaha Piano for under $500 so if I forsee alot of work on the PA3 I will definately return it. Albeit a replacement for the KN7000 would be a comfort due to the fact that if anything ever goes haywire with the KN7000 a replacement would be comforting.

#341402 - 03/04/12 04:32 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Marty, don't give up on the PA3X after only 30 days. Or, if you feel you have to make a go or no go decision in 30 days, be sure to work hard in that time frame. It is a great keyboard in so many ways. It just takes a while to do as Gunnar said in "emptying the upper floor" . . . I am finding other acceptable ways to do things that at first I thought I couldn't do with the PA3X. Rikki sent me some styles that solve the problem that Intro and Ending 1 cause with the ensemble function. So that problem will go away with editing that I will be doing later.

I am also impressed with the PA3X score display system. That will be an area that I will want to spend a lot of time learning later.

How are the fingers doing now with the guitar, Gunnar? Your tenacity should soon put you on a par with the best guitar players. Have you done any style conversion of Technics to Korg that might help Marty?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online