SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#340687 - 02/23/12 07:24 PM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: dralion]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico

Just to make clear something, Yes, styles are "BITS" of midi files, that may make you sound great IF playing in REAL time, depending on the sophistication of the arrangement, chops of the player, not just playing the proper chord progression, but also making the necessary variation, fill, break, etc changes...all this ON TIME. keys

ALL this things HAVE to be accomplished BY the musician. piano

Playing along with the "non" style/ Regular-normal Midi file(is also considered Real Time), will have the chord progression, and changes embedded without the intervention of the player.
SO, it does not require skill other than play ONLY the melody right. violin

#340688 - 02/23/12 07:29 PM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: Ketron User]
jpapas Offline

Loc: Somewhere in CA
Originally Posted By: Ketron User
A little child can play this with midifiles !
Shame for this musician and a disgrace for all the real musicians out there !!!

Midifile used is Tico-Tico version from Klaus Wunderlich, witch i also have in my collection somewhere, but i don't need it to play Tico-Tico..., in fact, i don't ever use midi's, i am still a real musician..., on a real Wersi-Organ ! Every one want to play this cheap Yamaha's, but with the sounds from Wersi ???
One advice : Buy yourself a real Wersi !

Carlo.

Funny but over at KSS and other fora they wouldn't consider you a real musician just for the fact that you use an arranger.

#340690 - 02/23/12 07:59 PM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: mdorantes]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
No Professional player that plays over/with SMF's will ever "just play a melody line"...The melody is usually "sung"...The proper way to use SMF's is to remove the parts you want to play "live" ..they could be a counter line, embellished chords, brass parts, organ parts ..or riffs..even bass lines...

It takes more talent to play with Smf's than chording a left hand and a simple melody on the right hand...I can see most folks do not have a clue to playing professionally with sequences...

As for "Pros" that play arranger keyboard...we apparently are the smart ones...Maybe "purist" should learn the benefits of arranger keyboards....they are not only for "auto play"...They are designed for fast set ups and will accept great players abilities..as any workstation available...

#340697 - 02/23/12 10:18 PM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: jpapas]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: jpapas
Originally Posted By: Ketron User
A little child can play this with midifiles !
Shame for this musician and a disgrace for all the real musicians out there !!!

Midifile used is Tico-Tico version from Klaus Wunderlich, witch i also have in my collection somewhere, but i don't need it to play Tico-Tico..., in fact, i don't ever use midi's, i am still a real musician..., on a real Wersi-Organ ! Every one want to play this cheap Yamaha's, but with the sounds from Wersi ???
One advice : Buy yourself a real Wersi !

Carlo.

Funny but over at KSS and other fora they wouldn't consider you a real musician just for the fact that you use an arranger.

Ketron User,

Do you feel like turning all your arranger features off and go back to basics, see how you sound, what would that look like a Hammond B3, nice one Carlo I was going to say just that, you can take the rap for it now, still you are right, lots of things to help you on an arranger, look how far the Tyros has come over the years that make it so easy to play, professionals and amateurs.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#340722 - 02/24/12 07:54 AM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks for the videos Scott. Playing along with SMF or styles, both have their challenges, but I do know, I was entertained by Rico's 'Tico Tico' and his performances. I hope he decides to join SZ.

BTW, Does it take more talent to play a non arranger keyboard if you have a live 5 piece band backing? My opinion, it takes as much, or even more effort to play as a OMB using an arranger with either styles or SMF as the band.

So for me, either playing a keyboard with a 5 piece band, or playing an arranger with styles, or playing an arranger along with SMF's, or playing solo on a piano or organ are all good.

Lately. I just sit back and enjoy them all.

After all "It is what it is"

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#340723 - 02/24/12 08:05 AM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Lets not forget the TALENT it takes to create a SMF file also..

#340727 - 02/24/12 09:18 AM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi all,
What's wrong with some of you guys? confused1
I'm finding it interesting that posting Rico's videos has only turned this into a debate over auto accompainemt vs midi backing track performance,
and that hardly anyone bothered to appreciate, or even acknowledge the technical artistry and musician showmanship of Rico's live keyboard playing.
I admire his polished 2 kb playing technique & precise timing, as well as the musical expression (emotion) that he exudes in his playing.

Rico's playing style is really no different than a traditional keyboard player might use when playing tradition keyboard with a live top orchestra backing him,
or as dralion put it: "A performer/singer's backing band is a human midi file". smile

Whether you choose to use backing tracks or play with styles
remains a personal chose, each with it's unique set of benefits, challenges and limitations,
all of which have already been discussed and debated here.

IMHO, mastering both auto accomp 'arranger style' playing, 'playing along with high quality backing tracks',
as well as being able to play our arranger keyboard as a 'traditioanl solo piano' can only then make us a more complete arranger keyboard musician. rocker

I don't give a rat's ass what method someone uses to play their keyboard, as it's the (honest) content & character (musical expression) of the music,
not the method used to achieve it that impresses me, and
I for one am very impressed with Rico's musicianship and think he deserves appreciation and respect for it. clap

Rico has informed me that he has joined Synthzone and is simply awaiting email address confirmation from Nigel.

Rico, welcome to you Synthzone buddy. I'm really looking forward to your participation.

Scott smile

#340735 - 02/24/12 10:04 AM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: Scottyee]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
well said, Scott ...

#340740 - 02/24/12 10:52 AM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Scott,

" You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink ".

I think Larry Hawks tells it all, as Larry always does, the guys is very good, I will drink the water with you, if others can't see or don't want to say he's good, just move on.

If he is now a SZ member, I think we had all better look out for better things to come, maybe this is what SZ really needs new good young blood, there's certainly not a lot of it around.

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#340754 - 02/24/12 01:39 PM Re: Tico Tico by Rico Rico on his Tyros 4 & G70 [Re: Scottyee]
dralion Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Hi all,
IMHO, mastering both auto accomp 'arranger style' playing, 'playing along with high quality backing tracks',
as well as being able to play our arranger keyboard as a 'traditioanl solo piano' can only then make us a more complete arranger keyboard musician. rocker
Scott smile

Very well put, Scott. I couldn't have said it better myself!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online