SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#340422 - 02/21/12 12:02 AM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: 124]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: 124
99% of our gigs are senior centres, assisted living, etc. and we're out there with a Korg Pa1XPro doing the honours. Exceptions to every rule, I suppose. It does speak to the versatility of TOTL boards, though.

So true. I too am now utilizing my little Korg microARRANGER for 1 hour nursing home and assisted living jobs
which benefit from quick grab and go transport and setup. smile

Originally Posted By: 124

The two tracks done on my old i30 that I posted recently, Mustang Sally and Jambalaya, are regulars in our setlists.

124, nice renitions by you. cool
Yep, Both are great tunes for all ages, including seniors.
I perform these as well. - Scott

#340425 - 02/21/12 03:37 AM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Man, I am so glad my GAS* (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) attacks are mostly behind me.

Perhaps it has something to do with getting older (one of the few advantages), but more significantly, it was being able to buy an arranger keyboard that satisfies all my needs.

Don't get me wrong...getting new gear is very exciting (I love it too) but I also like the feeling I get when I think things all the way though, and avoid getting something I don't really need.

One of the worst consequences of GAS (besides the money unnecessarily spent), is that we lose out on becoming proficient with the instruments we already have, and become masters of none of them.

Ian

* This explains GAS to those not familiar with the term.

http://dictionary.sensagent.com/gear+acquisition+syndrome/en-en/

#340427 - 02/21/12 04:46 AM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Nice review Steve....almost makes me want to go out and try the Pa3x to see how different it is from the Pa2x I owned. I don't really see myself replacing my T4 anytime soon.

Besides, I've started to upgrade my photography gear after all these many years of inferior equipment and; whoa, that has gotten to be very expensive. Thank goodness my music money can fund all my hobbies. Otherwise the little woman at home would kick me out on my arse.

Too bad your not down here in Tampa, Steve. We could of gone and jammed out on the Pa3x together. I guess I have to wait for Gary to finally cruise on down here with his Kickapoo joy juice to get some SZ company.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#340428 - 02/21/12 04:46 AM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny thanks, I did sleep well last night but gotta say Pa3x was on my mind as I fell asleep reading the owners manual. crazy

TonyMads keep doing yourself that favor, don’t look at new boards cool

DonM, You hit the nail on the head. woot

Scott, that’s what happens when you’re in a fog you forget to mention important facts. bounce

Tony Hughes, I probably missed your comments about seeing the board. I hadn’t been spending too much time reading SZ posts in the last few months, but somehow the positive reviews on the Korg mini recent YouTube videos of the Pa3x and got my attention. Yes, when you hear what Telmo produces and the personal satisfaction I get playing the T4/Yamaha my preferred choice. Do I really need the Korg ? NO I don’t. You can only play one at a time. Some years back I use to take an 88 key Casio PX410 connected to the PSR 3000, that lasted about a month or less, so there’s no way I’d take 2 arrangers to a gig. As long as I let Doris retire in September of this year I can have anything I want. I just sold off some other equipment that I no longer used, Craigslist comes in real handy for that. I prefer it, it’s face to face meeting in a public place, terms of sale is cash only.

Ian,

I’m a lot calmer than I use to be with Gear Acquisition Syndrome, 2 years ago I would have not thought twice and the Korg would be sitting in my home headphone

#340431 - 02/21/12 05:08 AM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Al you must have been writing your post as I was mine. Maybe you shouldn't demo the Pa3x! Caution you may want one if you demo it.
Hopefully you'll still be in Tampa when we make our move at some point, that' still on hold.

Can't believe you started upgrading photo equipment too. About a year ago I got bit by this photography bug myself. I got a mid-range Canon DSLR, I don't dare start buying extra lenses. I thought arrangers could be pricey, but $2000 for an L series zoom lens? Not going to happen.

#340439 - 02/21/12 09:30 AM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Stephenm- thanks for your report. You say that you like the Yamaha Tyros 4 voices better than the Korg. What, if anything, did you prefere about the Korg over your Yamaha?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#340444 - 02/21/12 10:32 AM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Montunman:

What I liked/preferred about the Korg

1. Better sounding styles than in the past. Not sure what the engineers did but the styles sound better than they did on the Pa2x. It's one of those things that unless you hear it hands on, it can't be written about.
2. Dedicated buttons for voice and styles versus the old way of one button being shared by two sets of voices or styles. Yamaha has done it this way for years
3. You can hear more subtle nuances of the pads, they just sound better.
4. Great placement of the scroll wheel in relation to the +/- values
5. Although I never did get to try the built in TC Helicon I'm sure it's all it's promoted be but having the rotary knobs and switches to adjust vocal harmony give gots of control at your finger tips. All mounted on the right side for ease of reach.

And with that I'll leave it alone, I'm selling myself on buying one and that was NOT the intention computer

Take a look thru these photos
Korg Pa3x and Pa2x Assorted Photos From Google Images

Old Stuff From Korg that I always liked from owning the former Pa2x/Pa800
1. touch screen
2. Songbook ( although the improved MFD on Yamaha in use with regitrations don't make Songbook quite as big an enhancement as it was to me. It would sure be great though if Yamaha implemented a Songbook feature
3.The dedicated slider to adjust balance between voices and style background.

6.Oh I was forgetting 4 fill-ins and a much better transition between them than was implemented on the old PA series.
7.In general better placement of buttons.

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/21/12 10:52 AM)

#340464 - 02/21/12 01:29 PM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Stephen,
maybe back to the Korgie fold?
It's a great keyboard. The 4 fills are really great compared to the 2 on my PA800. Definately smoother.
There are a number of new styles. Some actually have a similar or same name as on the old PA800, but the style is actually different.

I started doing a comparison & saving the missing PA800 styles, so I could use them on the PA3X.
Definately quite a few new ones on the PA3X.

An A/B comparison thru the same amplification system, the PA3X styles sound better balanced somehow, than the pa800.

Anyway, be interesting to see how you go.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#340469 - 02/21/12 04:32 PM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: rikkisbears]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Stephen,
maybe back to the Korgie fold?
It's a great keyboard. The 4 fills are really great compared to the 2 on my PA800. Definately smoother.
There are a number of new styles. Some actually have a similar or same name as on the old PA800, but the style is actually different.

I started doing a comparison & saving the missing PA800 styles, so I could use them on the PA3X.
Definately quite a few new ones on the PA3X.

An A/B comparison thru the same amplification system, the PA3X styles sound better balanced somehow, than the pa800.

Anyway, be interesting to see how you go.

Rikki,

Glad to hear your comments, smile I was hoping you would chime in since I know you have a lot of Korg experience behind you.

#340472 - 02/21/12 06:53 PM Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks [Re: Stephenm52]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Stephenm,

I felt your excitement while reading your post. Dollars are important and having to redue your performance is a bit of work but the excitement; which we hate to admit to, outweighs most of it. And no, age does not slow the desire to own another new keyboard. It is like a Xmas thing smiles and all.

I like Korg; follow your heart and you won’t look back.
When you make the move and become comfortable with the keyboard I would love to hear some of your music.

John C.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online