Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks

Posted by: Stephenm52

Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 01:33 PM

Disclaimer:
Just my own opinion below. grin

A few years ago I use to take regular trips to visit with Frank at Audioworks. Life got busy both at home and on the day job. It's been 18 months or more since my last visit.

Been wanting to demo the Pa3x. This morning on a whim I decided to hop in the car and drive the 100 miles to see Frankieve. Headed out with both my iPhone camera and a Canon point and shoot camera with HD video. Figured I could take some stills and video. I did not!! Got too caught up in the demo.

First Frank is in new quarters since my last trip, he's got a nice new showroom that the old store didn't have.

I walked in thinking well I'll demo the board for an hour or so and be on my way back home . Before I left my wife said "I wish these manufacturers would stop making new arragners. I said, "Worry 'bout nothin my dear, I just have to demo this to see how it sounds".

And demo it I did after Frank gave me a rundown of the new features.

First this board has got to be the best looking arranger on the market today. (Don Mason and Uncle Dave may think so too. ) At first look it's construction like the Pa2xPro screams pro board all the way. The 76 key model was on display and it's compact footprint almost gave the appearance of a 61 key arranger. It's just a little larger from left to right than the Tyros4 that was stacked on top. Great form factor and real quality construction. I love my Tyros4 but I have to say the T4 looked like a toy by comparison. ( even though the sounds of the T4 tell a different story)

I liked what I heard Frank play when he gave a 5 minute or so quick tour of the board thru the attached optional speaker system, it sounded damn good. After his demo he said make yourself at home and play. WOW, this board blew me away. I never expected to demo and think to myself I WANT ONE!! LOL I spent the next 2 hours playing thru a set of Bose headphones. I had a Pa2xPro some time ago, but the quality of the new board is a quantum leap ahead of the old Pax2. Not sure what the folks at Korg did to the guts of the board but it's got a great sound.

The only way that this boards get the justice it needs is to see and play it live. end of story.

What I liked about the Korg PA3x, easy to navigate, took me all of 5 minutes to settle back right in with the touch screen. Improved and much smoother transitions between fills. The list goes on and on. Seems as though more and better DNC sounds than the old Korg Pa2x/800. Still they do fall short of the SA2 sounds on T4.

It's over 4 hours ago I played it, I'm back home and shaking my head in disbelif about the quality of what I heard. Ask Scott Yee about my impression. I told Scott when I finally made the trip to Frank's he'd be the first SZ member I'd call to tell him what I thought. This board is very impressive you tube videos, demos from the Korg site do not give justice this monster deserves.

At the end of 2 hours Frank suggested I A/B the T4 and Pa3x. After doing the A/B I developed a real problem, I'd have to own both boards because they are that good in their own right I couldn't part with the T4 but can I live without Pa3x? Sure I can, do I want to? That remains to be seen.............
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 01:43 PM

Great review Steven...once it settles in, & its all you think about, & can't sleep at night... and you make your second trip to Franks bring your T4.....I think you'll return home next time with just a PA3x 76... cool2 just sayin' rotfl
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 02:11 PM

Nice little road trip, there Steve ...
I guess it's good that I don't spend much time looking at new boards ... crazy ...
I'm sure Deb won't mind another kb in the house ... smile
Posted by: DonM

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 02:16 PM

I TOLD you you would like it.
DonM
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 02:17 PM

A very informative review, Steve, and very similar to one that a friend of mine sent me on Saturday.

He is also a Tyros user (a T3), and he was also very impressed with the Korg's layout and build quality, as well as the great sounds and styles.

Like you, he wishes he had an instrument combining the best qualities of his Tyros and the PA3X.

It is nice to see the PA3X get the attention it deserves, particularly after such a poor launch, and equally dismal initial demos.

Competition between manufacturers, especially at the top of the range instruments, is tough on the companies, but marvelous for us players...also, hard on the wallet in some cases. wink

Thanks for sharing your unbiased views.

Ian
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 08:40 PM

Hi Steve,

It was a nice surprise to receive your telephone call today esp because I remember you mentioning last week you still weren't sure if you could make that 100 mile trip to Frank's place by this weekend or not. Great review and consistant with what you told me candidly on the telephone today.
I immediately sensed your excitement and enthusiasm over having just played the Pa3X.

One thing that Steve mentioned to me on the phone, but got overlooked mentioning by him in this review is the fact that the length of the 76 note version of the Pa3X is a barely noticable tiny bit longer than the length of the 61 note Tyros 4, and only 6-8 lbs heavier than the Tyros 4, which will give many potential Pa3x buyers a good reason to buy the 76 (vs 61) note model without having to sacrifice much weight gain or size.

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

At the end of 2 hours Frank suggested I A/B the T4 and Pa3x. After doing the A/B I developed a real problem, I'd have to own both boards because they are that good in their own right I couldn't part with the T4 but can I live without Pa3x? Sure I can, do I want to? That remains to be seen.............

As a Yam. Tyros 4 owner and now a Korg microARRANGER owner too, I can easily appreciate the benefit of owning both brands. They both satisfy uniquely different desires. My personal feeling is that the Yamaha Tyros 4 leads far and away with its SA instrument voices and delivering a beautiful studio polished sound. On the other hand, Korg wins for live performance when you want to sound like a live combo, with a more impressively live rhythm section presence. Though both keyboards will certainly fullfill both tasks, imho the difficult choice between a Tyros 4 or PA3X comes down to whether you plan to utilize your arranger more for live gigging or studio production work. Another consideration is the repertoire and type of gigs you do. To cover the type of background music and traditional genres appealing to more mature audiences, the more Studio produced sound may be preferred, and for a more contemporary punchier sound, yet covering older trad genres nicely as well, the Pa3X is perhaps the better choice. That said, though I remain very happy and content with my current Yam Tyros 4 and Korg microARRANGER setup, I am seriously comdering adding a Pa3X later in the year. Would I then sell the Tyros 4? I seriously doubt that I would want to do that. shocked

Scott smile
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 10:05 PM

Disclaimer:

First this board has got to be the best looking arranger on the market today.

Stephen,

I have said this all alone,you need to go and see, touch, feel, its an engineering job that blows all other AKB away, makes the Audya look like something out of a scrapyard, a lot of thought has gone into it, but like you say the old T4 will take some beating for overall star quality and content, you will end up with both I have no double, I know DonM says he still loves the Audya, but not enough to get rid of the Pa3x. Overall the Audya is just not worth all the fuss and the extra money, weight and that nagging feeling in the back of your head that the engine won't fire when you hit the starter, if something goes wrong with it which trash can does it go in etc etc. I still keep going to look at the KRONOS but as Al says you need a life time to get around it, when you hear what Telmo gets out of the T4 makes you think do you need and extra KB, perhaps a Pa3x double stacked with the T4 will do, the Pa3x has some nice synth sounds, its not if stephen its when, I think the Korg range are way ahead of the game.

Regards

Tony

BTW did you Doris say you could have a Pa3x and still keep the T4, Jasper do a nice double or even treble stand, how high are the ceilings in your house?.. rotf2

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Hi Steve,

It was a nice surprise to receive your telephone call today esp because I remember you mentioning last week you still weren't sure if you could make that 100 mile trip to Frank's place by this weekend or not. Great review and consistant with what you told me candidly on the telephone today.
I immediately sensed your excitement and enthusiasm over having just played the Pa3X.

One thing that Steve mentioned to me on the phone, but got overlooked mentioning by him in this review is the fact that the length of the 76 note version of the Pa3X is a barely noticeable tiny bit longer than the length of the 61 note Tyros 4, and only 6-8 lbs heavier than the Tyros 4, which will give many potential Pa3x buyers a good reason to buy the 76 (vs 61) note model without having to sacrifice much weight gain or size.

As a Yam. Tyros 4 owner and now a Korg microARRANGER owner too, I can easily appreciate the benefit of owning both brands. They both satisfy uniquely different desires. My personal feeling is that the Yamaha Tyros 4 leads far and away with its SA instrument voices and delivering a beautiful studio polished sound. On the other hand, Korg wins for live performance when you want to sound like a live combo, with a more impressively live rhythm section presence. Though both keyboards will certainly fullfill both tasks, imho the difficult choice between a Tyros 4 or PA3X comes down to whether you plan to utilize your arranger more for live gigging or studio production work. Another consideration is the repertoire and type of gigs you do. To cover the type of background music and traditional genres appealing to more mature audiences, the more Studio produced sound may be preferred, and for a more contemporary punchier sound, yet covering older trad genres nicely as well, the Pa3X is perhaps the better choice. That said, though I remain very happy and content with my current Yam Tyros 4 and Korg microARRANGER setup, I am seriously comdering adding a Pa3X later in the year. Would I then sell the Tyros 4? I seriously doubt that I would want to do that. shocked

Scott smile

You see even Scott is thinking of a double stack Pa3x + T4 Mans stuff for Men, Scott did you keep the box for the KMA, I'll give you the link to ebay, I know its a lot of money, but if you got the Pa3x and kept the T4 you would not want anything else, I think you would always turn them both on when your playing, I rarely turn the Audya on these days, still not sold it, I need to find a fool and his money that I can easily separated. heeeee dance2
Posted by: 124

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
. . . Though both keyboards will certainly fullfill both tasks, imho the difficult choice between a Tyros 4 or PA3X comes down to whether you plan to utilize your arranger more for live gigging or studio production work. Another consideration is the repertoire and type of gigs you do. To cover the type of background music and traditional genres appealing to more mature audiences, the more Studio produced sound may be preferred, and for a more contemporary punchier sound, yet covering older trad genres nicely as well, the Pa3X is perhaps the better choice. Scott smile

Hi Scott,

I guess the conventional thinking does indeed go that way with regard to which keyboard would be more suited to which gigs or audience age groups, yet 99% of our gigs are senior centres, assisted living, etc. and we're out there with a Korg Pa1XPro doing the honours. Exceptions to every rule, I suppose. It does speak to the versatility of TOTL boards, though.

The two tracks done on my old i30 that I posted recently, Mustang Sally and Jambalaya, are regulars in our setlists.

Best regards,

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/20/12 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
You see even Scott is thinking of a double stack Pa3x + T4 Mans stuff for Men, Scott did you keep the box for the KMA, I'll give you the link to ebay, I know its a lot of money, but if you got the Pa3x and kept the T4 you would not want anything else, I think you would always turn them both on when your playing, I rarely turn the Audya on these days, still not sold it, I need to find a fool and his money that I can easily separated. heeeee dance2

Hi Tony,
To be honest, I have no interest in taking out a double/ multi stacked Keyboard setup. In general, I prefer to play my keyboard(s) on their own separately.

At this point I have no interest in selling either the KMA or T4 as I call on each alone seperately for different playing venues and situations. If and when I ever purchase a Pa3X, I doubt I'd sell the KMA because it satisfies the ultra portability niche I've quickly grown to appreciate for quick grab and go situations. Having all 3 keyboards to select from would be preferable, but if I had to give up "one" of the three, it might more likely be the Tyros 4, though I'd hope not be put into that kind of a sell off position. Interestingly enough, I think I already got the ideal keyboard setup to meet my personal needs and without having to break the bank either (at least on the economical microArranger end of it). - Scott smile

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 124
99% of our gigs are senior centres, assisted living, etc. and we're out there with a Korg Pa1XPro doing the honours. Exceptions to every rule, I suppose. It does speak to the versatility of TOTL boards, though.

So true. I too am now utilizing my little Korg microARRANGER for 1 hour nursing home and assisted living jobs
which benefit from quick grab and go transport and setup. smile

Originally Posted By: 124

The two tracks done on my old i30 that I posted recently, Mustang Sally and Jambalaya, are regulars in our setlists.

124, nice renitions by you. cool
Yep, Both are great tunes for all ages, including seniors.
I perform these as well. - Scott
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 03:37 AM

Man, I am so glad my GAS* (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) attacks are mostly behind me.

Perhaps it has something to do with getting older (one of the few advantages), but more significantly, it was being able to buy an arranger keyboard that satisfies all my needs.

Don't get me wrong...getting new gear is very exciting (I love it too) but I also like the feeling I get when I think things all the way though, and avoid getting something I don't really need.

One of the worst consequences of GAS (besides the money unnecessarily spent), is that we lose out on becoming proficient with the instruments we already have, and become masters of none of them.

Ian

* This explains GAS to those not familiar with the term.

http://dictionary.sensagent.com/gear+acquisition+syndrome/en-en/
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 04:46 AM

Nice review Steve....almost makes me want to go out and try the Pa3x to see how different it is from the Pa2x I owned. I don't really see myself replacing my T4 anytime soon.

Besides, I've started to upgrade my photography gear after all these many years of inferior equipment and; whoa, that has gotten to be very expensive. Thank goodness my music money can fund all my hobbies. Otherwise the little woman at home would kick me out on my arse.

Too bad your not down here in Tampa, Steve. We could of gone and jammed out on the Pa3x together. I guess I have to wait for Gary to finally cruise on down here with his Kickapoo joy juice to get some SZ company.

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 04:46 AM

Donny thanks, I did sleep well last night but gotta say Pa3x was on my mind as I fell asleep reading the owners manual. crazy

TonyMads keep doing yourself that favor, don’t look at new boards cool

DonM, You hit the nail on the head. woot

Scott, that’s what happens when you’re in a fog you forget to mention important facts. bounce

Tony Hughes, I probably missed your comments about seeing the board. I hadn’t been spending too much time reading SZ posts in the last few months, but somehow the positive reviews on the Korg mini recent YouTube videos of the Pa3x and got my attention. Yes, when you hear what Telmo produces and the personal satisfaction I get playing the T4/Yamaha my preferred choice. Do I really need the Korg ? NO I don’t. You can only play one at a time. Some years back I use to take an 88 key Casio PX410 connected to the PSR 3000, that lasted about a month or less, so there’s no way I’d take 2 arrangers to a gig. As long as I let Doris retire in September of this year I can have anything I want. I just sold off some other equipment that I no longer used, Craigslist comes in real handy for that. I prefer it, it’s face to face meeting in a public place, terms of sale is cash only.

Ian,

I’m a lot calmer than I use to be with Gear Acquisition Syndrome, 2 years ago I would have not thought twice and the Korg would be sitting in my home headphone

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 05:08 AM

Al you must have been writing your post as I was mine. Maybe you shouldn't demo the Pa3x! Caution you may want one if you demo it.
Hopefully you'll still be in Tampa when we make our move at some point, that' still on hold.

Can't believe you started upgrading photo equipment too. About a year ago I got bit by this photography bug myself. I got a mid-range Canon DSLR, I don't dare start buying extra lenses. I thought arrangers could be pricey, but $2000 for an L series zoom lens? Not going to happen.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 09:30 AM

Hi Stephenm- thanks for your report. You say that you like the Yamaha Tyros 4 voices better than the Korg. What, if anything, did you prefere about the Korg over your Yamaha?

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 10:32 AM

Montunman:

What I liked/preferred about the Korg

1. Better sounding styles than in the past. Not sure what the engineers did but the styles sound better than they did on the Pa2x. It's one of those things that unless you hear it hands on, it can't be written about.
2. Dedicated buttons for voice and styles versus the old way of one button being shared by two sets of voices or styles. Yamaha has done it this way for years
3. You can hear more subtle nuances of the pads, they just sound better.
4. Great placement of the scroll wheel in relation to the +/- values
5. Although I never did get to try the built in TC Helicon I'm sure it's all it's promoted be but having the rotary knobs and switches to adjust vocal harmony give gots of control at your finger tips. All mounted on the right side for ease of reach.

And with that I'll leave it alone, I'm selling myself on buying one and that was NOT the intention computer

Take a look thru these photos
Korg Pa3x and Pa2x Assorted Photos From Google Images

Old Stuff From Korg that I always liked from owning the former Pa2x/Pa800
1. touch screen
2. Songbook ( although the improved MFD on Yamaha in use with regitrations don't make Songbook quite as big an enhancement as it was to me. It would sure be great though if Yamaha implemented a Songbook feature
3.The dedicated slider to adjust balance between voices and style background.

6.Oh I was forgetting 4 fill-ins and a much better transition between them than was implemented on the old PA series.
7.In general better placement of buttons.

Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 01:29 PM

Hi Stephen,
maybe back to the Korgie fold?
It's a great keyboard. The 4 fills are really great compared to the 2 on my PA800. Definately smoother.
There are a number of new styles. Some actually have a similar or same name as on the old PA800, but the style is actually different.

I started doing a comparison & saving the missing PA800 styles, so I could use them on the PA3X.
Definately quite a few new ones on the PA3X.

An A/B comparison thru the same amplification system, the PA3X styles sound better balanced somehow, than the pa800.

Anyway, be interesting to see how you go.

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Stephen,
maybe back to the Korgie fold?
It's a great keyboard. The 4 fills are really great compared to the 2 on my PA800. Definately smoother.
There are a number of new styles. Some actually have a similar or same name as on the old PA800, but the style is actually different.

I started doing a comparison & saving the missing PA800 styles, so I could use them on the PA3X.
Definately quite a few new ones on the PA3X.

An A/B comparison thru the same amplification system, the PA3X styles sound better balanced somehow, than the pa800.

Anyway, be interesting to see how you go.

Rikki,

Glad to hear your comments, smile I was hoping you would chime in since I know you have a lot of Korg experience behind you.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 06:53 PM

Stephenm,

I felt your excitement while reading your post. Dollars are important and having to redue your performance is a bit of work but the excitement; which we hate to admit to, outweighs most of it. And no, age does not slow the desire to own another new keyboard. It is like a Xmas thing smiles and all.

I like Korg; follow your heart and you won’t look back.
When you make the move and become comfortable with the keyboard I would love to hear some of your music.

John C.

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/21/12 08:20 PM

Hi Stephen,
Korg actually did a survey of what customers wanted over on the Korg forums, 2 to 3 years ago.

Strangely enough, I ended up with my very short wish list.
A fill system similar to Yamaha ie 4 fills which could be set to automatic, with the option of 4 dedicated fill buttons if I wanted to to trigger my own fills.

The other was a bit more obscure, sets of XG mapped drum kits, to suit psr drum mapping . Got that too. That really made manually converting some of my psr styles across to my PA3x , so much easier.

Actually if you agree that the PA3x styles appear to sound better than the PA800 styles, may also have a bit to do with their new Guitar Mode 2 style record function.
They've greatly improved it with the option of having midi notes as well as guitar mode notes on the same track.
Used to be a case of, if a style part ie accomp 5 was set as a guitar mode track, only guitar mode notes could be used thruought the style on accomp 5. Now that one can have a mix of guitar mode & midi notes on the track, maybe it just sounds a bit more realistic ? I don't know, but for an amatuer like me, it makes recording a guitar style track so much easier..

The overall layout is so much better. Not having to go thru 2 or 3 button pushes to get to the correct style bank. Was a tad messy.

Anyway, good luck with deciding what to do.

I had a quick look at a T4 before I bought the PA3X.
As much as I luv the Yammie styles, I'd miss the style creation & editing functions on korg.

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/22/12 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Stephenm,

Dollars are important and having to redue your performance is a bit of work but the excitement; which we hate to admit to, outweighs most of it. And no, age does not slow the desire to own another new keyboard. It is like a Xmas thing smiles and all.

I like Korg; follow your heart and you won’t look back.
When you make the move and become comfortable with the keyboard I would love to hear some of your music.

John C.

John good thoughts, you've hit the nail on the head. If I do make the move I will send some tunes your way.

Rikki,

I knew you were the Korg expert in the house and you really show that you are. Thanks for your input.
Posted by: cassp

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/23/12 12:30 PM

Stephen, I remember our talks about the G70 and the Yammy 3000 of a few years back. You have certainly continued to progress up the ladder here. You have even piqued MY interest. Once I bought the Micro and loved the sounds, I started thinking PA800; Donny got me thinking PA500, but now you have me thinking PA3x. This has been a very interesting thread to read.

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/23/12 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: cassp
Stephen, I remember our talks about the G70 and the Yammy 3000 of a few years back. You have certainly continued to progress up the ladder here. You have even piqued MY interest. Once I bought the Micro and loved the sounds, I started thinking PA800; Donny got me thinking PA500, but now you have me thinking PA3x. This has been a very interesting thread to read.

Cass, buddy nice to hear from you. Yea we did hash around the G70 and the 3000 a few years back. Both great keyboards in their own right!! Use caution if you play the Pa3x, you just may order one!
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/26/12 09:25 PM

Stephen,

I want to thank you for posting this thread. I had been dragging my heels for months now regarding checking out the PA3xPRO at my dealer. Your post, and your excitement over the keyboard, prompted me to finally go and audition it.

You weren't kidding...that's some arranger. They've come a long way since I bought my last one. I spent 3 hours on it and found it surprisingly easy to navigate.

I got another few surprises. Playing this thing taps into your "creative juices" and brings out some skills I didn't even know I had. It brings out the best in you, 'cause suddenly you can play exactly what you hear in your head.....breaks....fills.......variations. I've been focusing on acoustic piano these last few years and didn't realize how limited you are with it until you play an advanced arranger like this one.

I seriously think now I'm going to buy one, spend some dedicated time on learning all the nuances of the unit, and then contact Korg to inquire about "demonstrating" this amazing keyboard.

Mark

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/27/12 04:05 AM

Mark,

That's some testimonial to the Pa3x. Good luck!
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 02/27/12 04:13 AM

Mark wrote:
I got another few surprises. Playing this thing taps into your "creative juices" and brings out some skills I didn't even know I had. It brings out the best in you, 'cause suddenly you can play exactly what you hear in your head.....breaks....fills.......variations. I've been focusing on acoustic piano these last few years and didn't realize how limited you are with it until you play an advanced arranger like this one.

Mark, I must agree 100% the Korg keyboard is bringing out more of me: and that’s a nice feeling after playing for so many years.
John C.

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 03/04/12 11:04 PM

Hi Stephen,
ok, you let the cat out of the bag, in another post
& rather than hijacking it any further.

How's the PA3X going?

Congratulations by the way, you've got one great setup going with T4 & PA3x

Careful Deane,
you may end up catching the "I wanna PA3X", bug. It's spreading. haahaa

Originally Posted By: DonM

Come on over Deane. I would welcome your opinion on the sound.
DonM

Deane, careful is RIGHT!!

I went to demo one at Frankieve's store. This week I purchased one and have been playing it for the last 3 days! It's a much improved machine over the Pa2x JMO. I didn't have enough time to tweak it for this afternoon's gig so my other favorite the T4 comes with me.

Looks sweet sitting atop the Tyros4 too cool

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 03/05/12 04:11 AM

Hi Stephen,
ok, you let the cat out of the bag, in another post
& rather than hijacking it any further.

How's the PA3X going?

Congratulations by the way, you've got one great setup going with T4 & PA3x

Careful Deane,
you may end up catching the "I wanna PA3X", bug. It's spreading. haahaa

Originally Posted By: DonM

Come on over Deane. I would welcome your opinion on the sound.
DonM

Deane, careful is RIGHT!!

I went to demo one at Frankieve's store. This week I purchased one and have been playing it for the last 3 days! It's a much improved machine over the Pa2x JMO. I didn't have enough time to tweak it for this afternoon's gig so my other favorite the T4 comes with me.

Looks sweet sitting atop the Tyros4 too cool

Rikki, The first couple of hours with it I started questioning my choice. Maybe it had to do with the day before we had a major e-mail server meltdown at the firm I work for and we worked 16 hours thru mid-night the day before to get things back running. That was the night before I took delivery.

My impressions changed in a hurry after a few more hours with it and I'm very happy with the Pa3x, more will follow after I've had it a couple of weeks. A couple of major physical characteristics, great keybed and layout of all controls make it easy to work with. As I say once I get more cockpit time with it, I'll post more

Ditto to Mark and John's remarks it does tap into your "creative juices".

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 03/05/12 01:56 PM

Hi Stephen,
I'm sure we'll be looking forward to your thoughts in a couple of weeks time.
Getback to your keyboard & have fun.
Posted by: Oscar1

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 03/05/12 09:24 PM

Can't stand this talk about PA3x, it badly awakens my GAS that used to be in check...... MUST TRY IT....

Luckily nobody here carries one, what a relief.... case solved.

Re: Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks - 03/06/12 06:46 AM

Disclaimer:

A few years ago I use to take regular trips to visit with Frank at Audioworks. Life got busy both at home and on the day job. It's been 18 months or more since my last visit.

Been wanting to demo the Pa3x. This morning on a whim I decided to hop in the car and drive the 100 miles to see Frankieve. Headed out with both my iPhone camera and a Canon point and shoot camera with HD video. Figured I could take some stills and video. I did not!! Got too caught up in the demo.

First Frank is in new quarters since my last trip, he's got a nice new showroom that the old store didn't have.

I walked in thinking well I'll demo the board for an hour or so and be on my way back home . Before I left my wife said "I wish these manufacturers would stop making new arragners. I said, "Worry 'bout nothin my dear, I just have to demo this to see how it sounds".

And demo it I did after Frank gave me a rundown of the new features.

First this board has got to be the best looking arranger on the market today. (Don Mason and Uncle Dave may think so too. ) At first look it's construction like the Pa2xPro screams pro board all the way. The 76 key model was on display and it's compact footprint almost gave the appearance of a 61 key arranger. It's just a little larger from left to right than the Tyros4 that was stacked on top. Great form factor and real quality construction. I love my Tyros4 but I have to say the T4 looked like a toy by comparison. ( even though the sounds of the T4 tell a different story)

I liked what I heard Frank play when he gave a 5 minute or so quick tour of the board thru the attached optional speaker system, it sounded damn good. After his demo he said make yourself at home and play. WOW, this board blew me away. I never expected to demo and think to myself I WANT ONE!! LOL I spent the next 2 hours playing thru a set of Bose headphones. I had a Pa2xPro some time ago, but the quality of the new board is a quantum leap ahead of the old Pax2. Not sure what the folks at Korg did to the guts of the board but it's got a great sound.

The only way that this boards get the justice it needs is to see and play it live. end of story.

What I liked about the Korg PA3x, easy to navigate, took me all of 5 minutes to settle back right in with the touch screen. Improved and much smoother transitions between fills. The list goes on and on. Seems as though more and better DNC sounds than the old Korg Pa2x/800. Still they do fall short of the SA2 sounds on T4.

It's over 4 hours ago I played it, I'm back home and shaking my head in disbelif about the quality of what I heard. Ask Scott Yee about my impression. I told Scott when I finally made the trip to Frank's he'd be the first SZ member I'd call to tell him what I thought. This board is very impressive you tube videos, demos from the Korg site do not give justice this monster deserves.

I have said all along that the Pa3x is the best built KBA on the market and I agree with everything you said, even two arrangers the T4 and the pa3x what a combo, like you said the T4 build does not knock you over but the sounds and styles do and 100s of them floating around FOC, the T4 will take some beating but the Pa3x is like a Lamborghini for build quality, hope no one's got a Lamborghini and says you can hear it rusting in the yard. Don loves his and I am sure you will too. I still keep looking at the Kronos, but maybe a Pa3x.

Good luck

Tony