SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#339224 - 02/09/12 06:49 PM Re: Has Yamaha really come that far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Personally, I think where Yamaha has surpassed the great PSR-3000, is with the introduction of SA/SA2 voices (S900/S910 and relevant Tyros models), and the ease whereby even an amateur player, can bring off realistic expressions of the instruments they emulate.

Being an instrumentalist (many arranger players on SZ rely mainly on their vocals) having realistic instrument emulations is very important to me.

With SA/SA2, the more recent Yamaha arrangers are a cut above previous models, and with the Tyros4 being able to use these SA/SA2 instruments in styles, the difference is even more marked.

Hearing a PA-50SD (or KMA), and a PSR-3000, and comparing them, my vote goes to the latter for realism in the styles (mega voices) and the right hand voices, especially the guitars and pianos ...they are far superior...of course, this is my personal opinion...sound is always subjective. I do notice that several SZ members are still using (and enjoying) a PSR-3000, whilst the number still using a PA-50SD appears to be rather small.

It is only with the introduction of the dirt cheap KMA, that a few have drifted towards Korg...most of these same people never gave the then new PA-50SD a second glance, until it's technology was recently repackaged into a more inexpensive (and albeit, relatively more portable) instrument.

Has Yamaha come that far? I'd say yes. The recent addition of on-board Audio, (or Audio to USB on the mid-range), recording is another great feature.

However, so has Korg with their DNC and other features.

The arranger instruments from both manufacturers have been steadily, and markedly, improved over a period of time.

Roland, however, seems to be at a standstill with arrangers...none with anything substantially new sound wise, and none a fitting successor to the G-70/E-80.

Ian

#339239 - 02/10/12 12:47 AM Re: Has Yamaha really come that far? [Re: travlin'easy]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Fran

After just listening to your version of Over the Rainbow again there is no comparison, as you say the Micro sounds far superior and yours is a far nicer arrangement the swing tempo you used is far more suited to the song.

Regards

Col

#339265 - 02/10/12 06:15 AM Re: Has Yamaha really come that far? [Re: Fran Carango]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Larry, I don't get it...folks think this arrangement (recording) sounds great...and they dished my rendition of the same song, same feel (no seq)..the Micro rendition, sounds better and has more expression, even with mini keys grin

Both are ten year technology smile

Hi Fran,
I'd like to have another listen, but can't seem to re-locate your rendition...a little help please smile
Thanks
Larry

#340019 - 02/16/12 04:44 PM Re: Has Yamaha really come that far? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

You don't have to spend alot to sound good.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online