SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#338948 - 02/06/12 06:01 PM My Latest addition :)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I haven't posted for a while. ive been laying low but still lurking and reading most of the threads here on SZ.

I recently parted with My Tyros 4 - I had it only 3 months and decided to move it. why did I do it? it cost me $5,000.00 AUD and I figured I could be getting alot more for less. The fact that in a years time it would only prob be worth half the price in re sale value scared me as well..

so what do I have now?
I found a mint condition used PA 800 for $1800.00 and just purchased a MOX 6 directly from the US for $1000.00!

Total of only $2800 for an awesome arranger and Synth!

cant wait to get the MOX 6 into the dual keyboard stand above the PA 800. this has got to be close to the best of both worlds smile

The Tyros 4 was good and it has some great solo instruments but at the end of the day it still didnt make the cut. to me - yes its an improvement over the prevuious Tyros boards and the PSR S910 I used to own but it still is not as crisp and clean sounding as Korg (to my ears)... the PA 800 has such a good live sound I couldn't justify the extra $3200.00 for the Tyros 4!!

I am not trying to start a war of T4 against PA 800 because tehre are many good features on the T4 that aren't on the PA 800 - I just didn't need or use them.

I still need alot of the punchy fat warm synth sounds of the Motif which the T4 did have (to an extent) so the MOX seems to be a great fit in this scenario! and I can use the PA 800 to trigger them off through OTS as well via Midi smile

Its a great setup that should do wonders for me!

ill have to post a photo and some video demos of the new rig when the MOX arrives next week!

stay Tuned!

Nick

#338950 - 02/06/12 06:10 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: Nick G]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I think you'll like the MOX6, Nick.

Great sounds, and easy to use, and, no doubt, will be a great companion to the PA-800.

Ian

#338951 - 02/06/12 06:18 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: Nick G]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sounds like an awsome rig. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#338953 - 02/06/12 06:20 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Surprisingly lately many people are ducking out of T4 and such, and crossing over to KORG for many of the reasons you mentioned especially since the introduction of the PA3x...
You made a very wise choice wink ...
good luck with your new rig Nick. Keep us posted on your experiences.

#338955 - 02/06/12 06:28 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: Dnj]
Nick G Offline

Donny, this is the interesting part...

In Australia the Tyros 4 sells for $5,000-$5200.00 that is the going street price. VERY hard to find one cheaper...

the PA 3x is $3500.00 and you could probably get a better deal if u really try...

so think about it.. 1 Tyros 4 for $5000.00 or a PA3x for $3500 and 1500 left over?? Second hand PA 800s are very common now at around the $1800-$2k mark. or a budget synth like MOX or Roland GI fro around $1k to $1500.00

seems to make a lot more sense doesnt it?

Nick

#338957 - 02/06/12 06:30 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: Nick G]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Nick G
I haven't posted for a while. ive been laying low but still lurking and reading most of the threads here on SZ.

I recently parted with My Tyros 4 - I had it only 3 months and decided to move it. why did I do it? it cost me $5,000.00 AUD and I figured I could be getting alot more for less. The fact that in a years time it would only prob be worth half the price in re sale value scared me as well..

so what do I have now?
I found a mint condition used PA 800 for $1800.00 and just purchased a MOX 6 directly from the US for $1000.00!

Total of only $2800 for an awesome arranger and Synth!

cant wait to get the MOX 6 into the dual keyboard stand above the PA 800. this has got to be close to the best of both worlds smile

The Tyros 4 was good and it has some great solo instruments but at the end of the day it still didnt make the cut. to me - yes its an improvement over the prevuious Tyros boards and the PSR S910 I used to own but it still is not as crisp and clean sounding as Korg (to my ears)... the PA 800 has such a good live sound I couldn't justify the extra $3200.00 for the Tyros 4!!

I am not trying to start a war of T4 against PA 800 because tehre are many good features on the T4 that aren't on the PA 800 - I just didn't need or use them.

I still need alot of the punchy fat warm synth sounds of the Motif which the T4 did have (to an extent) so the MOX seems to be a great fit in this scenario! and I can use the PA 800 to trigger them off through OTS as well via Midi smile

Its a great setup that should do wonders for me!

ill have to post a photo and some video demos of the new rig when the MOX arrives next week!

stay Tuned!

Nick

Nick you may want to double check that the power adaptor (no internal power supply on these) is universal, and NOT restricted to the US voltage..

Yamaha Australia will not supply an Oz Yamaha adaptor unless you can prove it was bought from an Oz dealer!! Well that was what I was told..apparently to stop such actions as you have done...Not being critical at all...I say well done for doing it. Yamaha Australia pricing is always way over the odds!!!

The XF and Tyros 4 have country dependent power supplies, meaning you would need to buy one of those huge and ugly step-down transformers..

I think I can guess the commercial reason why Yamaha went that way, after all all the previous Motifs had a universal power supply..

Lucky Korg and Roland have stuck with it...

#338959 - 02/06/12 06:36 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: Nick G]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Nick,
From both our Skype conversations and meeting you in person, rocker
I had already predicted you were taking this route,
and can easily understand how this would be the most logical keyboard route
for you. I have to admit now that since I've had my first taste of the Korg
arranger sound in my KMA (albeit the earlier gen. Pa50SD) , I've become hooked on Korg too, and may eventually get a Pa3x, once my finances allow.
Until then, I'm having a lot of fun playing both the KMA and Tyros 4, albeit on their own separately, with each satisfying a different playing situation and venue.

Nick, congratulations on your new MOX 6 -Pa800 setup.
When you return to The Bay Area, lets get together again.

Scott smile

#338963 - 02/06/12 06:50 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Hi Dennis,

I spoke to Yamaha Australia yesterday and was confirmed that the adapter can be replaced by any generic 12 v 2 amp adapter you can buy from anywhere.

Also - if for some reason this doesn't work or it has a Yamaha proprietary connection - ill just get a step down transformer. Annoying yes, but still saved me over $500 in the long run.

Scott - As much as I loved the Tyros 4, when I went back to Korg - it was just a refreshing sound over the Yamaha. I think its easy to get caught up in all the hype like "Super art 2 voices" and the amazing styles on the T4 but at the end of the day when I went back to the Korg it just didn't bother me that I did have a sax that had auto articulation noises and effects etc.

Alot of the Styles on the T4 sound awesome and are breathtaking but all I found my self doing at the end of the day was playing and listening to intros and pressing buttons listening to music - not actually playing!

I have manually converted some of the Tyros 4 styles to the PA 800 and they sound just as good if not better. Drums on the PA series still shine way over the Tyros 4 in terms of Live crisp realism.

There was a period for about a month where I had the PA800 and the T4 side by side so it was easy to do all recording by ear and compare.

not sure when im back in the bay but I will definitely look you up! I miss those $35 San Fran Bay Crabs!

Nick

#338977 - 02/06/12 08:58 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: Nick G]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Congratulations Nick,

Enjoy your new setup.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#339079 - 02/07/12 07:53 PM Re: My Latest addition :) [Re: rikkisbears]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I will want to know your opinion of the MOX I am also considering a MOX8 for a second keyboard on stage and for some worship settings.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online