SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#337305 - 01/24/12 04:07 PM Micro Arranger
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Does anyone here own a Korg Micro Arranger??

John C.

#337317 - 01/24/12 06:09 PM Re: Micro Arranger [Re: bruno123]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I do, John.

#337354 - 01/24/12 10:49 PM Re: Micro Arranger [Re: Bob Hendershot]

Bob you have always been a great source of information, it’s good to see that you have one.

I would love your much valued opinion on:

1-An overall feeling when you first took it out of the box.
2-The feel of the keys.
3-The sound in general.
4-Do you feel it was worth your investment?

I am glad that it is your opinion that I am asking, I know it has been right on the money.

John C.

#337375 - 01/25/12 06:18 AM Re: Micro Arranger [Re: bruno123]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
John, you have asked several subjective questions. My view of things may not be the same as yours.

I bought the micro primarily as a sound module to be used with my Roland AT350C combo organ. I have it mounted on top of the organ with midi connection between the two. So, I will seldom use the keys of the micro. I love the feel of the Roland keybed but it is severely lacking in styles, orchestral voicing and editing functions. That's where the micro will fill in.

Out of the box I was somewhat surprised at the number of buttons for such a small keyboard. I was able to play the small keys fairly easily without looking at the keys. It was a little difficult to move quickly on the keys, though. After playing the micro for a while, I found it took a while to be able to go back to the standard size keys with accuracy. I wouldn't want to try to use the small keys too much. It is certainly not something that would replace a standard sized arranger. BUT, it is a great tool for small venues where compact setups fit well, like a nursing home room for example.

I have the micro connected to the input of the organ which plays through a pretty good speaker system. The sounds of the micro are excellent but not in the same league with my Technics KN7000's, nor the newer PA3X. The voicing is about typical of what one would expect of professional arrangers of the PA50 era.

I'll pass on the investment value question. That's just too subjective. For me, it's just icing on the cake of playing a keybed that feels so good to me (The AT350C). If I knew how to do it, I would post a photo of the way I have the micro and organ setup.

#337540 - 01/26/12 04:23 PM Re: Micro Arranger [Re: Bob Hendershot]

Bob, thank you. I knew I would get the type of answers you gave; they were just what I wanted to hear. Yes we are different with different tastes but loving music and keyboards are basic to both of us.

You wrote;
I'll pass on the investment value question. That's just too subjective. For me, it's just icing on the cake of playing a keybed that feels so good to me (The AT350C). If I knew how to do it, I would post a photo of the way I have the micro and organ setup.

This is the first time that I heard Bob say, “If I knew how to do it”, that’s not you. (smile)

John C.

#337541 - 01/26/12 04:24 PM Re: Micro Arranger [Re: bruno123]

My Korg Micro Arranger will arive in about 7 days; exciting.

John C.

#338811 - 02/05/12 01:12 PM Re: Micro Arranger [Re: bruno123]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
clap
I just bought a Korg MicroArranger and really love it. I've discovered that you can do techniques on the micro keyboard that you simply can't do on a regular keyboard. Because I play accordion, the keybed feels so comfortable and the sound is tremendous; not to mention the excellent selection of styles to play off of.

The MicroArranger is a real conversation piece when I take it to "jam" sessions. I get a big kick out watching the Jazz snobs face's when I blaze thru Chick Corea's "Spain" including left hand bass. Also, I don't have the problem of having other pianists trying to dominate the jam session; the micro keyboard stops them in their tracks.

Take a look at what Jordan Rudess does with the Korg MicroPiano. http://korg.com/Mediaplayer.aspx?md=4888&ar=307

For the price, it's the best keyboard investment I've ever made. I highly recommend the Korg MicroArranger.

keys

#338944 - 02/06/12 05:24 PM Re: Micro Arranger [Re: salsaman]

Salsaman I like your post. (smile)

John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online