SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#336827 - 01/20/12 03:45 PM Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm still having a lot of fun playing (even on those little micro keys) and exploring this powerful little microArranger's many features.
In the process I've come up with a few observations & questions.

Single Touch Button (STS): (pages 13, 16, 26 Owners Manual)
On the Pa3x, this button includes 3 dif. status modes:
1) Light off - STS does not change when selecting a dif style
2) Light On - STS changes to STS1 of the newly selected style
3) Light Flashing - STS is linked to var. buttons 1,2,3,4 respectively, and STS changes accordingly when switching between the four variations.

I've discovered, at least on my micro-Arranger that only the above first 2 modes are supported.
In other words, there is no way to link the 4 dif. STS to the four respective variations, requiring you to select from & press one of the 4 STS buttons manually.
Was the Pa50 limited this way as well?

Direct SD Button: (owner's manual: page 40)
allows you to view & call up styles directly from the SD card.
The manual says the micro-Arranger supports up to 6 pages (48 styles) read directly from the SD card,
but I'm only able to get it to recognize the first 16 styles (USER01 style file).
These appear via Direct SD button, on pages 1 & 2 respectively smile , 8 styles per page, BUT . .. frown
For whatever reason, the USER02 file (16 styles) and USER02 file (16 styles) aren't recognized from the DirectSD button.
When I move to page 3-6 in Direct SD, pages 3 & 4 simply show the factory styles already residing in the 'User2 style bank button' and pages 5 & 6 appear as empty.
Does the micro-Arranger only support directSD play of 16 styles (USER01) only, and not 48 as stated in the manual?
Anybody else experiencing this and/or have any idea what's going on?

btw: Thanks smile to John Smies for posting the excellent step by step instructions for connecting the micro-Arranger up to a Controller keyboard.
I admit I'm still having too much fun playing the micro on its own, but do plan to try midi-ing it up to my Tyros 4 as well as the Roland A-33 keyboard Controller soon.
I'll of course report back how it goes.

Scott cool

#336833 - 01/20/12 04:45 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Scott I hope you get the info you need it will help others also .....I never explored that direct SD feature at all on the KMA.

#336835 - 01/20/12 05:01 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Almost forgot to tell you that the interface between the Harmony-M and PSR-3000s Auxiliary input worked. The volume was still as high as I would like, but it did work this time around. I'm not sure if it will work on your current setup, but if I were you, before I spent money on the interface I would try going direct into the Micro and see if it works.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#336843 - 01/20/12 05:23 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: Scottyee]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Scott,
Not being able to change voices with each variation would be a deal buster for me.

Deane

#336845 - 01/20/12 06:01 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: hammer]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Almost forgot to tell you that the interface between the Harmony-M and PSR-3000s Auxiliary input worked. The volume was still as high as I would like, but it did work this time around.

Hi Gary: I assume that you were able to get enough volume into the PSR3000 without requiring an in-line volume amp unit.

Just 'how loud' are you able to turn your vocal volume up (via the Harmony M's input knob) when heard thru the PSR3000's speakers? I assume you're able to get your vocals well above the backing track & live keyboard play volume?

Gary, thanks for taking the time to perform that test.

Scott smile

Originally Posted By: hammer

Not being able to change voices with each variation would be a deal buster for me.

Hi Deane:

Though it's a little irritating to have to first select a new variation button follwed by another STS button,
it's certainly not a deal buster for me, esp at the micro-Arranger's $499 price point.

That said, even on my Tyros 4, which includes the OTS link to variation feature, I usually 'don't' have this activated anyway,
because I typically prefer not to have the OTS automatically change (and often surprsing me with an unexpected dif instrument),
so, more often times than not, prefer to select a different OTS manually instead.

Scott cool

#336850 - 01/20/12 06:09 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

That said, even on my Tyros 4, which includes the OTS link to variation feature, I usually 'don't' have this activated anyway,
because I typically prefer not to have the OTS automatically change (and often surprsing me with an unexpected dif instrument),
so, more often times than not, prefer to select a different OTS manually instead.

That's something I rarely use either, Scott...I think I have only two of my custom styles whereby it is more convenient to have the OTS automatically selected with the link function.

The rest of the time, that feature is off.

Ian

#336851 - 01/20/12 06:13 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

I NEVER use the auto OTS either on my S910....all my styles are custom tweaked and OTS imbedded to my liking as I love to select what ever sounds I want while I'm playing changing it up all the time..but hey to each his own I guess everyone plays different.

#336852 - 01/20/12 06:17 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I also tweak the OTS selections but have them linked to the auto selection process so that each variation has the sound I prefer. I think this is a big plus.

Deane

#336856 - 01/20/12 07:44 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I don't like to use OTS/STS etc...I think it tends to sound too fake...more like an arranger than a live band sound..

I like to keep the same players in my band or combo...

I prefer to use my basic user program (Roland speak)...Same bass player, same drummer, same piano player, same organ guy, same sax guy and the scat ready to go...I have these ready with the push of a part button...No surprises smile

This allows a more realistic band sound...

OTS selects such a wide variety of sounds ..it is like having a 30 member "Trio" grin

I always have a selected instrument in each family of sound..that is easily ready to select..again a single button push.

I also prefer the style players to be the same for each song...Some brands even screw things up with different bass players and other instruments, just by going to a variation within the same style (really stupid)..

Now I feel better!!!! smile

#336857 - 01/20/12 08:31 PM Re: Korg microArranger Discoveries & Questions [Re: Fran Carango]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I don't like to use OTS/STS etc.
I like to keep the same players in my band or combo...
Same bass player, same drummer, same piano player, same organ guy, same sax guy and the scat ready to go...I have these ready with the push of a part button...No surprises smile

Well put. smile
I like how Korg allows you to accomplish this with the "Style Change" button. When performing in auto accomp mode, with the "Style Change" button activated, and STS button deactivated, you are able to freely change styles, yet retain the same band instrument members throughout, aka: RT and LH live played parts. You can then optionally call up a diferent band member(s) on your terms. smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online