SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#333792 - 11/27/11 07:12 AM How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
This may be buried in an old note somewhere - but is there a way to contact Yamaha directly (or almost directly)? Or someone to contact who has direct ties to Yamaha? I know there are probably many "wish lists" for Yamaha's next Arranger keyboard, and lots of good ideas floating around.

What I want to request is kind of simple: when a new 'board comes out, since "memory is cheap" these days, make sure it has ALL/EVERY voice, styles, etc. from previous model. That way, when one upgrades to a new keyboard, they can just copy their Registrations over and have them work. Then they could tweak them to take advantage of new voices and styles - but it would be nice if they worked immediately. I'd think that if the Tyros4 had everything the 3 had, and the Tyros 5 has everything the 4 had (etc.), we could do this.

I have invested probably over a hundred hours setting up my Tyros3 (mostly Registrations for many hundreds of songs) and I hate to think of having to re-do many hundreds of registrations, or even to have to check them all before using at gigs, should I decide to buy whatever Yamaha has coming out next. I may want the new sounds, features, drums, etc. of a new model, but it's gonna be hard to know that I have to re-spend hundreds of hours of time to make it ready to use again?!

Just make each new board "everything in the previous one" plus all the new stuff. Sure it takes more and more memory with each model, but memory is (relatively) cheap and always getting cheaper.

What are other people's thoughts on this topic?
Jim

#333793 - 11/27/11 07:44 AM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: jimlaing]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
While the new keyboards have a conversion program you can use, I along with many others don't use it.

I am using styles and voices from the Tyros 1 and 2 (and maybe even earlier files) on my T4. The keyboard automatically picks a good substitute if there is a missing voice. In my experience there has only been a couple of voices I had to change in all the keyboard changes I've made.

Not to worry.

#333794 - 11/27/11 08:29 AM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: jimlaing]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Kim Winther's Registration File Tools were useful for a PSR-3000, and may also help with the T-4.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#333816 - 11/28/11 03:32 AM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: jimlaing]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Originally Posted By: jimlaing
This may be buried in an old note somewhere - but is there a way to contact Yamaha directly (or almost directly)? Or someone to contact who has direct ties to Yamaha? I know there are probably many "wish lists" for Yamaha's next Arranger keyboard, and lots of good ideas floating around.

What I want to request is kind of simple: when a new 'board comes out, since "memory is cheap" these days, make sure it has ALL/EVERY voice, styles, etc. from previous model. That way, when one upgrades to a new keyboard, they can just copy their Registrations over and have them work. Then they could tweak them to take advantage of new voices and styles - but it would be nice if they worked immediately. I'd think that if the Tyros4 had everything the 3 had, and the Tyros 5 has everything the 4 had (etc.), we could do this.

I have invested probably over a hundred hours setting up my Tyros3 (mostly Registrations for many hundreds of songs) and I hate to think of having to re-do many hundreds of registrations, or even to have to check them all before using at gigs, should I decide to buy whatever Yamaha has coming out next. I may want the new sounds, features, drums, etc. of a new model, but it's gonna be hard to know that I have to re-spend hundreds of hours of time to make it ready to use again?!

Just make each new board "everything in the previous one" plus all the new stuff. Sure it takes more and more memory with each model, but memory is (relatively) cheap and always getting cheaper.

What are other people's thoughts on this topic?
Jim

When I upgrade (as from T3 to T4), I always copy the entire styles section to a folder on the hard drive and no longer use the inbuilt styles section of the keyboard.
As all my T3 registrations point to the T3 Styles folder on the hard drive and this folder is re-created on the new Tyros, every registration already points to the correct style without further work.

There is still the matter of re-assigning voices in some cases but this will always be a necessity any way if I want to take advantage of any new & improved voices. In cases where you prefer to stick with the old voices, they can always be found in the Legacy folder.

I would be against lumping everything together in the same section, whether styles or voices, because this makes it harder to find what you are looking for.
Tony

#333907 - 11/29/11 02:57 PM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: jimlaing]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Is it possible to contact Yamaha arranger keyboard division?
Ciao,
Jerry

#333910 - 11/29/11 03:43 PM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: Jerry T]
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
You can contact Yamaha by phone at 714.522.9000
If you prefer you can go to contact us online, go to:
http://usa.yamaha.com/support/contact/keyboards_digitalpianos/

This is a support contact, not a marketing contact. The folks in marketing don't take calls from consumers. But we are happy to forward your comments. Just so you know, the product manager is on this site, as we as several others, most every day.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by YamahaUS1 (11/29/11 03:44 PM)

#333911 - 11/29/11 03:47 PM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: YamahaUS1]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thank you Steve.
Ciao,
Jerry

#333941 - 11/30/11 04:49 PM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: YamahaUS1]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Originally Posted By: YamahaUS1
You can contact Yamaha by phone at 714.522.9000
If you prefer you can go to contact us online, go to:
http://usa.yamaha.com/support/contact/keyboards_digitalpianos/

This is a support contact, not a marketing contact. The folks in marketing don't take calls from consumers. But we are happy to forward your comments. Just so you know, the product manager is on this site, as we as several others, most every day.

Regards,

Steve

I had one of the best experiences going back 13-15 years ago with a parts department rep from Yamaha, her name was Sandrika Cohen, I don't know if she is still around? Yamaha for me was always a top notch manufacturer, who makes quality products.

#333942 - 11/30/11 07:25 PM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: jimlaing]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
If you're into Facebook, a new and promising 'friend' would be YamahaKeys US

I recently "liked" Yamaha Keys US, and already had an impact in that I requested the PSR-650 manual. They were unaware that it was not posted on the Yamaha US PSR-650 support web page...it is now available to download.

I asked today, that if possible, to include the Data List (style, voice, etc.list) that Jorgen and others desire.

You may want to think about 'liking' Yamaha Keys US on Facebook to post directly any questions, desires, or thoughts. They also have an occasional "not seen before" videos, like the one seen below, plus lots of fun and knowledge. It's also great to know Yamaha reps follow the SynthZone Posts

------------------------------------------------------------

New Short Video that was posted on Yamaha Keys US Facebook:

Peter Baartmans is playing a kind of "Gregorian Chant" piece using one of the new "BoysChoir" Voices. He also uses one of the Freeplay Styles for the Pipe Organ pedal notes in the beginning. Notice how he fades out the Style and turns off the accompaniment about halfway through the piece. This lets him play the choir Voice over the full range of the keyboard.

... FaceBook Yamaha Keys US ...just another way to communicate.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#333950 - 12/01/11 12:59 AM Re: How to write directly to Yamaha to make suggestion [Re: YamahaUS1]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: YamahaUS1
Just so you know, the product manager is on this site, as we as several others, most every day.
Steve

Always a pleasure to have you watching us here Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online