SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#310033 - 06/07/10 03:22 PM New Software Based Arranger System
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Looks like I may need to build a new software based arranger system. My PC finally gave up the ghost after 6 years or so. I was running the system on Windows XP utilizing Steinbergs VSL2020 Sound Card.

This sound card is no longer support ... at least not in Windows 7. Do you have any recommendations for a good quality professional series sound cards. A sound card that would have at least 3 midi ins and outs, mic input, and the ususal other I/Os? I have taken a look on the internet at RME, M-Audio, EMU, Creative, ESI, etc.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Or may be I should give up and buy a Mediastation!!!! Oh Well...I am getting to old and frail for all this fancy stuff.

Thank you

Frank L. Rosenthal

#310034 - 07/03/10 08:06 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
you managed to get far more years out of your PC than I did my laptops.
Mine were lucky to last 2 or 3 years.

Sorry , can't help with soundcard, I've got an old M Audio which i haven't used in a couple of years or so.

Would all your sound libraries work in a media station?

I'm off to finally try and sort out my 2nd hand V Machine I bought last year. See if I can somehow run my soundfonts.

Good time to try, as currently my PA800 isn't working. I think you you must have jinxed it with your last post to me. haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Looks like I may need to build a new software based arranger system. My PC finally gave up the ghost after 6 years or so. I was running the system on Windows XP utilizing Steinbergs VSL2020 Sound Card.

This sound card is no longer support ... at least not in Windows 7. Do you have any recommendations for a good quality professional series sound cards. A sound card that would have at least 3 midi ins and outs, mic input, and the ususal other I/Os? I have taken a look on the internet at RME, M-Audio, EMU, Creative, ESI, etc.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Or may be I should give up and buy a Mediastation!!!! Oh Well...I am getting to old and frail for all this fancy stuff.

Thank you

Frank L. Rosenthal

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-03-2010).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#310035 - 07/05/10 11:01 AM Re: New Software Based Arranger System

Rikki, good to hear from you.

I had some luck. They were able to fix my old PC. The CPU Cooler had a hair line crack with the CPU and was over heating and shut down the the PC.

So, I will keep my system for another year and let Windows 7 shake down a bit and let the sound card manufacturers catch up with drivers that will work in it. M Audio makes fairly good sound cards. There seems to be a decrease in the number of sound card manufacturers. Even Creative doesn't make sound cards for this level of quality. It could be that many can't compete with the in-built sound cards on the PC Motherboards.

I would think most of my VSTs and Sound libraries would work in the MediaStation.

Frank L. Rosenthal

#310036 - 07/10/10 10:34 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
that's fantastic about being able to get your pc running again.

I've been busy haahaa. Worked out how to reformat my dell laptop, ( Dell must be about the only company that doesn't give you the option of formatting & reloading software automatically, or if they do, it's not explained anywhere).
Anyway, I'm starting from scratch. I lost the internal sound some months back, formatted it & loaded the operating system etc, but alas , still no sound. ( Must be a hardware problem not software.)
Anyway, not to worry, I have my old audiophile usb sound card, so I do have sound.

Partially got my software loaded back in. Got OMB working with my Clavinova as controller. OMB is working ok.
A couple of years ago, I couldn't get Live Synth Pro working with OMB directly even though OMB plays DXI's . In the latest version it appears to be working,(fingers crossed). Easier doing it dirctly than doing it thru Forte.
I've also been looking at another piece of software called Sample Lord. (I've got a demo version) It loads soundfonts plus other stuff. It works as a standalone, or a vsti. Tried it with OMB & I think it will work .
Haven't tried loading it in yet, but it may also work with my V Machine.

Hubby offered me a new computer on Friday.
Currently I've got a netbook with a missing key ( too slow too do anything musical with)
A 6 year old desk top that's too slow , also.
And a Dell without sound haa haa, but it's the fastest of the lot.
I'm a bit nevous about going onto windows 7 just in case my music software won't work with it. Are you aware of any big issues with it?

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Rikki, good to hear from you.

I had some luck. They were able to fix my old PC. The CPU Cooler had a hair line crack with the CPU and was over heating and shut down the the PC.

So, I will keep my system for another year and let Windows 7 shake down a bit and let the sound card manufacturers catch up with drivers that will work in it. M Audio makes fairly good sound cards. There seems to be a decrease in the number of sound card manufacturers. Even Creative doesn't make sound cards for this level of quality. It could be that many can't compete with the in-built sound cards on the PC Motherboards.

I would think most of my VSTs and Sound libraries would work in the MediaStation.

Frank L. Rosenthal

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#310037 - 07/11/10 02:25 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System

Rikki, I haven't heard any specific issues with Windows 7 with the exception that a number of the music software programs have not been upgraded to work with this new operating system. This includes some hardware drivers, e.g., sound cards.

It will happen....it's only time & money...

Frank

#310038 - 07/11/10 04:34 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Frank,
I might keep using my old dell for the moment rather than rush out & buy a new one with windows 7. Hope hubby's offer of a new pc doesn't evaporate over time. haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Rikki, I haven't heard any specific issues with Windows 7 with the exception that a number of the music software programs have not been upgraded to work with this new operating system. This includes some hardware drivers, e.g., sound cards.

It will happen....it's only time & money...

Frank

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#326246 - 06/09/11 04:27 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Frank,

I help run a Keyboard Club and so have literally thousands of music titles and other relevant data on my PC. When I updated to Windows 7 recently, I had great difficulty in accessing a number of items, so I invested in 'WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL' which allows you to work with all previous date using the "XP COMPATIBILITY MODE". It works well and for me, it was money well invested.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

#330578 - 08/17/11 01:04 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]

Well, there is a new software based arranger system in my life and I got most things working. The basic system consist of:

Windows 7
Live-Styler
forte
NI Kontakt 4 & Bandstand
Halion 1.5 (General Midi)
Sontius Effects
Brianspawn Audio & DeccaBuddy Hormonizer

i7 Intell Processor
8GB RAM
M-Audio 1010LT Soundcard

I hope it works out for me!!!

FLR

#330579 - 08/17/11 01:06 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]

Going on my past approach, I will refer to this new software based arranger system as flr2011.

#330580 - 08/17/11 01:17 PM Re: New Software Based Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Frank, How is Bandstand working out when instruments are changes within a style while running?

Bandstand does have a little lag to reload sounds..

And how are you doing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online