New Software Based Arranger System

Posted by: Frank L. Rosenthal

New Software Based Arranger System - 06/07/10 03:22 PM

Looks like I may need to build a new software based arranger system. My PC finally gave up the ghost after 6 years or so. I was running the system on Windows XP utilizing Steinbergs VSL2020 Sound Card.

This sound card is no longer support ... at least not in Windows 7. Do you have any recommendations for a good quality professional series sound cards. A sound card that would have at least 3 midi ins and outs, mic input, and the ususal other I/Os? I have taken a look on the internet at RME, M-Audio, EMU, Creative, ESI, etc.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Or may be I should give up and buy a Mediastation!!!! Oh Well...I am getting to old and frail for all this fancy stuff.

Thank you

Frank L. Rosenthal
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 07/03/10 08:06 PM

Hi Frank,
you managed to get far more years out of your PC than I did my laptops.
Mine were lucky to last 2 or 3 years.

Sorry , can't help with soundcard, I've got an old M Audio which i haven't used in a couple of years or so.

Would all your sound libraries work in a media station?

I'm off to finally try and sort out my 2nd hand V Machine I bought last year. See if I can somehow run my soundfonts.

Good time to try, as currently my PA800 isn't working. I think you you must have jinxed it with your last post to me. haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Looks like I may need to build a new software based arranger system. My PC finally gave up the ghost after 6 years or so. I was running the system on Windows XP utilizing Steinbergs VSL2020 Sound Card.

This sound card is no longer support ... at least not in Windows 7. Do you have any recommendations for a good quality professional series sound cards. A sound card that would have at least 3 midi ins and outs, mic input, and the ususal other I/Os? I have taken a look on the internet at RME, M-Audio, EMU, Creative, ESI, etc.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Or may be I should give up and buy a Mediastation!!!! Oh Well...I am getting to old and frail for all this fancy stuff.

Thank you

Frank L. Rosenthal

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-03-2010).]

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 07/05/10 11:01 AM

Rikki, good to hear from you.

I had some luck. They were able to fix my old PC. The CPU Cooler had a hair line crack with the CPU and was over heating and shut down the the PC.

So, I will keep my system for another year and let Windows 7 shake down a bit and let the sound card manufacturers catch up with drivers that will work in it. M Audio makes fairly good sound cards. There seems to be a decrease in the number of sound card manufacturers. Even Creative doesn't make sound cards for this level of quality. It could be that many can't compete with the in-built sound cards on the PC Motherboards.

I would think most of my VSTs and Sound libraries would work in the MediaStation.

Frank L. Rosenthal

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 07/10/10 10:34 PM

Hi Frank,
that's fantastic about being able to get your pc running again.

I've been busy haahaa. Worked out how to reformat my dell laptop, ( Dell must be about the only company that doesn't give you the option of formatting & reloading software automatically, or if they do, it's not explained anywhere).
Anyway, I'm starting from scratch. I lost the internal sound some months back, formatted it & loaded the operating system etc, but alas , still no sound. ( Must be a hardware problem not software.)
Anyway, not to worry, I have my old audiophile usb sound card, so I do have sound.

Partially got my software loaded back in. Got OMB working with my Clavinova as controller. OMB is working ok.
A couple of years ago, I couldn't get Live Synth Pro working with OMB directly even though OMB plays DXI's . In the latest version it appears to be working,(fingers crossed). Easier doing it dirctly than doing it thru Forte.
I've also been looking at another piece of software called Sample Lord. (I've got a demo version) It loads soundfonts plus other stuff. It works as a standalone, or a vsti. Tried it with OMB & I think it will work .
Haven't tried loading it in yet, but it may also work with my V Machine.

Hubby offered me a new computer on Friday.
Currently I've got a netbook with a missing key ( too slow too do anything musical with)
A 6 year old desk top that's too slow , also.
And a Dell without sound haa haa, but it's the fastest of the lot.
I'm a bit nevous about going onto windows 7 just in case my music software won't work with it. Are you aware of any big issues with it?

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Rikki, good to hear from you.

I had some luck. They were able to fix my old PC. The CPU Cooler had a hair line crack with the CPU and was over heating and shut down the the PC.

So, I will keep my system for another year and let Windows 7 shake down a bit and let the sound card manufacturers catch up with drivers that will work in it. M Audio makes fairly good sound cards. There seems to be a decrease in the number of sound card manufacturers. Even Creative doesn't make sound cards for this level of quality. It could be that many can't compete with the in-built sound cards on the PC Motherboards.

I would think most of my VSTs and Sound libraries would work in the MediaStation.

Frank L. Rosenthal

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 07/11/10 02:25 PM

Rikki, I haven't heard any specific issues with Windows 7 with the exception that a number of the music software programs have not been upgraded to work with this new operating system. This includes some hardware drivers, e.g., sound cards.

It will happen....it's only time & money...

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 07/11/10 04:34 PM

Thanks Frank,
I might keep using my old dell for the moment rather than rush out & buy a new one with windows 7. Hope hubby's offer of a new pc doesn't evaporate over time. haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Rikki, I haven't heard any specific issues with Windows 7 with the exception that a number of the music software programs have not been upgraded to work with this new operating system. This includes some hardware drivers, e.g., sound cards.

It will happen....it's only time & money...

Frank
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 06/09/11 04:27 PM

Hello Frank,

I help run a Keyboard Club and so have literally thousands of music titles and other relevant data on my PC. When I updated to Windows 7 recently, I had great difficulty in accessing a number of items, so I invested in 'WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL' which allows you to work with all previous date using the "XP COMPATIBILITY MODE". It works well and for me, it was money well invested.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 08/17/11 01:04 PM

Well, there is a new software based arranger system in my life and I got most things working. The basic system consist of:

Windows 7
Live-Styler
forte
NI Kontakt 4 & Bandstand
Halion 1.5 (General Midi)
Sontius Effects
Brianspawn Audio & DeccaBuddy Hormonizer

i7 Intell Processor
8GB RAM
M-Audio 1010LT Soundcard

I hope it works out for me!!!

FLR

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 08/17/11 01:06 PM

Going on my past approach, I will refer to this new software based arranger system as flr2011.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 08/17/11 01:17 PM

Frank, How is Bandstand working out when instruments are changes within a style while running?

Bandstand does have a little lag to reload sounds..

And how are you doing?

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 08/18/11 12:34 PM

Fran, I am doing relatively well given what I had to deal with in the last 5 or so years:

My wife passed away
My dog passed away
I had my hips replaced

You never get used to this but I think eventually I will accept this to as part of life!!!

I have fairly robust computers (General Purpose and a Music Computer). So I can put a great deal of stress on them and still don't notice any lags or latency of any kind. Both machines are powerful enough that I can set the latency at the lowest levels available in the software (ASIO, forte and so on). Bandstands takes a little longer to set up then Halion Sonic but they are up and running there are no delays with instrument changes. Also Halion is a 13 GB wavetable compared to Bandstand at around 2 or 3 GBs.

Fran thanks for checking in on me.

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 08/18/11 12:48 PM

Fran, I should have mentioned that Bandstand has a Quickload feature which decreases the load time when you first launch Bandstand. This would not impact instrument changes during a performance. I have a feeling that the whole of Bandstand gets loaded into memory .... sssuming you have enough memory installed in your computer. I definitly have enough memory in my computers.

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 09/01/11 09:06 PM

Hi Frank,
congratulations on your new system.

How's it all working for you? It certainly took me some time to sort out my software with win 7.

Originally Posted By: Frank L. Rosenthal
Well, there is a new software based arranger system in my life and I got most things working. The basic system consist of:

Windows 7
Live-Styler
forte
NI Kontakt 4 & Bandstand
Halion 1.5 (General Midi)
Sontius Effects
Brianspawn Audio & DeccaBuddy Hormonizer

i7 Intell Processor
8GB RAM
M-Audio 1010LT Soundcard

I hope it works out for me!!!

FLR

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 09/02/11 01:13 PM

Rikki, it sounds very good indeed. The whole system is stable and could safely be taken to a live performance.

There is one area I would like to improve and that is the vocal harmonizer. I am still using DecaBuddy. It must be 20 years old and hasn't been supported by Akai for many many years. I tried Antares' Harmonizers and I get a total system crash. There are many others out there. So I will keep looking and trying. The problem with Antares could be linked with using forte as my host. These two need to work things out.

Rikki, thanks for checking.

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 09/02/11 07:02 PM

Hi Frank,
I'm sort of putting my system back together again. Took me about 6 months to get it up & running. Dropped my laptop, broke my hardrive, discovered my usb backup was corrupt. eek

Anyway, may have to learn how to use Livestyler, I'm looking at Groove XR, apparently Livestyler is an option.

Rikki, it sounds very good indeed. The whole system is stable and could safely be taken to a live performance.

There is one area I would like to improve and that is the vocal harmonizer. I am still using DecaBuddy. It must be 20 years old and hasn't been supported by Akai for many many years. I tried Antares' Harmonizers and I get a total system crash. There are many others out there. So I will keep looking and trying. The problem with Antares could be linked with using forte as my host. These two need to work things out.

Rikki, thanks for checking.

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 09/03/11 01:31 PM

Rikki, just use software and foresake all those who use hardware based arrangers. Sadly, you will end up with fewer friends.....oh well!!!

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 09/03/11 05:36 PM

Hi Frank,
I'm sort of dabbling with both. Software & hardware. Gives me something to do. haahaa

Rikki, just use software and foresake all those who use hardware based arrangers. Sadly, you will end up with fewer friends.....oh well!!!

Frank
Posted by: arbrandes

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 10/24/11 10:08 AM

Frank, really nice specs! I'm on just 4GB of RAM, thinking I might need more for those Kontakt banks.

Rikki, how's vArranger treating you? Looking for a better alternative to LS / OMB.

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 11/13/11 05:22 PM

Rikki, I to would like your views on the vArranger vs LS. Can the vArranger handle Yamaha Styles and a GM Wavetable for the accompaniment voices/instruments?

Rikki, you should just give up and use software based arranger systems!!!!

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 11/13/11 05:28 PM

What about Akai GM Wavetables? What is an excellent GM Wavetable? Where can I acquire it?

I currently use:

Halion Sonic
Bandstand
Soundfonts - SGM 2.01

I find these to be very good. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Frank

Re: New Software Based Arranger System - 01/07/12 03:04 PM

Hi Frank,
sorry, I keep forgetting to check ther other forums, I mainly just log into the general arranger forum.

I don't really use my software arrangers much, but Varranger does a good job on the Ketron styles. It does play Yamaha styles , but I wouldn't pay that sort of money, to JUST play yammie styles. For me it was worth it to get access to Ketron styles again.
For Ketron you do need a ketron soundsource like an sd2. The Live Drums won't work with a gm soundsource. I own an sd2, but i also bought Norbet's ( LiveStyler) sd2 soundset on DVD. From memory I think they'e individual soundfonts, haven't gotten round to trying to put them into a useable bank yet.