SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#329528 - 07/26/11 01:27 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Scott, I got Sophie when she was about one year old. I have also had a Conyer for about 15 years (they're loud as hell!). I checked out Sophie at the pet store, but didn't buy that day. When I returned a week later, she had been purchased. On a trip two weeks later, I was told that it "wasn't working out" with the new owners.

The family had several young children and had purchased a puppy after they got Sophie, which was really hyper.

That made the bird really nervous and she started to pull out her feathers.

I consulted the vet for the other bird (Ralph), bought her, and two weeks later, she was a member of the family...healthy as can be and always entertaining.

We have a Koi pond and Sophie likes to stand at the edge of the water and yell out, " Come here, little fishies" (LOL).

You're right-owning an African Grey is a lifetime commitment. They are extremely smart and very shy. They are the "talkingest" of the parrots.

Great companions!

We only take her out for vet appointments/check-ups.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/26/11 01:30 PM)

#329531 - 07/26/11 03:16 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Scottyee]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott,
luv the backpack. Never seen one before.
I'm a bit of a bird nut , my little cockateil (Charlie), 8 years old, travels with us , except I only have a cage. When we have stay in a motel overnight, I have to wrap it up in a blanket & sneek him in. haahaa Fortunately he stays quiet, when he's covered. Rest of the time he chatters away. Learnt the hard way to keep him away from the keyboards, he chewed the rubber buttons on my psr1500, when I wasn't looking.

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Scott-that looks like an African Grey. I have one named Sophie, and my oldest son taught it to say "hide the drugs" every time someone rings the doorbell. R.

Russ

Cute, how old is your Sophie, and how long have you had her? Perhaps you can post a pic of her here. smile

Alexander's 27 now and I've had him since I was in my early teens raising him from a baby. He's a Congo African Grey which have a lifespan of between 50-70 years. He has a sizable vocabulary, but thankfully never picked up any bad language. He especially enjoys dancing and whistling along, and 'in time' to the music when I play my Tyros 4 and sing. He remains a true 'lifelong' companion pet for sure.

Here the portable backpack I use to take Alexander around in for day trip traveling:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#329540 - 07/26/11 09:24 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

Scott, I'm on the sustain constantly, and mostly have an EP sound in my RH. I'd be very uncomfortable without a sustain.

I play the Yamaha stereo piano voice 85+% of the time utilizing the sustain pedal constantly all that time too,
but I suppose, unlike you, I'm not willing to tolerate standing because it requires balancing all my weight on my left leg the entire time (hardly a natural position), and without any opportunity to switch back and forth between the 2 feet, because I use my right foot exclusively for triggering the sustain pedal or to trigger the fill to self assigned pedal, and leaving my left foot to trigger the vocal harmony on/off assigned pedal.

Even if one is actually able to balance and maintain their entire weight on their left foot all evening (as Fran C. does),
I can't, perhaps because I've never had ballet lessons

But even if I could, this would eliminate any possibility of the left foot available to activate another pedal, while at the same time needing to activate the sustain pedal with the right foot.

For these reasons, I sit on and or support my upper body weight on the edge of a high stool freeing 'both' feet to activate the sustain, and other pedals at will. More important is the health benefit of a 'pain free' fully supported & ergonomically balanced upper body, yet still affording the keyboard positioned higher than the traditional seated kb position for improved audience visibility. I recommend this healthier compromise keyboard height position approach. JMO. cool

#329543 - 07/26/11 09:52 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: captain Russ]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Cap Russ & Rikki:
Great to learn both of you are parrot enthusiast owners too. cool
I realize this may be OT, but it would be really cool if you guys would post a pic of your birdies (Sophie & Charlie) too.

In an attempt to relate this to music, Alexander not only talks well and whistles when I play my Tyros 4, but he also is an accomplished dancer as well, rhythmically bobbing 'in time' 'to my Tyros 4 playing and singing. He's even got those syncopated rhythmic moves down. cool

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

The family had several young children and had purchased a puppy after they got Sophie, which was really hyper.
That made the bird really nervous and she started to pull out her feathers.

Yes, the African Grey Parrot, because they are so highly intelligent (intelligence level of a 5 year old child),
are extremely sensitive as well,
and because of this, prone to pulling out their feathers if distressed.
Luckily for me, Alexander has never plucked his feathers in all of his 27 young years, and reamins well adjusted and happy. smile

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Scott,
luv the backpack. Never seen one before.
I'm a bit of a bird nut , my little cockateil (Charlie), 8 years old, travels with us , except I only have a cage.

Here's a link to the Pak O' Bird carrier I got for Alexander. He really looks forward to his outings and readily hops in anticipating another fun adventure riding around in it.
Rikki, Just in case you're interested, here's a link to the Celltei Website that produces the Pak O' Bird carrier. I recommend the 'small' size especially designed for your smaller Cockatiel Charlie. cool

#329547 - 07/26/11 10:50 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

the speakers have no mid range
You need to blast them away

Tony, you're a good guy, and a funny one too ... keep your sense of humor - it makes you who you are! I don't really think the UK is all that different from the US, except that you guys (mates) can't speak English!
smile

Dave,

Not so certain you are right on this one "English" started in England, if you were right Dave it would be called Yankee duel . I am not really funny Dave, this is what we are all like in the UK.

David,

I will never forget without sacrifice of your countrymen in 1944 I wouldn’t be speaking English right now, my hearing might be gone but my memory is 20/20.

Kind Regards Anthony (Full English Breakfast Name)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#329554 - 07/27/11 03:53 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
These rants over stereo vs. mono and phase canceling and such are all a very distant second to the art of entertainment. When a performer puts on a good show, with class and humility the crowd will respond in kind. With a full dance floor, the only "right" decision is what to play next. No one ever requested me to "play more midrange, please" LOL

smile [/quote]

well put Tio David:)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#329570 - 07/27/11 08:00 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: montunoman]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
These rants over stereo vs. mono and phase canceling and such are all a very distant second to the art of entertainment. When a performer puts on a good show, with class and humility the crowd will respond in kind. With a full dance floor, the only "right" decision is what to play next. No one ever requested me to "play more midrange, please" LOL

smile

well put Tio David:) [/quote]

How would they, they wouldn't know what mid range was , but you would, Mont you could even play midi files and pretend you are really playing the KB, how would they know that also. Mont, it’s what we perceive as sounding good, after all we are supposed to be the experts and getting the best sounds out of what we have ie. KB. It’s no big deal Mont, I just tried to say what it’s like in the UK, no one in the UK would ever get on a stage in the UK with a KB without a set of speakers i.e. left and right hand, be it and NHS home or whatever, guitar player yes one speaker, but not a KB, hell there are two outlets on the back of any KB L/R and on the Tyros 4 there’s about 10 outlets, I am off out now Mont to buy another 8 more speakers and a shed load of cables - see you Mont. wave

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#329578 - 07/27/11 08:45 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Tony Hughes]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Scott, I taught Sophie to whistle "Satin Doll"...at least the first part.

She get's up about 7:30 AM and starts her routine. The phone rings (her) and she answers it. Then, the coffee pot starts to "gurgle" (her). Then, she whistles "Satin Doll". That is followed by calling the dog and much more.

A real "ham bone", that one!

I'll send you a photo privately.

Russ

#329579 - 07/27/11 09:08 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Tony Hughes]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: montunoman

smile

well put Tio David:)

How would they, they wouldn't know what mid range was , but you would, Mont you could even play midi files and pretend you are really playing the KB, how would they know that also. Mont, it’s what we perceive as sounding good, after all we are supposed to be the experts and getting the best sounds out of what we have ie. KB. It’s no big deal Mont, I just tried to say what it’s like in the UK, no one in the UK would ever get on a stage in the UK with a KB without a set of speakers i.e. left and right hand, be it and NHS home or whatever, guitar player yes one speaker, but not a KB, hell there are two outlets on the back of any KB L/R and on the Tyros 4 there’s about 10 outlets, I am off out now Mont to buy another 8 more speakers and a shed load of cables - see you Mont. wave

Regards

Tony [/quote]

Hi Tony- don't get me wrong- I believe you should get the best gear you can afford, and yes stereo sounds better than mono. I just saw a fellow do wonders with a Yamaha E423, and a simple speaker. He has a fantatic voice, very good keyboard skills, and good people/entertaining skills too. Would a Tyros 4 and 2 Bose L1 make him sound better? Of course. But put a keyboardist with a low skill level behind the most expensive rig and the results aren't pleasing.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#329582 - 07/27/11 09:58 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: montunoman]
Tony Hughes Offline

Montunoman says:

"But put a keyboardist with a low skill level behind the most expensive rig and the results aren't pleasing."

That sounds like me Mont and I don't get any complaints.

Tony

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online