SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#329692 - 07/28/11 09:00 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: 124]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: 124
Nigel, is there a way the quote box can be widened a bit? It just cuts off enough type at the end of the lines to make it awkward to read, and moving the scroll bar back and forth at the bottom is a nuisance. Cheers.

I second that request

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#329693 - 07/28/11 09:08 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Tony Hughes]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi All,

Not saying that you all have hearing problems but just try this

http://www.kindhearing.co.uk/hoertest_uk.html

I also have tinnitus , some days it’s bad and sometimes it just goes away, high pitched screaming in your head, when I put my hearing aids in it goes away most the time, they self cancel tinnitus. A lot of people are walking about and have High Blood pressure and don't know about it, its called the silent killer, same with deafness, it is not just turning up the volume to correct it so you can hear it’s a loss of a range of frequencies, some of you will not know you have damage. I have said it so many times if you are working in a noisy environment you will have or are more susceptible to hearing damage and since you all work with KB sat on top of the PA or speakers, you are at risk.
I can now hear car keys ringing, my ankles cracking when I drive the car, water in the wash hand basin, flushing toilet, Ts & Ps are now clear all the high frequency sounds that I have lost between 19 and 60, I am not too proud to wear a set of hearing aids, anyway you can’t tell I have them in they are that small.
Word of warning they cost the same as the Tyors 4, if I take them out and start playing the T4 I might as well sell it, it sounds crap and so does the Ketron and the Korg. I have tried to explain to you about hearing loss, I am not going to mention it again but if you all think your hearing is perfect and you can judge mono or stereo sounds at your age then think again. If you are playing KB to old people they have the same problem, if they are telling you sound good, then believe them it’s OK by me, when did you last play in front of a bunch 20 year olds. Not their kind of music in your library.
Do the tests and please it’s not definitive!

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#329694 - 07/28/11 09:40 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Tony, what I find so amusing is the ads for Bose.

Nearly all the setups show a single singer/guitarist (which doesn't need stereo, or full freq range, for that matter) or a young lady vocalist playing an electric piano.

When used in a group setting, Bose recommends using a single L1 for each performer, which not only sounds better, but gives each performer a position in the sound field.

An arranger is literally a full band...BIG difference!

I was lucky with my hearing...I was wearing ear protection very early on, as our drummer back then worked for an audiologist and we had custom molded ear protectors at a very good price.

I'm not quite sure I would like someone with moderate to severe hearing damage recommending a sound system to me...I think I'd want someone with very good hearing and experience.

The argument over stereo vs mono will always rage as long as we each seem to hear differently, and work with different size budgets, or setup/tear-down time restraints or different size stages.

I spend so much time making my arranger sound as good as possible, and I'm certainly not going to run in mono, when it is very well known that it causes phase cancellations and my instrument isn't sounding as it it was meant to sound...so, stereo is the only way for me.

I always make sure that my clients know the pitfalls of using mono systems, and try to prevent them from getting any mis-information before they spend their hard earned money on a keyboard amplification system.

This thread will definitely show both sides of the mono/stereo issue, as well as the other results from using one or two Bose systems...and there's nothing wrong with that at all...the well informed buyer is going to be a much happier owner.

Ian

#329695 - 07/28/11 10:09 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ian,

I agree with everything you have said, at the end of the day if these guys are happy with one sound stick well thats OK I have no problem, I'm not listening to them, you won't find a Bose L1 on a stage in the UK, its just not cricket old bean, there are certain levels we will not go below and two speakers is that level.

Ian, when you did the test was your hearing perfect? What, What
What!!!

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#329696 - 07/28/11 10:14 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
While stereo is always nice I don't think anyone other than the performer and a small percentage of the audience in close proximity to the stereo field really get the benefit of it. In a large room those further back from the front probably don't notice much difference. Especially with the Bose L1 which make a point of being a non-directional sound source. I have heard acts using a single L1 system and the sound has still been great. While using 2 L1s would be nice I don't think it's critical to getting a great sound.

My rock cover band used 2 L1 systems for a while. While they were great for the vocal spread in the room even 2 didn't provide enough midrange to reinforce a live amplified rock band. We ended up returning to a conventional PA system. But I think either 1 or 2 L1 towers work perfectly for an OMB situation. After all the Bose L1 was never created to be a PA system but may performers found it could do a great job in that capacity. Originally the L1 was called PAS ( Personal Audio System ) designed for each performer to have their own. Sure stereo may help overcome problems in mono summing .... but then the problem isn't the sound system but the keyboard engine sound design itself. Spending an extra $2000 seems like a non cost effective way of dealing with a keyboard design issue.

Now I think we are all done with L1 discussion on this thread. Start a new one if anyone wants to pursue it any further.

#329697 - 07/28/11 10:28 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Synthzone Member Review of a "Single" Bose L1 Setup back in 2008

I believe "wrong" got it "right" in what appears to have been an unbiased evaluation.

#329698 - 07/28/11 10:31 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Ian,

I agree with everything you have said, at the end of the day if these guys are happy with one sound stick well thats OK I have no problem, I'm not listening to them, you won't find a Bose L1 on a stage in the UK, its just not cricket old bean, there are certain levels we will not go below and two speakers is that level.

Thanks Tony...I also don't have a problem with those using a single stick...if it works that's great.

I just want to be sure anyone buying a Yamaha arranger is going to get a system that will bring out the best in the instrument, and so far, the evidence all points to a stereo system...no phase cancellation, great (and true) sounding effects, and a good full range sound.

I had to have my hearing tested less than two years ago, after my surgery, to make sure there had been no side effects from the drugs...I have lost a very, very small bit in my left ear, so small I wouldn't have known about but for the test.

Just pure good fortune that my band-mate's boss insisted on us all wearing ear protection, and practically gave us the ear protectors...to this day, all of of us except one, have great hearing, and if they dug up old Enver, I'm sure his eardrums would still be in great shape.

Many of the other players back when we were doing the club circuit, especially those who were doing R&B and Rock have severe hearing problems today, some of which are so bad, that hearing aids just will not help. Tinnitus is very common.

I'm glad to hear (pun intended) that you were able to get the proper help with your hearing issues.

Ian

#329716 - 07/29/11 07:40 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi All.

I think Nigel is right, I going for counselling on this one and my doctor has changed my medication, I feel a little better, I tried to call a halt to it 14 posts back, the wheels have come off now guys, do as Nigel says and finally Gary’s red text gave me a migraine. Don’t think I will make it to my next birthday.

Tony

#329732 - 07/29/11 12:50 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony's right. Bill's playing schedule is AWESOME...a little less than twice mine.

There are other ways to generate music related income, of course. For instance, film scores for three industrial films (Fortune 500 companies) would generate as much or more income.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Keep at it, everyone!

Russ

PS-and, with sound scores there are NO BOSE REQUIREMENTS!

OOPS! Should have been posted on the prior thread-Sorry!

Edited by captain Russ (07/29/11 01:20 PM)

#329742 - 07/29/11 03:43 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sorry about the migraine. Tony, but gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies. wink I should know--that's why I cut back on my performance schedule, which until last year was about the same as Bill's.

I also know about the big guns, Tony. I was a first loader on a 3-inch 50 caliber dual mount while serving aboard the USS Newport News (CA-148). My mount (gun emplacement) was directly above a 5-inch 38, and adjacent to an 8-inch, three-gun turret. Back in the late 1950s the US Navy didn't issue hearing protectors, the results of which were pretty severe during the ensuing years.

My biggest fear is loosing my eyesight, which has deteriorated dramatically over the past two decades, mainly from cataracts. Hopefully, this will be corrected in January when I'm scheduled for lens replacements in both eyes.

Sorry about the rant in red guys--I'll try another color that's easier on the eyes when I have my next meltdown. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (07/29/11 03:49 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online