SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#329415 - 07/25/11 07:15 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
...how about that infamously well known "effects phase cancellation" phenomonem that occurs when Yamaha stereo sampled voices are mixed down to one mono Bose Compact unit, of which I've found sounds thin, harsh and unsatisfactory. Imho, going out stereo to two discrete Bose units is pretty much neccesary to preserve the full and rich sound, especially with Yamaha arrnagers.

Scott

Yes, you're right, and no amount of tweaking overcomes this phenomenon, in my opinion, having used Bose systems extensively for a whole season.

One will work, but, not satisfactorily enough for my ears, and believe me, I wished it would have done the job.

Then again, some people are more easily satisfied...great sound to me is paramount.

Rotary speaker effects, guitar chorusing, delays, are all done in stereo on the S910 (and Tyros) so in effect (no pun intended) you aren't really getting the most out of the instrument.

I wound up using two Bose L1 systems, which were, to say the least, incredible for my needs, which was filling a theatre with sound, and the stereo sweet spot was huge to put it mildly.

No, in my opinion, using one Bose (on a Yamaha arranger) is like listening with one ear half-covered; the difference to me, was that dramatic.

I sold my two Bose, at the end of the season, got nearly all of my money back, and now, while taking a sabbatical from gigging, I use a pair of old (but great) Yamaha MS-60S powered monitors (in stereo, of course).

Ian

#329416 - 07/25/11 07:21 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, how about that infamously well known "effects phase cancellation" phenomonem that occurs when Yamaha stereo sampled voices are mixed down to one mono Bose Compact unit, of which I've found sounds thin, harsh and unsatisfactory. Imho, going out stereo to two discrete Bose units is pretty much neccesary to preserve the full and rich sound, especially with Yamaha arrnagers.

Not a problem for the vast majority of us Scott. There are some folks that resorted to using a pair of L1 Compacts, but most of us continue to use a single unit for ALL of our work, including outdoor jobs. I've used a pair of L1 compacts and the sound is somewhat fuller, but as UD stated, with a bit of tuning they're nearly identical. I sincerely believe the audience(s) would not know the difference between a single L1 Compact and a pair, especially when well tuned. And, as you know I've never been happy with Yamaha's stock piano--that's why I created my own piano voices using the keyboard's onboard Sound Creator program and modified a GM grand piano voice.

Tony, Dave always stands while performing, has an outstanding voice and really interacts well with his audiences. He's constantly scanning the audience (probably looking for a cute redhead) while performing, but keep in mind he's a relatively young guy and can still stand for four hours with no ill effects. At our age(s) standing during a performance is out of the question. wink I compensate for this by using a Quick-Lock stool that has a foot-rest and back-rest that puts me at near-standing height while comfortably playing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#329420 - 07/25/11 08:40 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave, the Yamaha will display text files, so you don't need the computer for that.
DonM

#329423 - 07/25/11 09:14 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, is that your Parker Fly turned backwards? Looks like it, but I can't see the headstock. If it is, what model is it?

R.

#329425 - 07/25/11 09:51 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I too...stand while playing...always have going back to my accordion days , more than 50 years ago...

Standing ....still does not bother me..and yes I use pedals too, making me stand on my 68 year old left leg all night long primarily.. smile

I can remember Dave sitting during the 28 years I have known him...but in recent years..he is manning up, standing.. clap

#329426 - 07/25/11 10:30 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: DonM
Dave, the Yamaha will display text files, so you don't need the computer for that.
DonM

Don, yup - that's why I tried using a pedal for the page turner. I probably only have 8-10 charts that I read, and after 3 or 4 times ... I have them memorized anyway, so it's not a real issue.

#329427 - 07/25/11 10:37 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Dave, is that your Parker Fly turned backwards??

Yes, Russ - it's a Parker Midifly. I put it in the stand backwards to mute the strings from ringing from sympathetic vibrations. It's a great guitar in all way I depend on it:
1. acoustically - the piezo pickups in the bridge do a great acoustic sound for strumming or fingerpicking
2. the magnetic 5 way strat style pickups cover all my jazz-surf needs
3. the midi output sends directly to the Yamaha engine so I can blend a third sound with the other two. You should hear "Norwegian Wood" with the acoustic sound blended with a sitar, or "Highway 20 ride" using a choir pad under the acoustic. Sometimes, I use a tremelo electric with my position 4 electric for the surf sounds I use for Ventures styles .... it's a very versatile axe!

#329429 - 07/25/11 10:40 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I remember Dave sitting ... but in recent years..he is standing

Yeah, I remember working rooms that were set up more as piano bars, and the layout was more conducive for a seated performance, but I hated it. Standing allows me to interject more physical energy into my performance, as well as improve the visual both for me, and my audience. Once the dance floor fills up - a performer can get lost in the crowd - I try to avoid that!

#329430 - 07/25/11 10:46 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

With regard to the whole Bose and stereo thing:

I remember buying 2 compacts at first to try it out, but I found that the Bose was so efficient in covering a wide area, that it was actually bleeding into each others field (L&R), producing more fallout than a typical Yamaha mono summing issue. I still believe that most rooms do not have an ideal situation for stereo to be as effective as the total coverage that the Bose provides in mono. The sweet spot is mostly enjoyed by the performer, and the area right in front - many of my arena's need to cover around corners, and into other spaces to my left and right - stereo would be wasted, and thin sounding in these other spots.

On the other side of the coin - I do appreciate a good stereo chorus or phat brass patch panned for effect, and when the situation warrants it, I have my 2 QSC K12's ready for the task. It's just that for most of my work, it's overkill, and having a more compact setup that covers better is a better choice for me.

#329431 - 07/25/11 10:51 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Dave, how about that infamously well known "effects phase cancellation" phenomonem that occurs when Yamaha stereo sampled voices are mixed down to one mono Bose Compact unit, of which I've found sounds thin, harsh and unsatisfactory. Imho, going out stereo to two discrete Bose units is pretty much neccesary to preserve the full and rich sound, especially with Yamaha arrnagers.

Not a problem for the vast majority of us Scott. There are some folks that resorted to using a pair of L1 Compacts, but most of us continue to use a single unit for ALL of our work, including outdoor jobs. I've used a pair of L1 compacts and the sound is somewhat fuller, but as UD stated, with a bit of tuning they're nearly identical. I sincerely believe the audience(s) would not know the difference between a single L1 Compact and a pair, especially when well tuned. And, as you know I've never been happy with Yamaha's stock piano--that's why I created my own piano voices using the keyboard's onboard Sound Creator program and modified a GM grand piano voice.

Tony, Dave always stands while performing, has an outstanding voice and really interacts well with his audiences. He's constantly scanning the audience (probably looking for a cute redhead) while performing, but keep in mind he's a relatively young guy and can still stand for four hours with no ill effects. At our age(s) standing during a performance is out of the question. wink I compensate for this by using a Quick-Lock stool that has a foot-rest and back-rest that puts me at near-standing height while comfortably playing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Gary,

I just lean on my Zimmer frame, if Dave carries on standing up he will be doing the same,
cute redheads or not I am only thinking of Dave's welfare.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online