SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#329751 - 07/29/11 06:38 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Then there is the Missouri's 16" guns...Holy crap, now those are big babies!
The concussion alone could knock you down!

I certailnly have some high freq. hearing loss from working on IBM machines for many years.

#329756 - 07/29/11 08:37 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Sorry about the migraine. Tony, but gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies. wink I should know--that's why I cut back on my performance schedule, which until last year was about the same as Bill's.

I also know about the big guns, Tony. I was a first loader on a 3-inch 50 caliber dual mount while serving aboard the USS Newport News (CA-148). My mount (gun emplacement) was directly above a 5-inch 38, and adjacent to an 8-inch, three-gun turret. Back in the late 1950s the US Navy didn't issue hearing protectors, the results of which were pretty severe during the ensuing years.

My biggest fear is loosing my eyesight, which has deteriorated dramatically over the past two decades, mainly from cataracts. Hopefully, this will be corrected in January when I'm scheduled for lens replacements in both eyes.

Sorry about the rant in red guys--I'll try another color that's easier on the eyes when I have my next meltdown. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Gary,

Sorry to hear about the eyes, the operation is simple now, another day at the office for the surgeons,
you will be OK, you must have some hearing damage with those big guns, I have posted that hearing test site and not one person has come back with their results of the test. It takes about 2 mins to complete. We will be all thing about you in Jan, New Year new sight it will be good Gary. A new lease of life for you, good luck Gary.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#329817 - 07/31/11 10:06 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Tony Hughes]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
UD, I don't think that you can play a KB in mono it will sound dead.
Why did Yamaha put two speakers inside the KB , why not one right in the middle. Tony

Tony, I don't want to beat a dead horse (this topic), but I did want to clarify one point that may be overlooked in this debate.
First, let me say - I LOVE stereo - I have used it long before it was fashionable, and I enjoy all the perks it brings to a tone. With THAT said, I am a performer, and my audiences are rarely right in front of me, exclusively. They are spread out in different locations throughout the rooms I perform in. Even the so called "sweet spot" on the dance floor is usually to large to let everyone enjoy the same great tone at a great level, so the Bose people (geniuses) found a way for an entire room to hear high quality, balanced sound no matter where you were. This current setup has the quietest on board speakers I've ever owned, and I miss the "in my face" monitoring that I'm used to, but I'm trying to adjust to that. The stereo tones that used to fill my ears are now, so lost in the din of the room, I'm just happy that I can fill the room and not sound overpowering to any one spot, like conventional speakers do. I won't do brand bashing ... instead, I'll include ALL stereo systems as my test subject:

1. No conventional horn/woofer system is capable of the even projection of a line array, and that is why the Bose is so effective in it's quest to fill more space with sound.

2. Horn driven tweeters "throw" the sound at a quicker rate than a cone speaker, so the result can be harsh if you're in the front line of that horn. This has always been the case - it's how they are designed. They push the sound out quickly so it carries further. If you're right up front - you get the loudest, most damaging frequencies first, before they attempt to race through the room to reach the back wall.

3. Entertaining is all about connection with the audience, and in that respect - the melody, or voice is the most important way to establish that connection. For singers, we need to reach the audience with words that touch them, teach them, entertain them, and hopefully, won't annoy them. In the past, when I had the big rigs - people would take one look at the speaker cabinets and move to sit somewhere further away. They were aware of the risk and annoyance, I suppose. For a background music situation (I call it musical wallpaper - people appreciate it, but it's really just hanging there in the background), it's even more important that the sound is even and unobtrusive. No one eating dinner wants to be forced to listen to anything, and if a performer or musician is smart - they will do everything they can to enhance the evening, and not detract from it's pleasures.

4. Concert venues are a whole different story. The size, shape and audience expectations are all factors in what type of speakers to use. In my small world of local entertainment - I have found that repeat business is the key to my success. Please them and they will hire you or come see you again and again. I love using my QSC K12's in Stereo with my Mackie mixer - it's a tight, balanced sound and when it's called for - it's awesome. It's just usually overkill. Smaller systems like the Stagepass and Passports, just don't have the same clarity and punch. They sound OK, and they are reasonably portable, but they fall in the middle of the best to worst scenarios for my money.

5. So, how about the 2 Bose tower setup? Well ... I tried it, and I found a situation similar to Yamaha's phase cancellation happening. These systems fill so much off axis that they were dropping out right in front of me. I suppose placement is key, but there is not always the luxury of alternate placement in may "small time" situations, like the kind I make my living in. Simply put - Less was more in my listening test. Bose systems require a mindset change - the performer needs to adjust their thinking to a new generation of sound reproduction. In an iPhone world, the old Princess phone is simply outdated.
Sure, the ads target the solo performer, but that's because so many bands ore out of work. It's the soloist who has moved to the top of the musical food chain, and it's just smart business to know your market... much the same way that keyboard manufacturers make their keyboard sound the best TO THE LISTENER who bought it. They aren't even concerned how you're going to amplify these products. They want the user to be happy with the sound, and that's usually accomplished.

It's been said many times that all these instruments are tools, and we need to use them to our advantage. No one at Yamaha can possibly know how to tweak or organize a keyboard to facilitate MY style of entertainment, or yours ... or anyone's. They make a product for the masses, and they make a profit along the way. MY profit comes when my audience is happy, I'M happy and the bills get paid.

It's really funny how so many get their panties in a bunch when this topic is discussed. It's not like curing cancer, or healing emotional problems ... geeze - some of the responders need to lighten up about the whole topic. It's OK if you disagree, it's not OK if you provide false information to an inquiring population. Many of the readers here are not professionals and they base some of their buying decisions on what we have come to learn after years in the business. Let's try to remember that and provide unbiased, practical information that they can use. Of course, we will always interject our opinions; it's human nature to blow one's own horn sometimes. I'm trying to listen to other' horns these days .... if they are playing a worthwhile tune - the others ... well, that's just noise, and I'll tune it out.

In closing:
Stereo is not better.
Mono is not better.
It's the performers job to KNOW when to use what, and how to use it to the advantage of the room. The room is the boss.
I'm going swimming for a bit ... anyone want to join me? It feels like 100 degrees outside .... Cannonbaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll!
smile

#329819 - 07/31/11 10:55 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Tony Hughes Offline

UD,

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#329820 - 07/31/11 11:03 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Amateur, Pro, or Semi-Pro, you'll sound better with a two speaker/stereo setup on a Yamaha arranger. I really don't know how anyone could argue that one output is better than two for a keyboard that was originally sampled in stereo, although I'm not sure anyone here is actually arguing that point. They are happy with the single output, for whatever reason, so be it.

So Tony, I'm with ya mate...you, Scott, Ian, Lee, and me, that's enough for a basketball team. We can call ourselves the Arranger DualOuts, and our games will be broadcast in Stereo!

Yes, Larry....I'm with you 100%. I think the biggest reason people stay with one Bose speaker is that two are just to darn expensive for the more frugal players, and, they can usually justify using only one...but we know the difference...Scott and I have actually tried one unit extensively with a Yamaha arranger and the phase cancellation to us was totally unacceptable.

Many deliberately went to Korg arrangers to get by the issue and made a big deal of the transition...some have returned to Yamaha, and now suddenly, and conveniently, the phase cancellation is a non-issue....kinda strange, eh?

Maybe these people are actually able to put up with the infamous Yamaha phase cancellation and get by with one speaker, but, not too many pros that I know, and those who care about sounding at their best, will try and get by with using the Yamaha arranger in mono, regardless of what speaker system they choose.

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Well,
For one Why would anyone go Mono? We left that behind many decades ago....There is no PAN position, no stereo strings, no leslie effect, and many instruments will not sound good etc. And the 'Presence' is not there, and no seperation of instruments, drums etc. The reason stereo was invented was to give a feel of being in front of a live band, orchestra ect.

We have left it behind, Lee, and with Yamaha's arrangers, stereo is not only better, but it is essential...Yamaha's notorious phase cancellation pretty well requires the player to use stereo speakers (regardless of the brand), unless optimum sound isn't of paramount importance.

Ian

#329821 - 07/31/11 11:09 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
UD
Regardless of the perpetual battle that will always be with us, may I say that was one heck of a good illustration.

Bravo

Bernie

#329824 - 07/31/11 11:40 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
UD, may I say that was one heck of a good illustration.
Bravo
Bernie

Thanx Bernie, some folks will just never get it ... and that's ok too.
smile

#329825 - 07/31/11 11:44 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Tony Hughes]
Uncle Dave Offline

UD,

Tony, sorry to wake you. Harsh, directional sound from old fashioned, conventional speakers can wear you out. You must be exhausted from listening to your Tyros so loudly! I'll never have that problem with my setup. (wink)
wink

#329827 - 07/31/11 11:54 AM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
UD,

I suspect the story was just a wee bit too tedious for you, Tony?

Ian

PS...reminds one of Shakespeare's line..."the lady doth protest too much, methinks."

PSPS...what style do you use for the song "I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts?"

#329832 - 07/31/11 12:27 PM Re: Good things, bad things ... [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
UD,

I suspect the story was just a wee bit too tedious for you, Tony?

Ian

PS...reminds one of Shakespeare's line..."the lady doth protest too much, methinks."

PSPS...what style do you use for the song "I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts?"

Should that be " I've Got a Lovely Coconut " as in mono ???

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online