SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 17 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17 >
Topic Options
#328634 - 07/12/11 05:27 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Larry,
The way he explained it to me at the basic level is...when he lowers the slider the pitch correction gradually goes away and you hear his real voice theough the sound system.

#328636 - 07/12/11 05:51 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Were having fun here...so I'm going to take a stab at how this works....
He plays a MIDI file, it is using guide mode (I think that's what you call it) the T4 is waiting for a key stroke, when he hits a key the next MIDI channel 4 (maybe 1) controls the pitch correction function he added. The lead note sets the pitch for the vocal VH2...processor. It uses the audio from his voice, but, not the main voice, but one of the harmony channels to create the great in pitch sounds...When he moves the slider he is controlling the ratio between the main voice audio on the T4 and the harmony channel.

We'll see how close I am. I could be off as much as my way out of tune singing is!!

#328638 - 07/12/11 06:21 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: leeboy
IF this becomes available I will buy a T4, 100% for sure. I would have a ball with this.

This has been the first thing that I have heard on the Tyros 4 that really makes me want to get one.

I would have to know if/how it works with style mode. It looks like he singing along with a SMF and playing the melody. That wouldn't be fun for me.

Edited by montunoman (07/12/11 06:32 PM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#328639 - 07/12/11 07:48 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Lee and Gary. There are plenty of demos of this capability on the VP770, starting with the Roland site. Why would I make something like this up? Everyone is so busy oooohing and awwwwing over this that they conveniently overlooked everything I said. Since Roland has had this for at least 2, maybe 3 generations now, it's just pure BS to say that "Yamaha is leading the field" in this - just more self-promoting hogwash featuring the 'usual suspects'. In fact, it seems YAMAHA is not behind this at all, just one lone wolf employee. I'm betting a dollar to a donut that this feature never shows up on a Yamaha arranger, ESPECIALLY AS A FREE SOFTWARE UPDATE.

The VP770 will not only do what was done in that video, but everything else I said in my previous post plus a TON more, such as an audio recorder and what is effectively an audio version of a 'chord sequencer'. There is another couple that are members here on SZ (though they haven't posted in awhile) that also own a VP770 and who I am sure will verify everything I have said (or just call your friendly Roland rep and ask him - if you can find one that knows the VP770 and it's capabilities). Like me, they upgraded from the VP550 (which would also do what was done in the video). The number of features added in that upgrade is nothing short of phenomenal.

BTW, Frans was right when he said this was just becoming one big Yamaha promotional site. It seems like no matter what the post topic, the greatness of Yamaha and especially the T4, worms it's way into it. Maybe Nigel should split the GENERAL ARRANGER forum into two parts, Yamaha and Everything else, that way us 'Everything else' folks wouldn't have to be constantly bombarded with a steady stream of marketing propaganda blowing down from the north.

And BTW, Lee and Gary. Your posts sounded a lot more like "Oh yeah, prove it" than "Gee, thanks for the information, I didn't know that". But maybe I'm just being too sensitive.

chas

#328640 - 07/12/11 07:56 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Lee and Gary. Here's an even better idea. If you can, get in touch with Craig Knudsen of Yamaha and ASK HIM if what he demo'd could be done on a Roland VP770. I'm confident that he knows his competitors product well enough to give you an informed answer and honest enough to tell you the truth (since you obviously don't trust what I say).

chas

#328642 - 07/12/11 09:07 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: lahawk]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,

actually I think it's brilliant. If I had a T4, I'd get the option , just for the fun of it, even if I didn't get to use it much. One thing for sure, it would freak out the family, me singing. haahaa

[quote=lahawk]

Rikki, Good question on how loud one has to be to over ride your natural voice. In the video I could not hear his natural voice until he lowered the slider, and he did not sound like he was singing overly loud.. I would imagine it would take a little experimenting to figure out how to adjust the settings to achieve the best effect.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#328644 - 07/12/11 09:37 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Craig has developed it
My God his voice sounds super....

WHAT?!?
No "HIS" voice does not sound like anything - it's digitized. All he does is provide the syllables and duration - the tone, the character , vibrato - everything you hear is the software simulation....it's not his voice made better - it's his voice being HID. I admit, it is a good resample, or whatever the term is, these days, but it's not correction - the kb makes the sound and the pitch. Remember - he turns his voice all the way off with the slider during the parts that you all seem to like. It's a clever gimmick - a lot like the Barry White voice that I've had for years. It removes me from the mix altogether and only plays the octave below.

Edited by Uncle Dave (07/12/11 09:41 PM)

#328645 - 07/12/11 09:42 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

UD....He told me the tone is his, it is not a vocoder.
We hear his voive not a instument/voice on the T4 .

Chas. doesn't matter if the VP-770 is not an arranger, I could care less what it does. From what I saw/heard it is not an arranger and I did not thisnk the sounds of the singing was all that goos...sounded pretty digital.

I will tell Craig to check out the VP-770 as it may give him additional ideas.

#328646 - 07/12/11 09:55 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
My ROLAND VP770 (and the VP550 before it) does all this and 10 times more, including being a world class vocal harmonizer, a superior vocoder, a decent synth, and a good controller for my BK7m arranger module. It also plays wav's and mp3's with highly synced part markers for to up to 16 parts assigned to the bottom 16 keys of the (very good feeling) keyboard. It has so many other features that would make it a dream machine for poor-singing arranger players, but poor marketing has made it a 'best kept secret' in all but the top end of the music industry. Many well known touring professionals have it in their arsenal and those who have taken the time to explore it, learn it, and are open-minded enough to recognize it's potential, love it. One downside; it ain't cheap (@ $2100 usd). Oh, did I mention that it has 'Supernatural Brass', a Roland feature that operates like the brass on no other synth. Also, great strings and choirs. Oh yeah, auto chord follow, and auto harmony creation from the note you sing (with no keyboard input - plus these modes can be combined, if desired). With this KB, you can literally 'talk' the lyrics (and key the melody) and it will do the rest. This board goes WAYYYYYY beyond pitch correction. You won't be able to see all the benefits and features from a store demonstration; you really need to do some serious research and spend some quality time with it.

Don't want this post to sound like a super testimonial/promotional/sales pitch, like so many of the T4 posts (which, frankly, is starting to get a little annoying -we get it; the T4 is the end-all of the entire music world). This (VP770) is a seriously good instrument for those who need this type of keyboard and are willing to make the investment in time to learn to use it.

chas

Chas..you are correct...and the G70 also has the same capabilities...I have preached for years ..telling everyone.Roland has the best "smart" harmonizer in the business...I am amazed how little folks that claimed to try the G70..really know.. grin

#328647 - 07/12/11 10:06 PM Re: You will not believe this!!!!! [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
UD....He told me the tone is his, it is not a vocoder.
We hear his voive not a instument/voice on the T4 .

Chas. doesn't matter if the VP-770 is not an arranger, I could care less what it does. From what I saw/heard it is not an arranger and I did not thisnk the sounds of the singing was all that goos...sounded pretty digital.

Well said, Lee. Methinks the Tyros4 harmonizer is far beyond what we expected, and Craig is proving that point.

The VP-770 not only isn't an arranger, but it is limited to a meagre 49-note keyboard and digital sounding voices.

The Tyros4 harmonizer is far more useful to an arranger player than the VP-770.

I am looking forward to any more information you can get from Craig.

Ian

Page 7 of 17 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online