SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#328401 - 07/09/11 01:50 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Ian,

Are your clinics like Gary's clinics.

Tony

I didn't know I had a clinic--but at my age I seem to spend more time in them than I wish. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Ha Ha...as you always say, Gary, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

A guy met his Doctor in the grocery store, and the Doctor said, "Hey, Joe, I haven't seen you for months."

Joe says, "Yeah, I've been sick."

Ian grin

#328414 - 07/09/11 07:07 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Gary,
sorry but I can't totally agree with you.

the style editing /creation functions to my mind are better on the korg than on my Yamaha. I've played around with both extensively. Note, I didn't say Korg styles are better, I actually prefer a lot of the Yamaha styles.

Every bit of style editing/recording can be done within the korg itself . There is event list edit for every single style track, drums, bass and the other 5 instruments. You've got your copy & paste of individual style tracks, complete style parts, you can even copy pads to create a new style. Actually you can also create a pad from a style track. No need for external programs it's all done internally. Having said that, if someone prefers to create or edit a style in a pc sequencer they can.

A korg style can be exported as a midifile to a PC sequencer. There it can be edited , saved and imported back into korg style creator as a midifile. The style when it's exported into a pc sequencer, actually looks fairly similar to how a Yamaha style looks like, when using Michael Beddersoms Style Creator software and a sequencer. They both use MARKERS to show up the Intro's fills Variations.

One big difference also, Korg styles can have genuine different time signatures for each of the style parts, they don't have to be converted using software similar to Jorgen's. Really don't know what Yammie players would do without the wonderful software that Jorgen & Michael provide for editing Yamaha styles.

As Gary says though, there are a lot more Yammie styles floating around than there are Korg. Sorting good from bad, can take time. I spent the first 12 months of owning my PSR9000 pro , downloading, auditioning & rejecting styles. haahaa

Lee,

I'm not convinced that Korg's style creator program is better, just different. Both are really good, and as SqueakD stated above, the later keyboards have tools that allow you to be very creative by copying from one style to another, something that began with the PSR-2000 and was expanded from that point on.

I think the easiest way to start is to use an existing style and modify it for your particular needs, which is what I did when I purchased the PSR-3000 many years ago. I took the MORswing style, which sounded perfect for the song "Can't Smile Without You" and changed the intro using the keyboard's onboard style creator program. Essentially, the meaures were the correct length, and all I had to do was create the intro by using the whistle sound and recording it into the intro--ir worked perfectly. Since then I've modified hundreds of styles, plus created a few from scratch.

The best advice I have is if you have access to a Yamaha keyboard, PSR or Tyros series, give it a try before you buy. Same hold true for the Korg--try before you buy. I think the biggest advantage of Yamaha V/S any other manufacturer is the number of great, third-party styles available. There are thousands upon thousands available on the PSR-Tutorial site alone, and Jorgen's site has links to thousands upon thousands as well. Some of them are not very good, some are horrible, some are incredible. It took years of going through the 44,000 styles I have archived to sort out the good from the bad, then find or create the incredible. It was a lot of work, but well worth the effort.

If you want me to send some great, song specific styles to you to try out on any Yamaha keyboard, email me and I be more than happy to comply.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#328416 - 07/09/11 07:24 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Rikki,

You can pretty much do the same things with Yamaha's Style Creator. However, I haven't worked with the Korg for several years, so things may have changed a bit. I'm to the point now where I rarely have to tune or create styles. There are so many great styles available to work with that it only takes some minor tweaking and maybe a change in the OTS settings and the styles are ready for onstage use.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#328418 - 07/09/11 08:38 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: rikkisbears]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Gary,

the style editing /creation functions to my mind are better on the korg than on my Yamaha. Really don't know what Yammie players would do without the wonderful software that Jorgen & Michael provide for editing Yamaha styles.

You are correct, Rikki...the Korg offers more extensive style editing/creation functions.

I know I am very grateful to Jorgen's and Michael for their software, as it enables me to do basically what you can do on the Korg instrument itself.

I should add, since I basically use Style Assembly for 99% of my style making, I'm pretty content with the Yamaha Style Creator.

Ian

#328419 - 07/09/11 08:57 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Gary,
the Korg style creator has. My prior korg to my PA800 was the i2, it was pretty basic.

You can do things like cutting a section out of a style track

You can record a just say a 2 bar drum pattern , change the bars to 8, you've automatically got an 8 bar pattern. Further more there's a drum remapper function where I could record a single track, copy to the other 3 variations, , set the mapping to a different setting for each, and each of the variations sounds different. The higher the number, the more dynamic the pattern sounds.

Or just say you have an onboard 8 bar pattern, you don't like the 4 first 4 bars, you just cut them out. You end up with a 4 bar pattern.
I found this function handy for some of the BIAB styles I did . I recorded 32 bars of BIAB & cut out sections that were repetative.

All the onboard styles are fully editable in an event list editor. Not so in my PSR1500, but maybe things have changed in the newer models.

There's probably stuff I still haven't discovered over the last 3 years that can be done as far as editing goes, I waste an awful lot of time on it, but I luv it . haahaa

Rikki,

You can pretty much do the same things with Yamaha's Style Creator. However, I haven't worked with the Korg for several years, so things may have changed a bit. I'm to the point now where I rarely have to tune or create styles. There are so many great styles available to work with that it only takes some minor tweaking and maybe a change in the OTS settings and the styles are ready for onstage use.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#328420 - 07/09/11 09:11 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: ianmcnll]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ian,
for style assembly, I'd have to agree. If you're copying a style track, then you're copying a style track whether it be korg or Yamaha.
I don't think these 2 guys really get enough recognition for the great work they've done for Yammie users.
Anyone who's into editing , has probably got one or more of their programs. I know I do.

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Hi Gary,

the style editing /creation functions to my mind are better on the korg than on my Yamaha. Really don't know what Yammie players would do without the wonderful software that Jorgen & Michael provide for editing Yamaha styles.

You are correct, Rikki...the Korg offers more extensive style editing/creation functions.

I know I am very grateful to Jorgen's and Michael for their software, as it enables me to do basically what you can do on the Korg instrument itself.

I should add, since I basically use Style Assembly for 99% of my style making, I'm pretty content with the Yamaha Style Creator.

Ian

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#328423 - 07/09/11 10:24 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: rikkisbears]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Hi Ian,
for style assembly, I'd have to agree. If you're copying a style track, then you're copying a style track whether it be korg or Yamaha.
I don't think these 2 guys really get enough recognition for the great work they've done for Yammie users.
Anyone who's into editing , has probably got one or more of their programs. I know I do.

(snip)

Thanks, Rikki.

Best wishes
Jørgen

#328429 - 07/10/11 01:48 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: joso]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jorgen,
credit, where credit's due.

Originally Posted By: joso
Hi

Hi Ian,

(snip)

Thanks, Rikki.

Best wishes
Jørgen

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#328440 - 07/10/11 06:25 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Jorgen,
Thanks very much for all your work and super programs....
That said.....IF your programs did not exist...What would Yamaha users do when they wanted some advanced editing etc???

That...in a nutshell has been my complaint all the time...Yamaha PSR division does not care about us needing more PRO features.
It is not just in the styles dept. it is other areas of the instruments too (like MIDI implementation).

The Yamaha arrangers a super...but they stop short of having a model with many features some of us want/need.

I can't think of any editing/features on Korg that they don't have that I want (including the new TC helicon and chord seq.)...but, limited styles available and the difference in sounds are the reason I hesitate on the PA3.

My wish is that Yamaha would finally have a arranger with all the features MANY of us ask for and are never given because of the PSR divisions management direction or lack of.

Yes, I know they sell a lot of them....but in todays technology, there is no reason they can not have a PRO model, so to speak.

I would guess MANY Yamaha users have and use Jorgen's programs??? I wander if they would switch brands if they did not exist???

#328442 - 07/10/11 06:36 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Without the tireless work of Jorgen, Michael Bedesem, and a handful of other creative and resourceful individuals many of us would still be living in the Dark Ages of arranger keyboards. Others that deserve recognition include: Heiko Plate, Joe Maas, Peter Wierzba, Kim Winther and some lesser known folks, all of which have contributed immensely to the advancement of arranger keyboard players.

Thanks to all,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online