SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#328402 - 07/09/11 02:02 PM An unusual request...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today, while performing at an upscale retirement community, the AD came to me and asked if I could perform a special song for a couple who were celebrating their anniversary. "No problem'" I replied and immediately went playing and singing "Look At Us," a song that everyone seems to love for anniversaries these days.

The couple got up and danced through the entire song, did some excellent dance-floor moves, and when the song ended they both came over and thanked me. I asked how long they have been married and the wife perked up and said "74 years as of today!" My jaw must have dropped and asked "If it's not too personal, how old are you?" The husband, who appeared to be in his early 80s said "I just turned 102 last month, but my wife is still a spring chicken at 101."

The husband then asked if I would be able to perform at their 75th wedding anniversary and I agreed. The AD came to me later and said a visiting family asked if I would be available for a 100th birthday party in August, which I also booked.

Just about the time you think you're over the hill and wonder how many years you still have left in the entertainment biz, something like this happens and gives you an entirely new outlook on life.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#328406 - 07/09/11 03:35 PM Re: An unusual request... [Re: travlin'easy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gary,
Nice story...great to be appriciated...now if we could all make the 101 and be in at least fair health...that would be something.
My friend's mom just passed at age 104.

When ever I go to a club etc... or other place where live musicians perform....I always seem to find a few including me that appreciate the talent AND want to be freeking quiet enough to hear it!
Really bugs me when a great performance is going on and a bunch of folks don't even notice it. I guess the check still spends!
That's one reason I guess I don't gig out...the other is I'm not good enough!

Edited by leeboy (07/09/11 03:36 PM)

#328409 - 07/09/11 04:08 PM Re: An unusual request... [Re: travlin'easy]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Today, while performing at an upscale retirement community, the AD came to me and asked if I could perform a special song for a couple who were celebrating their anniversary. "No problem'" I replied and immediately went playing and singing "Look At Us," a song that everyone seems to love for anniversaries these days.

The couple got up and danced through the entire song, did some excellent dance-floor moves, and when the song ended they both came over and thanked me. I asked how long they have been married and the wife perked up and said "74 years as of today!" My jaw must have dropped and asked "If it's not too personal, how old are you?" The husband, who appeared to be in his early 80s said "I just turned 102 last month, but my wife is still a spring chicken at 101."

The husband then asked if I would be able to perform at their 75th wedding anniversary and I agreed. The AD came to me later and said a visiting family asked if I would be available for a 100th birthday party in August, which I also booked.

Just about the time you think you're over the hill and wonder how many years you still have left in the entertainment biz, something like this happens and gives you an entirely new outlook on life.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Wow, that's amazing! I don't know if I've ever seen a couple that are both over 100.

#328411 - 07/09/11 04:51 PM Re: An unusual request... [Re: travlin'easy]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Way to go Gary..I'm sure you charmed the heck out of that audience. I only hope to make it 80, let a lone 100!

Keep on playing.

P.S. How's the boating going this summer on the bay?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#328413 - 07/09/11 06:42 PM Re: An unusual request... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I'm taking my wife and daughter out on the bay tomorrow morning. Should be a great day if the winds pick up a bit.

The neatest thing about these folks is that they danced, and walked without the aid of canes or walkers. After a one-hour performance I have trouble getting off the stool and I'm only 70.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#328415 - 07/09/11 07:20 PM Re: An unusual request... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I’ve been following these conversations about senior gigs and you guys make it sound very appealing. Today I had a meeting about a wedding gig, nice people, but it’s a lot of work. On the way home, I thought about all the senior facilities in my area – close to home … Limited traveling, day work. I just returned from North Carolina, now I’m about to book a hotel for an August gig in Pittsburg, Pa. (I’m in the Philadelphia ‘Burbs). The money is decent, but I’m 69 and packing up after a 4 hour wedding or festival gig is taking more time as I’m tired then there is the driving.
So, Gary et al, can you give me advice about getting this kind of work … do I prepare a brochure, a flyer, an 8X10 glossy …? Do I knock on doors, use phone solicitation, or mailings? What actually works best? I’ve been reading lots of related posts and I see that repertoires range from music of the 40’s to R&B. What actually works best? What other questions should I be asking?
Ciao,
Jerry

#328417 - 07/09/11 07:37 PM Re: An unusual request... [Re: Jerry T]
travlin'easy Offline

Jerry,

You are basically in the same, general, market area that I'm in--the mid-Atlantic region. It is extremely lucrative and growing constantly, even in this lousy economy. If you are a member of the PSR-Tutorial forum you can access a wealth of information, some of which I posted HERE.

I have a hard and fast rule for weddings now: I'll only do weddings if the bridge and groom are 55-years-old or older. I don't play kids music, I no longer can tolerate drunken teenagers and adolescent 35 to 50 year olds and my price structure is the same for all jobs. I've turned down several weddings over the past 5 years, and from reports I got from those who took those jobs, they wish they would have turned them down as well.

The NH circuit can be very lucrative, and from my standpoint, it's the most rewarding job I've ever had. Check out the link and you'll find lots of great information that can help you on your way.

Good luck from another old man,

Gary cool

#328427 - 07/09/11 11:42 PM Re: An unusual request... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Cheers,

Gary cool

Gary,

You failed to ask the AD one important question, what the hell are they feeding them at that home, I want some. Sell your boat and buy a ton of it old lad! BTW I am 67 and beginning to smell a bit, don’t think I will make it to 100, what about you Gary, bet you can't cut a dash on the floor. Waltz of you, not a Rumba do you replacement hip in hey!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328430 - 07/10/11 01:54 AM Re: An unusual request... [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Wow,
what an amazing story Gary. I'd be happy if I'm that fit at 75, let alone a 75th wedding anniversary.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#328439 - 07/10/11 06:18 AM Re: An unusual request... [Re: Tony Hughes]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony,

That particular day they served Maryland style crab cakes, coleslaw, and fries for lunch. Not exactly health food, but when you're that old who cares. As for me, no body parts replaced as yet, and at age 70, it's unlikely that I'll be having anything replaced in the immediate future. I can still dance pretty good, even for an old guy, but I was never good at the Waltz.

Now, if you're beginning to smell a bit at 67 it may be a good time to change YOUR dietary habits--crab cakes, fries and beer would be a good starter. wink

Rikki - You seem to be the kind of person that I think would live to be 100. And, you'll still be playing some sort of keyboard until the day you pass. smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (07/10/11 06:20 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online