SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#328238 - 07/06/11 10:12 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: travlin'easy]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Gary

Just my words ;-)

Jørgen

#328316 - 07/08/11 11:57 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Personally I find the style creators on more recent PSR's to be quite easy and intuitive to use. There are tools in there that simplify style creation that previous PSR's did not have (such as copying entire parts from one section to the next). That alone is a huge time saver.

I think what deters a lot of people are several things. Recording drums (even when broken down by parts) is very difficult for many. Keeping bass lines and chord tracks within the predetermined key signature (so that chord recognition is properly applied) can also be hard for some.

Another area of difficulty for many is recording those fills.

Edited by squeak_D (07/08/11 11:58 AM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#328321 - 07/08/11 01:07 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gary,
OK...Thanks. I know the basic precess, I was wandering how easy it is on the T4.
I hope the Tyros 4 has all the pro level editing for style creation....I know Rikki (Australia) moved from Yamaha to Korg because of the better style creation tools...I am concerned about that before I switch to Yamaha.
Anyone...please comment on that...
Thanks

#328326 - 07/08/11 01:37 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Lee,

I'm not convinced that Korg's style creator program is better, just different. Both are really good, and as SqueakD stated above, the later keyboards have tools that allow you to be very creative by copying from one style to another, something that began with the PSR-2000 and was expanded from that point on.

I think the easiest way to start is to use an existing style and modify it for your particular needs, which is what I did when I purchased the PSR-3000 many years ago. I took the MORswing style, which sounded perfect for the song "Can't Smile Without You" and changed the intro using the keyboard's onboard style creator program. Essentially, the meaures were the correct length, and all I had to do was create the intro by using the whistle sound and recording it into the intro--ir worked perfectly. Since then I've modified hundreds of styles, plus created a few from scratch.

The best advice I have is if you have access to a Yamaha keyboard, PSR or Tyros series, give it a try before you buy. Same hold true for the Korg--try before you buy. I think the biggest advantage of Yamaha V/S any other manufacturer is the number of great, third-party styles available. There are thousands upon thousands available on the PSR-Tutorial site alone, and Jorgen's site has links to thousands upon thousands as well. Some of them are not very good, some are horrible, some are incredible. It took years of going through the 44,000 styles I have archived to sort out the good from the bad, then find or create the incredible. It was a lot of work, but well worth the effort.

If you want me to send some great, song specific styles to you to try out on any Yamaha keyboard, email me and I be more than happy to comply.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#328364 - 07/09/11 06:16 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gary,
Thanks very much...I really appreciate the support and offers....
Maybe instead of going through thousands of styles, folks like your self can just share the ones they find at least useable....
Thanks,

#328370 - 07/09/11 08:15 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Lee,

You have mail.

Gary cool

#328379 - 07/09/11 08:40 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use Yamaha's Style Assembly part of Style Creator for most of my style making...I can always find an appropriate part in another style that will work for me, plus the note limits and NTR are are already done for you, so no problem with chords.

Most of my "work styles" have as many as 7 variations, as I use the intros as new variations.

The other part of Style Creator I use a fair bit is the Groove & Dynamics, which is great for adding a swing feel to a style, or, for matching up parts from two different types of style (swing and 8 beat for example).

Using Yamaha's Style Creator as described above is pretty easy to do...I usually cover it in my follow-up clinics.

Ian

#328392 - 07/09/11 11:28 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ian,

Are your clinics like Gary's clinics.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328394 - 07/09/11 11:46 AM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Ian,

Tony

I know this will be hard to believe, Tony, but they are even more exciting than Gary's. wink

Ian

#328399 - 07/09/11 01:46 PM Re: Any videos of someone creating a style available? [Re: Tony Hughes]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Ian,

Tony

I didn't know I had a clinic--but at my age I seem to spend more time in them than I wish. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online