SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#326064 - 06/07/11 10:28 AM Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've received email/PM questions from a couple of people asking what the new Korg PA3X Chord Sequencer feature is about,
and what (if any) benefits it actually offers the arranger player. First of all, here's how it works:

The PA3X's chord sequencer gives us the ability to record a chord progression while performing in 'auto accompaniment arranger mode' on-the-fly,
and then having the recorded auto accompaniment chord progression loop, freeing up our fingers to play the keyboard freely,
without requiring us to play limited restricted chord voicing in order to trigger correct auto accompaniment chords.

Two distinct advantages of having a chord sequencer are:

1) Ability of Left Hand to (at any/all times) access pitch bend and mod wheels resulting in far more realistic & expressive RH instrumental soloing.

2) free up the ability to play more pianistic-ally, opening up the possibility for far more creative live play keyboard soloing possibilities,
without the fear of it adversely affecting the auto accompaniment chord recognition.

Here's just one example of utilizing the chord sequencer in an AABA song (8 bars each sec) played twice.

1) 1st A: play auto accomp mode.
2) 2nd A: play in auto accomp mode.
3) B Section: play in auto accomp mode
4) 3rd A: enable chord sequencer REC.
At end of 3rd A: Stop chord sequencer rec.
Chord sequencer (8 bar) loop playback automatically begins.
5) AA: Solo freely over the recorded auto accomp sequence.
6) B: Disengage the recorded auto accomp looped playback and play in auto accomp arranger mode again.
7) Final A: play in auto accomp mode.

I'm really anxious to get my hands on a Korg PA3X to try out the chord sequencer because I see a terrific live performance benefit to it,
as it promises to bring 'live play' arranger keyboard performance possibilities to a higher more professionally impressive sounding level.

I hope Korg produces & posts soon, a dedicated video to specifically demonstrate & showcase these important chord sequencer benefits. cool

#326072 - 06/07/11 12:40 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Or perhaps an owner might do such a thing?? wink

#326073 - 06/07/11 12:45 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Exactly, Dennis...looking forward to it. wink

Ian

#326074 - 06/07/11 12:47 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: ianmcnll]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
This is a feature I'd LOVE to have.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#326075 - 06/07/11 12:57 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

CS is useless for my needs playing live....when I see someone play live styles....switch to the CS...switch back to live play WITHOUT a glitch or miss a beat whatsoever I might be interested in it..If your playing in full KB mode why the need for the CS?

Edited by Dnj (06/07/11 01:00 PM)

#326080 - 06/07/11 01:31 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
This is a feature I'd LOVE to have.

Although I'm very used to pitch bending/modulating when in arranger mode, I can see the benefits of having the Chord Sequencer.

If I was used to having one, and my next keyboard did not, then I'd probably really miss it, but having done without, these many years, it certainly wouldn't be a deal maker or deal breaker.

BTW, Paul, I really enjoyed your two recorded pieces that Larry uploaded...exceptional playing, slick arranging, and the vocals were excellent.

Sorry for responding so late, but I had many Tyros4 clinics to do.

Ian

#326090 - 06/07/11 04:10 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Dnj
when I see someone play live styles....switch to the CS...switch back to live play WITHOUT a glitch or miss a beat whatsoever I might be interested in it

Donny,
from the early days when it was on my old Rolands, it always worked seamlessly ... you just push to start the seq, push to start playback ... so simple.

#326092 - 06/07/11 04:18 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian

Well Ian, if the OP deigns to explain dissin' me, and maybe even an apology...then this owner MAY consider doing just that.

Dennis

#326094 - 06/07/11 04:30 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By: Dnj
when I see someone play live styles....switch to the CS...switch back to live play WITHOUT a glitch or miss a beat whatsoever I might be interested in it

Donny,
from the early days when it was on my old Rolands, it always worked seamlessly ... you just push to start the seq, push to start playback ... so simple.

Dave I'm going by the CS that was on my Roland G1000..lets see if this one works better .......for me I'd rather see features like Ketron's "Lock" buttons - Drums, Bass and Chords. These lock buttons will lock the respective instruments to a particular part. Let's say you are on Arr. A and you put the Drum lock on. Then no matter what Arr. you go to the drums will still be on Arr. A. What is interesting is that even if you change styles the Drums will stay on the A of the new style.
The Bass and Chord lock buttons work exactly the same way.
These are powerful arranger KB features making styles so much more versatile.

#326103 - 06/07/11 06:44 PM Re: Korg PA3X: Chord Sequencer Feature Benefits ! [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian

Well Ian, if the OP deigns to explain dissin' me, and maybe even an apology...then this owner MAY consider doing just that.

Dennis

Dennis, all I can say is I heard no disrespectful words about you from the OP, who was doing his very best to help you with a new instrument.

If you felt you were disrespected, then you should take this up personally, and in private, with the OP, who, as far as I know, was not aware this was happening.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online