SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#323841 - 05/10/11 12:08 PM MIDI help needed - STILL !!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Hi all ... back in January I had posted that I needed some help for a music project I was working on and long story short, Bob Hendershot very generously sent me a midi cable ...

My friend and I started work on our project which has moved along quite well, and I found I didn't have the need to hook up a KB to my computer - until now ...

Being a real DUMMY about this midi/PC stuff, and having a couple of really important gigs coming up, I do not want to take any chances with hooking my kn6000 up to the PC via the midi cable, so I am attempting to hook up my kn1000 ...
I went to the site recommended by Bob http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=UM-1X and attempted to D/L the Edirol driver for Windows XP ... everything SEEMS to work ok with the D/L but I do not see the driver on my PC ... also, when I hook up the kn1000 via the midi cable I do not see anything that tells me a new piece of hardware has been connected ...

HELP !!! ANYONE?!?!? ... I need to know what I am doing wrong, what I need that I don't have, WHATEVER!!! ...

thnx in advance ...

#323851 - 05/10/11 03:26 PM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I hope someone else will field these questions. It's been too long for me to remember . . .

You've got the right site for downloading the driver, assuming you need one. I thought the UM-1 was plug and play with Windows XP.

I believe you may need to go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, to find the USB/midi interface. Then delete the USB UM-1 device and install the driver first. BUT, It's been so long that I would hope someone with better knowledge will step in.

There may be more folks at the General Arranger forum with up to date midi/PC knowledge.

#323852 - 05/10/11 03:44 PM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Tony

When you have downloaded the file and saved it to your computer, (Make sure you have the correct driver) double click on the file and follow the instructions to install it. Re-start your computer to make sure it has installed correctly.

When you open your music software program, go to the Midi settings and select the Edirol interface. You should now be able to use the interface as you want.

Hope this helps

Bill

#324042 - 05/12/11 09:01 AM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Tony - what you omit to say is why you want to connect your kn6000 to your PC irrespective of whether it is by using midi or anything else...please advise...

#324043 - 05/12/11 09:06 AM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
RMepstead Offline

Ok - I've read your January posting and read that you are using Notation Software on your PC.
If it was me I'd record my piece of music on my Technics keyboard across to my PC and save it as an MP3.
Then go to work with that MP3 in the Notation Software thus obviating any need for midi connections.

#324049 - 05/12/11 10:39 AM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
What kind of notation software will work with an MP3 ? Midi, perhaps.

#324053 - 05/12/11 12:08 PM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
RMepstead Offline

Doesn't it Bernie - I've no idea...just thought 'get all the stuff inside the PC and then deal with it all in there.

#324059 - 05/12/11 02:27 PM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
It depends on what you want to do with it once in the PC. In MP3 audio format, there is little one can do except raise and lower the pitch and speed.

With MIDI, however, notation programs like Notation Composer and even Power Trax can manipulate tracks and notation in a myriad of ways, as well as global paremeters.

The questions are:
1. Can the pertinent data be extracted in SMP format ?
2. What changes are needed ?

The other problem is to save the changes in the completed file in MIDI format so that the KN can read it and convert to Technics format.

Bernie

#324163 - 05/14/11 02:25 PM Re: MIDI help needed - STILL !!! [Re: Bernie9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
As I said on the GA page, sorry for not responding sooner ...
I was able to get everything working correctly ...
I believe Notation Software REQUIRES a MIDI file ... at least that is the only option I have seen thus far ...
I have recorded both from the KB to the PC, using ACID PRO 6, creating a wav file, converted that to MIDI, and then fed the MIDI into NOTATION ... I've also recorded into my Samson HD4 recorder which creates an mp3, and used that to convert to a MIDI file ...
Either way, everything seems to be working fine
Thanks for the responses ...

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online