SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#323692 - 05/08/11 10:32 AM Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I love this thing so far, but there is something that still eludes me. On everything I've ever had, you can switch performances (registrations) without altering the currently playing rhythm pattern (or style). I can't seem to lock out the command to change patterns on the BK. I can lock tempo, voice change and lots of others, but I want to be able to keep a pattern running and call up new sound combinations. Seems like old news for arrangers, right? Everything does this. What am I missing?

Every time I select a performance, a new (previously assigned) rhythm/style is selected. Hmmmmmm .... anyone?

#323696 - 05/08/11 10:42 AM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
On Yamaha there is a "Parameter Lock" page...does the BK-7M have it's equivalent but perhaps they call it something else?

Also there is a "Freeze" function (you probably know this since you had a PSR-3000), so there must be a similar function on the Roland, again, perhaps under a different name?

Ian

#323697 - 05/08/11 10:45 AM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Ian, yes to both, but the obvious named choice is missing. You cannot freeze or lock out anything called style or pattern. (scratches head) ...

#323698 - 05/08/11 10:54 AM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
That is a strange one...and something you'd probably find necessary, at least to some degree.

Well, with John being the new resident Roland Guru, I'm sure he's got a good handle on how to find those functions, and clear up this minor issue.

Appears to be a nice package, otherwise, Dave, and would certainly fit well with your present setup.

BTW, I reintroduced the volume pedal to my Tyros4...man, I don't know why I ever stopped using it years ago...perhaps because all arrangers had velocity sensitivity. But, it is nice to be able to alter the volume of a note after it's been played.

In regards to your situation, I'm sure John will have a solution...I can't see something that important left off.

Ian

#323699 - 05/08/11 11:02 AM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Dave try creating a custom user styles re save with a different name....sounds or ots are usually connected by default to.the styles.

#323700 - 05/08/11 11:14 AM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Donny, that won't work. I want the flexibility to change patterns on the fly and not have to worry about what is linked to what. If I'm in the middle of a dance number and just want to mix up the instruments - I can't have the pattern change on me while people are on the floor.

#323701 - 05/08/11 11:32 AM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dave

The setting is in the Arranger setting parameter menu under Tempo.

Hope this helps

Bill

#323703 - 05/08/11 12:07 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Sweentech1 Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK.
Sorry Dave,
I've been in the garden all day, so just got this. I don't think it can be done, though the tempo can be locked. Perhaps a suggestion for an OS upgrade? This is something I never use. I find performances so convenient, I use them for everything. I never use the exact same sounds for two songs. There are always at least a few tweaks here or there. However o remember the fuss when my HX came out. It lost the 'D' button and a lot of people weren't happy. So I guess like you there are many others who may want this feature.

I'll suggest it, but would suggest you contact Roland too. The last few strangers Roland have made have had good new features added through a softwRe upgrade, so now us the time to ask for what you want.

John

#323709 - 05/08/11 05:42 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Donny, that won't work. I want the flexibility to change patterns on the fly and not have to worry about what is linked to what. If I'm in the middle of a dance number and just want to mix up the instruments - I can't have the pattern change on me while people are on the floor.

Gotcha just trying to assist.....good luck figuring it all out!

#323717 - 05/08/11 07:36 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

OK - found a few answers, and a few still evade me.

#1 - Fran, you'll like this - if you load a song file (smf or audio) and start play, you can then go to the next one to be played and select it .... now if you need to cut the 1st one short, for some reason - you push the transport stop button (sync/start), and THEN the start/stop to begin the next song instantly. The buttons are right on top of each other - rather handy, although in most cases, you'll wait till the song is over and then the new song will load instantly.

#2 - It's a dream to have a style library so vast in one place ... OMG - you put things in folders, and they;re there for you when you need inspiration!

#3 - the song player works great, if you're not in a big rush. Your only access cursor is the data wheel, but there's an ipod-like "fast scroll" if you hold down a button. Works fine going from midi to audio in real time.

Now, the still puzzling things:

#1 - won't remember the new "default" or start up patch that I write. Also forgets expression settings and sometimes tempo settings (I like AUTO).

#2 - This MAY be a computer thing .... there are "ghost files" loaded on the usb stick that have a dot and underscore before the title, and these do not play. All the originals are in the same list, but you need to scroll past these "dead files" first. This may be a windows/Mac incompatibility ... I'm still checking on it.

#3 - I admit, I'm spoiled by the ease and quality of the Korg MP3 recorder, and I only tried this one twice, but both times - it was awful. The recording skipped and hiccuped during playback, just seconds after making the recording.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online