SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3231 - 10/14/07 05:26 AM Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
dben Offline

Loc: Okanagan Falls, BC Canada
I am using a PK-5 bass pedal board to trigger "One man band" software. I want to send the audio output of my laptop to a sound system on stage. The laptop headphone output is unusable as it is noisy and does not match the input impedance of stage sound system so I have to go with an external sound module or PCMCIA sound card. I don't want to spend more than $200.
Is PCMCIA, USB or firewire the way to go for lowest latency?
Which PCMCIA or sound module would you recommend? 1/4 output receptacles would be preferable.

#3232 - 10/14/07 06:39 AM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
http://www.behringer.com/FCA202/index.cfm?lang=eng

If the software you are using is doing the job you ask, then an audio interface bypassing the laptops internal sound card like the example above may sort you out. Not that expensive either.

#3233 - 10/14/07 06:02 PM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
dben Offline

Does anyone else have suggestions?

#3234 - 10/15/07 02:11 AM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have been searching for the best laptop sound for years, and have had many software and hardware modules. By far, this is the best. I bought two, one for my laptop, and one to play sounds directly from my keyboard.
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Ketron-SD2-S...2KETRONKIT.html

I found I didn't need two, and am willing to sell one at a good price. Email me if interested.

Bernie

#3235 - 10/15/07 09:16 AM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
dben Offline

There is no MIDI port on a laptop, so how do you get the sound to go from the laptop to the module?

#3236 - 10/15/07 09:46 AM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
dben Offline

I did some research and found that the SD2 comes with a USB to MIDI cable. I already have a MIDISPORT 2X2 so I guess that I could plug the the MIDI out of it to the MIDI of the SD2. Sorry about my last post Bernie.

#3237 - 10/15/07 09:49 AM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Interesting question. I would think any decent audio interface would work. I have the Lexicon Omega which is using USB 1.1 (or whatever the first USB is) and playing back tracks from Cubase play fine outof the Omega which is running into my sound system. But to be honest, I don't how to use it outside of cubase but I'd like to know if its possible as I'm starting to think about playing soft synths from my midi keyboard, into the laptop, out through the audio interface and into my sound system. I think what I described is basic.

Bob
<><

#3238 - 10/15/07 01:07 PM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Second that. Any decent audio interface will do the job. Issues with latency and such have more to do with audio drivers/configurations. I think even with USB 1.1 interfaces the limitation is something like 4 stereo outputs at 24 bit 96k so if you want to play a ton of tracks and soft synths (if your cPU permits) and run them through one or two stereo outputs almost any audio interface (USB or firewire) will do.

If you need to use lots of outputs (god knows why) and have to work at higher sample rates then invest in something USB 2.0 or even better firewire. ...But if not, then just go with what works. Save your money.

cheers,

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-15-2007).]

#3239 - 10/16/07 08:27 PM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
dben Offline

There was some noise coming from my laptop to the PA system and I found that it was being caused by a ground loop. I went to a 2 prong power plug and the noise disappeared! Won't need a sound module now as the sound coming from the laptop is adequate for my purpose.

------------------
Don Benoit
http://www.steelguitar.ca

#3240 - 10/17/07 12:06 PM Re: Best way to get good sound out of a laptop?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Also using outlets/lines for some audio gear that is also powering devices that have some sort of power contol on them like dimmer switches or motors and the like intoduces gound hum.
I played one club where whenever the toilet flushed a loud hum occured in the pa. The reason was the toilet pump was powered off the same power lines as the pa. It was very funny, because after the show got going it was obvious to all, but a few timesin the evening new folks would come in and go to the bathroom. When they came out, everyone knew they just flushed the toilet. We had some fun with that.

Bob
<><

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online