SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8454 - 11/24/07 01:13 AM Hit a bit of a wall
Niet Offline

Right now, I've got all the equipment I think I'll need, basically an old 76 key Ensoniq, which I've been using as a controller, and a microKorg for quick programming. This plus software synths means that I don't really have a limit physically with what I can do. I know enough about sound synthesis to generally be able to make or modify a patch to get close to what I want, but technique wise I have no clue where to go. I have a bit of classical keyboard training but I've found that helps very little when it comes to what I actually want to be able to do, basically nice sounding synth lead melodies in a kind of band setting. Any kind of help figuring out what direction I could go from here would be appreciated.

#8455 - 11/24/07 08:16 AM Re: Hit a bit of a wall
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi,

I recommend going back to your teacher or finding a new teacher to re-invigorate your playing. I also recommend studying Jazz piano and working on your improvisation skills and theory. This will supercharge your ability to play tasty leads. There are some great books out there, but I find you need the instruction to go along with the teaching material.

Good luck and I hope you take that advice.

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#8456 - 11/24/07 08:37 PM Re: Hit a bit of a wall
Niet Offline

Thanks kbrkr.
I have actually been looking into Jazz and improvisation, so its nice to know that I've been looking in the right general direction. My main problem really is making the leap from knowing scales and chords to sitting in front of a keyboard set to a couple detuned saws and making something that sounds nice.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online