SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#322890 - 04/26/11 01:35 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I'm sure the Atelier's weight will put off more than a few solo players, especially considering that a road case will add another bit of poundage as well.

After listening to the demos, I like the sound of the Hammond better, but then, the Atelier is an arranger where the SK2 is not.

Makes me glad I bought me a Tyros4...great organ sounds, light weight and awesome styles.

Ian

I don't think the T4 has the Guts & grit of the Hammond/Leslie Sim sound when I listen to Yamaha organs....as I did in these Sk-1 demos....as a previous b3 player years ago...I kinda miss the power of a 147 behind me ...no Yamaha arranger unit is ever gonna create that...theres a reason why the new units are trying to emulate the older ones...;)

#322892 - 04/26/11 01:59 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj

I don't think the T4 has the Guts & grit of the Hammond/Leslie Sim sound when I listen to Yamaha organs....as I did in these Sk-1 demos....as a previous b3 player years ago...I kinda miss the power of a 147 behind me ...no Yamaha arranger unit is ever gonna create that...theres a reason why the new units are trying to emulate the older ones...;)

Donny, I play a B-3 and Leslie at least once a week.

I have yet to play a clonewheel that duplicates what I feel and hear when I play the real Hammond.

Some come close, but even Hammond's own clones such as the XK series do not replicate it perfectly.

The closest I've played so far was a Hammond XK3c "system"...two manuals, pedal board, and played through a vintage Leslie 147.

The Tyros4 has great organ sounds...no better than any of the clones, but no worse either.

A buddy of mine takes one of the outputs of his Tyros3 and sends the organ flute sounds out to a real Leslie 122 with a preamp.

It sounds a tad more real, because the Leslie is actually moving air.

For my purposes, especially recording, the organs in the Tyros4 are fine...if I used organ sounds a lot, I'd probably do as the guy above with his T3, but for all intents and purposes, I'm very satisfied with what I get in the Tyros4.

As far as guts and grit, the ProgRockOrgan, WhiterBars, and AllBarsOut in the Tyros4 have plenty of both...they'll scream on the top notes, snarl in the middle, and growl and rumble at the bottom, and, they have lots of character...plus, there's the Organ Flutes drawbar section with it's choice of Leslies and effects...definitely enough to make me not have to need a real Hammond for the few times I use that type of sound on arranger gigs.

I will also add that since using the volume pedal I just bought, it's a lot more like playing an organ.

But I say again, nothing plays and feels exactly like the real thing...in my opinion, of course.

Ian

#322896 - 04/26/11 02:05 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Im glad you agree with me Ian.. smile

#322897 - 04/26/11 02:17 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Im glad you agree with me Ian.. smile

Of course I agree with you...you're right! grin

Are you considering one of these SK2's for gigging or for just playing at home?

I think the way they are set up is great, as the two manuals are so close together. That way you can reach a finger up/down to the other manual and play a melody line or phrase.

Having the extra sounds like piano, strings etc., is also a good idea.

I'd be curious to how flexible the midi control will be.

Ian

#322900 - 04/26/11 02:26 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'll sell my XK-1 if I can get my hands on one of those. The double manual would be perfect for me, but again we start getting into weight I can't handle anymore. Thanks Donny and everyone else for your opinions.

#322907 - 04/26/11 03:02 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Cassp, the double manual SK2 is 35 ¼ lb...a bit heavier than a Tyros4 (33 lbs).

Depending on the type of case, it might still be manageable?

Ian

#322910 - 04/26/11 03:06 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Suzuki are normally good with MIDI functionality, I can't imagine the SK series is any different. But...I still have not seen one for myself though so please don't quote me on!

#322916 - 04/26/11 04:09 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cassp
I'll sell my XK-1 if I can get my hands on one of those. The double manual would be perfect for me, but again we start getting into weight I can't handle anymore. Thanks Donny and everyone else for your opinions.

Cass let us know when you get a SK-1 ....comon you know you want one bad cool2 ... I hope to try one soon myself...15lbs Oh man I'm in heaven. dance

Edited by Dnj (04/26/11 04:10 PM)

#322919 - 04/26/11 04:29 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Cass let us know when you get a SK-1 ....comon you know you want one bad cool2 ... I hope to try one soon myself...15lbs Oh man I'm in heaven. dance

Donny, are you really interested in getting an SK1?

Would you use it along with your Yamaha PSR-S910, or have you also considered the Roland module to use with it?

Do you play that many organ based songs to need a instrument like the SK1?

Or, are you just like me, and you just want to try it and satisfy your curiosity?

Ian

PS...I sent a buddy of mine to your web site...he thought you sounded terrific and have a great voice...of course, we here at SZ already knew that. wink

#322922 - 04/26/11 04:36 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Keyboard mag says the Numa out shines the SK1..

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online