Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs !

Posted by: Dnj

Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 08:33 AM

http://www.hammondorganco.com/index.php?...&Itemid=159

http://www.hammondorganco.com/index.php?...&Itemid=158

$1999.00 US
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 09:02 AM

Hope Tony Monaco and the Hammond people are at Summer NAMM. I'd like to see the two manual one!

R.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Hope Tony Monaco and the Hammond people are at Summer NAMM. I'd like to see the two manual one!
R.

Say hello to Tony for me Russ.......I know the Sk-2 will good in your office wink
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 09:06 AM

Nice find Donny!

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Nice find Donny!

I'm dyin' to play one Al.....15 lbs? OMG smile....
Sk1, Laptop, Small Mixer & Two Powered Mackies..Yea!
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 10:11 AM

I sent info on the Hammond SK1/2 to Chas via PM several days ago, thinking it might not be applicable for an arranger forum, but now that I've thought about it, it sure would be a great rig with the Roland BK-7m module.

Good find, Donny.

Of course, Roland (Atelier) has their own dual manual "portable" organ with styles.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1140&ParentId=80

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 10:13 AM

Just create your Mp3 custom made backing tracks with your arranger KB...put them on a Thumb Drive, stick it in the Sk1 & off ya go. The sound is awesome, the price is right, I think Hammond has a winner here.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 10:21 AM

I think the biggest drawback (pun intended) for the SK2, and something that would concern Hammond players, is that it only has one set of drawbars.

It's a great instrument if that doesn't concern you, but several Hammond players I talked with thought that was an oversight.

Notice the Atelier above has the requisite two sets of drawbars.

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I think the biggest drawback (pun intended) for the SK2, and something that would concern Hammond players, is that it only has one set of drawbars.

It's a great instrument if that doesn't concern you, but several Hammond players I talked with thought that was an oversight.

Notice the Atelier above has the requisite two sets of drawbars.

Ian

Atelier Weight YIKES!
25.5 kg
56 lbs. 4 oz.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 10:55 AM

I'm sure the Atelier's weight will put off more than a few solo players, especially considering that a road case will add another bit of poundage as well.

After listening to the demos, I like the sound of the Hammond better, but then, the Atelier is an arranger where the SK2 is not.

Makes me glad I bought me a Tyros4...great organ sounds, light weight and awesome styles.

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I'm sure the Atelier's weight will put off more than a few solo players, especially considering that a road case will add another bit of poundage as well.

After listening to the demos, I like the sound of the Hammond better, but then, the Atelier is an arranger where the SK2 is not.

Makes me glad I bought me a Tyros4...great organ sounds, light weight and awesome styles.

Ian

I don't think the T4 has the Guts & grit of the Hammond/Leslie Sim sound when I listen to Yamaha organs....as I did in these Sk-1 demos....as a previous b3 player years ago...I kinda miss the power of a 147 behind me ...no Yamaha arranger unit is ever gonna create that...theres a reason why the new units are trying to emulate the older ones...;)

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I don't think the T4 has the Guts & grit of the Hammond/Leslie Sim sound when I listen to Yamaha organs....as I did in these Sk-1 demos....as a previous b3 player years ago...I kinda miss the power of a 147 behind me ...no Yamaha arranger unit is ever gonna create that...theres a reason why the new units are trying to emulate the older ones...;)

Donny, I play a B-3 and Leslie at least once a week.

I have yet to play a clonewheel that duplicates what I feel and hear when I play the real Hammond.

Some come close, but even Hammond's own clones such as the XK series do not replicate it perfectly.

The closest I've played so far was a Hammond XK3c "system"...two manuals, pedal board, and played through a vintage Leslie 147.

The Tyros4 has great organ sounds...no better than any of the clones, but no worse either.

A buddy of mine takes one of the outputs of his Tyros3 and sends the organ flute sounds out to a real Leslie 122 with a preamp.

It sounds a tad more real, because the Leslie is actually moving air.

For my purposes, especially recording, the organs in the Tyros4 are fine...if I used organ sounds a lot, I'd probably do as the guy above with his T3, but for all intents and purposes, I'm very satisfied with what I get in the Tyros4.

As far as guts and grit, the ProgRockOrgan, WhiterBars, and AllBarsOut in the Tyros4 have plenty of both...they'll scream on the top notes, snarl in the middle, and growl and rumble at the bottom, and, they have lots of character...plus, there's the Organ Flutes drawbar section with it's choice of Leslies and effects...definitely enough to make me not have to need a real Hammond for the few times I use that type of sound on arranger gigs.

I will also add that since using the volume pedal I just bought, it's a lot more like playing an organ.

But I say again, nothing plays and feels exactly like the real thing...in my opinion, of course.

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 02:05 PM

Im glad you agree with me Ian.. smile

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 02:17 PM

Im glad you agree with me Ian.. smile

Of course I agree with you...you're right! grin

Are you considering one of these SK2's for gigging or for just playing at home?

I think the way they are set up is great, as the two manuals are so close together. That way you can reach a finger up/down to the other manual and play a melody line or phrase.

Having the extra sounds like piano, strings etc., is also a good idea.

I'd be curious to how flexible the midi control will be.

Ian
Posted by: cassp

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 02:26 PM

I'll sell my XK-1 if I can get my hands on one of those. The double manual would be perfect for me, but again we start getting into weight I can't handle anymore. Thanks Donny and everyone else for your opinions.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 03:02 PM

Cassp, the double manual SK2 is 35 ¼ lb...a bit heavier than a Tyros4 (33 lbs).

Depending on the type of case, it might still be manageable?

Ian
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 03:06 PM

Suzuki are normally good with MIDI functionality, I can't imagine the SK series is any different. But...I still have not seen one for myself though so please don't quote me on!

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: cassp
I'll sell my XK-1 if I can get my hands on one of those. The double manual would be perfect for me, but again we start getting into weight I can't handle anymore. Thanks Donny and everyone else for your opinions.

Cass let us know when you get a SK-1 ....comon you know you want one bad cool2 ... I hope to try one soon myself...15lbs Oh man I'm in heaven. dance

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 04:29 PM

Cass let us know when you get a SK-1 ....comon you know you want one bad cool2 ... I hope to try one soon myself...15lbs Oh man I'm in heaven. dance

Donny, are you really interested in getting an SK1?

Would you use it along with your Yamaha PSR-S910, or have you also considered the Roland module to use with it?

Do you play that many organ based songs to need a instrument like the SK1?

Or, are you just like me, and you just want to try it and satisfy your curiosity?

Ian

PS...I sent a buddy of mine to your web site...he thought you sounded terrific and have a great voice...of course, we here at SZ already knew that. wink
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 04:36 PM

Keyboard mag says the Numa out shines the SK1..

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Keyboard mag says the Numa out shines the SK1..

Fran,

How do they compare price-wise...especially the dual manual?

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 04:47 PM

Fran...As if I would ever believe a mag review Ppppplllleeeeease....
after I play one I'll determine if it's good or not.

Ian, Nope, wouldn't use it with the S910 on stage no need for that.....If I was playing with a band yea why not no need for styles ..but, since I sold all my gear recently except what I use to gig with I'm in the process of perusing what's out there and hopefully in the next few years restructure my room to include some up to date units that can all compliment each other for my recording & playing enjoyment needs such as the Sk-1, Kronos, & hopefully things that aren't even released yet. Times are changing fast.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 04:58 PM

Keyboard mag also stated the Tyros4 was the best current model...now I don't trust them either grin

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Keyboard mag also stated the Tyros4 was the best current model...now I don't trust them either grin

You're all heart!

Ian
Posted by: cassp

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 05:04 PM

The SK-1 is listed at $1999 MSRP and the SK-2 is selling at $2890. If I never played it out, it would still be a great buy to have and keep in my music room. But I could use my SMFs which are about 80% of my job and I could easily go with a BK or use my trusty SR16. I already have PK-5a pedals, so I'd be back in organ heaven, especially with all the extra instruments available too. That lower keyboard is very tempting...

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: cassp
The SK-1 is listed at $1999 MSRP and the SK-2 is selling at $2890. If I never played it out, it would still be a great buy to have and keep in my music room. But I could use my SMFs which are about 80% of my job and I could easily go with a BK or use my trusty SR16. I already have PK-5a pedals, so I'd be back in organ heaven, especially with all the extra instruments available too. That lower keyboard is very tempting...

Chas record all your Smf to Mp3 and put them on a thumbdrive...put it in the Sk-1 and your all set. Use a Lt for lyrics if needed. the other 20% record style backing tracks on your arranger and do the same.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 06:50 PM

I think you meant "Cass".

chas

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: cgiles
I think you meant "Cass".

chas

I told him to have his eyes checked smile

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/26/11 07:21 PM

Cass,......but of course..I stand corrected.....

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 04:04 AM

He just can't get me out of his mind smile smile smile .

chas
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 06:44 AM

I can't figure out why you guys are all drooling over this. You know you could run a Casio WK7500 through a 147 Leslie or Ventilator and have the same thing plus all the extras. The organs on the Casio are really quite good.

Tom

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 07:07 AM

He just can't get me out of his mind smile smile smile .

chas

isn't that a song? Hmmmmmm? wink
Posted by: DonM

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 09:16 AM

Chas, you using that profile picture because your real one looks so scary? smile
DonM

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 09:23 AM

Don, I know Chas-met him in Atlanta for lunch. That IS is real Photo.

Be afraid-be VERY afraid!

Russ

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 09:46 AM

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-595660?ref=feeds/latest

Filmed in Hammond Suzuki Deutschland Headquarters Karlstrasse 38
D-89129 Langenau Germany on April 19th 2011

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Chas, you using that profile picture because your real one looks so scary? smile
DonM

That's the reason. I decided to go with something that represented my personality rather than my looks. It's like Tony Hughes says (paraphrase), with all the handsome lads here, we don't dare post our old, ugly, decrepit-looking mugs on here. Of course, now that Fran has led the way........who knows? Perhaps, later. Kidding, Fran......you're a handsome lad too smile .

chas

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
DonM

That's the reason. I decided to go with something that represented my personality rather than my looks. It's like Tony Hughes says (paraphrase), with all the handsome lads here, we don't dare post our old, ugly, decrepit-looking mugs on here. Of course, now that Fran has led the way........who knows? Perhaps, later. Kidding, Fran......you're a handsome lad too smile .

chas

We even know what Diki & Russ looks like wink

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 01:24 PM

Jon Hammond kickin' it on the road with the Sk-1

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 01:27 PM

I still don't know why that's so important to you (like always bringing up Hammonds or Nord C1's, when you don't play either). Are you just trying to get a rise out of me? Tell you what. You can ask Fran what I look like after we have lunch.

chas

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 01:44 PM

I still don't know why that's so important to you (like always bringing up Hammonds or Nord C1's, when you don't play either). Are you just trying to get a rise out of me? Tell you what. You can ask Fran what I look like after we have lunch.

chas

Chas calm down dude...If you don't wanna post your pic no big deal...Although it would be nice to see who I'm talking to...but personally I could care less.....also..what I like or play at this time or in the past shouldn't bother you either...let's just go back not talking to each other it's more peaceful that way ok? have a nice day.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
I can't figure out why you guys are all drooling over this. You know you could run a Casio WK7500 through a 147 Leslie or Ventilator and have the same thing plus all the extras. The organs on the Casio are really quite good.

Tom

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 02:35 PM

It Weighs Only 15 Pounds

Your eyes see "PORTABLE"

Your ears hear and your touch says - B-3

Throw The Organ Dollies Away

Easy To Move To The Gig

What The Cats Have Been Waiting For ! dance2

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 02:39 PM

Tom

You must lovethat Casio, Tom. wink

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 03:41 PM

Ian,

I don't love Casio. It is just that there are so many Hammond clones out there and they are all pretty good. The only one I don't like is my G70. The organs on it for the most part suck. I'd bet if we blindfolded you droolers and did a hearing test of the clones you'd be wrong as often as you'd be right. Same if you put the clones through a 147 and compare it to a real B3. At least the B3 debate gives you drollers something to talk about. The forum has been way too calm lately anyway. wink

Tom

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 04:26 PM

Ian,

I don't love Casio. It is just that there are so many Hammond clones out there and they are all pretty good. The only one I don't like is my G70. The organs on it for the most part suck. I'd bet if we blindfolded you droolers and did a hearing test of the clones you'd be wrong as often as you'd be right. Same if you put the clones through a 147 and compare it to a real B3. At least the B3 debate gives you drollers something to talk about. The forum has been way too calm lately anyway. wink

Tom

I don't have to drool, my friend...I am very fortunate to be able to play a real Hammond B-3 with Leslie a few times a week with a bunch of R&B players.

You are right about the clones...I believe very few of us could tell some of them apart, especially when put through a Leslie.

I'm very happy with the Tyros4's organ sounds for arranger playing. I personally thought the G-70 had great organ sounds...aren't they based on the VK organ?

If I was to do the R&B band thing again, I'd probably get an XK3c system...but the SK2 might do the job for far less moolah...and I'd forgo the Leslie, as the rotary sim would be fine for me....I'm not that much of a purist, although two perfectly spaced manuals, and real drawbars would be necessary.

In any case, I'm looking forward to trying the SK2 out, and it appears there are quite a few who feel the same way.

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 05:50 PM

Ian,

Knock yourself out. I'm an old organ player myself and I cut my teeth on a B3. In my younger days when I was strong and stupid, I hauled around a M and 147 for gigging. I actually liked the model H a little better than the B. I had to haul a trailer to the gigs even in the Michigan winter. I also love that sound but not enough to do that anymore. All the arrangers have organs that are good enough givin the alternative. I don't like the Leslie sim on the G70. Givin the weight of the G70 I'm thinking of the s910. How are the organs on it? I've been told that after a certain distance away from a Leslie that a sim sounds just as good. I find that hard to believe though.

On a different note, I'd love to get to the Maritime Provinces sometime in my life. I have friends that came here from PEI.

Tom

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 06:32 PM

Ian,

Knock yourself out. I'm an old organ player myself and I cut my teeth on a B3. In my younger days when I was strong and stupid, I hauled around a M and 147 for gigging. I actually liked the model H a little better than the B. I had to haul a trailer to the gigs even in the Michigan winter. I also love that sound but not enough to do that anymore. All the arrangers have organs that are good enough givin the alternative. I don't like the Leslie sim on the G70. Givin the weight of the G70 I'm thinking of the s910. How are the organs on it? I've been told that after a certain distance away from a Leslie that a sim sounds just as good. I find that hard to believe though.

On a different note, I'd love to get to the Maritime Provinces sometime in my life. I have friends that came here from PEI.

Tom

I had a B-3 with two Leslie 147RV for many years...I had a 57 Chev Suburban V8 with Hydramatic, that I used to haul it around in...of course, it was only because I was in a band and I had help lugging it...certainly couldn't do solo gigs. I had an M-3 for a short while, before I got the B-3, but the reason I got the latter, was because the former's 44 note manuals were just too short.

The organs in the S910 are pretty good...the SA Jazz Rotary and SA Rock Rotary were my favorites, as well as the drawbar based organs (although there were only buttons up/down)...the Tyros4 has sliders which are really nice. The sim is very good, but certainly not up to Ventilator, or even the XK3 (non C).

I very nearly bought the S910, but got a great deal on the Tyros4, plus, I just fell in love with the sound.

My recently retired Yamaha boss and his wife were from PEI, and my step brother lives there as well, just outside Charlottetown...I've done lots of clinics on the island...it's a lovely place in the summer, but can be brutal in the winter.

The sim, through a PA sounds like a mic'd Leslie, so having the real deal isn't necessary, at least for me...and, it's heavy.

After carrying around a G-70, the PSR-S910 will feel like it's made out of balsa wood...are you sure you wouldn't miss the 76 note keyboard? One thing for certain, the Yamaha support network, as in forums and third party help, is hard to beat.

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 11:23 PM

II've been told that after a certain distance away from a Leslie that a sim sounds just as good. I find that hard to believe though.

Tom

Hi Tom. If the Leslie Sim is very good(and only a handfull are) and it is used correctly then from an audiences point of view they will not know the difference between the sim and a miked up leslie. However you have to do it properly.

Almost everyone makes the mistake of using the full stereo image for the Leslie Sim. The Hammonds sim (which, like 99% of sims including the ventilator) is two dimensional - in other words shifts from left to right) it is vital to run the sim through a mixer, take a look at the position of the keys on stage and then 'pan' the left and right channel to that point.

The only exception afaik is the KeyB which uses a 3D image and sounds fine just DI'd straight into the PA or through a Stereo keyboard amp in your living room. However for recording purposes it still might be best to place it 'somewhere' in your stereo image rather than taking up both channels fully.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/27/11 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude

Almost everyone makes the mistake of using the full stereo image for the Leslie Sim. The Hammonds sim (which, like 99% of sims including the ventilator) is two dimensional - in other words shifts from left to right) it is vital to run the sim through a mixer, take a look at the position of the keys on stage and then 'pan' the left and right channel to that point.

Now, that is a good idea. Thanks TWD, I didn't know about "panning" the sim channel in regards to where the keyboard is located.

I learn something new every day.

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/28/11 06:21 AM

Ian,

Can you save the drawbar settings as user voices on the 910 and then assign them to an OTS?

Tom

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/28/11 06:41 AM

Ian,

Can you save the drawbar settings as user voices on the 910 and then assign them to an OTS?

Tom

I don't have the S910 here, Tom, but I'm sure it works the same as the Tyros4.

You don't have to save the drawbar settings as a User Voice...you can save them directly to the One Touch Setting.

But, if you wish, you can do a footage/attack/effects/ setting on the Drawbars, save it as a Organ Flutes User Voice, and then save to OTS.

Either way works fine.

Ian

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/28/11 06:51 AM

Thanks Ian!

Tom

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/28/11 10:18 AM

Just ordered one.

Don't know delivery time yet. I'll use it for single keyboard "quickies". Mainly, just want a new toy!

R.

Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! - 04/29/11 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Just ordered one.

Don't know delivery time yet. I'll use it for single keyboard "quickies". Mainly, just want a new toy!

R.

Good luck Russ...please keep us posted after you get to play one, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the SK1.