SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#321651 - 04/12/11 06:16 PM Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? [Re: FransN]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm happy with the Tyros4 as it is.

Plenty of awesome sounds and styles...I'm still exploring.

Where I have my fun (as I do with all of the Yamaha arrangers), is customizing the styles and OTS to let me put my own stamp on the music I play.

I guess it's human nature to want more, but, I must say, so far I'm more than satisfied with the basic Tyros4 without any frills.

The SA/SA2 sounds are mind-blowers, and the SA Organs are are close enough to a real B-3 (and I play a real B-3) to keep me very satisfied for some time to come.

I'm glad I spent my savings on a Tyros4...I'm broke...but, I'm happy. grin

Ian

#321678 - 04/13/11 02:59 AM Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? [Re: kbrkr]
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Originally Posted By: kbrkr

Oh sweet Lord... They're actually charging money for that?

#321679 - 04/13/11 03:09 AM Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? [Re: Burkels]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Burkels

Oh sweet Lord... They're actually charging money for that?

Ha Ha...the money they collect is for therapy for the yodeler. grin

You don't yodel, Burkels? wink

Do the Dutch have their own version of yodeling?

Here in Cape Breton, yodeling only occurs after striking one's thumb with a hammer.

Ian

#321684 - 04/13/11 04:59 AM Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? [Re: ianmcnll]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I challenge everyone to show me another manufacturer besides Yamaha who is adding more value to their arranger line by adding NEW Styles, NEW Multi-Pads, NEW Registrations,and NEW VOICES?

Laugh all you want, but it is a very cozy marriage; Yamaha is making money, and their customers are reaping the rewards of having more expandability options.

Is Ketron doing this? NOPE
Is Korg doing this? NOPE
Is Roland doing this? NOPE
Is Lionstracs doing this? NOPE
Is Casio doing this? NOPE

If they were, I'd probably have one of those manufacturers products in my studio.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#321685 - 04/13/11 05:11 AM Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? [Re: john smies]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
thats exactly the point kbrkr ! yamaha are the only manufacturer that help extend the life of your original arranger. Styles and high quality sounds are the life blood of any arranger . Yamaha understand this and execute exceptionally well. If they could catch up with korg in terms of full workstation capabilities they would completely dominate arranger sales.

#321694 - 04/13/11 06:09 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
ianmcnll Offline

I agree with Al and Spalding...styles and high quality sounds are the life blood of any arranger, and it's really cool to see Yamaha provide these fresh new sounds and styles to their customers.

When you see what happening with other companies, some even dropping their keyboard arrangers altogether, it is very heartening to see Yamaha adding more value and keeping their customers happy.

That said wink , I'd love to hear Burkels yodeling. crazy

Ian

#321698 - 04/13/11 07:00 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I must be a different animal....none of the things you guys consider to be the "lifeline" are that important to me smile

I want a keyboard that works well on stage, a keyboard that can edit on the fly...a keyboard with a selected group of say 20-30 styles that are of high quality(..Can't use hundreds or thousands)..but if I did need them I have thousands on board. grin

I don't need or want a bunch of registrations, or one touch settings..or pads..

I want a keyboard that handles less..best..a keyboard that easily goes into a player mode...that is a drum style , left hand bass, piano, and a color sound...A keyboard with quality sounds, a handful of bread and butter sounds...I want a keyboard that handles and plays SMF's, more so than just style play ...one with markers and covers..

I already have this and there is no need to look to the future, my gear will still be doing this 5-10 years from now....just as well s it does now..

I guess I am saying I am already content, but for different reasons than you guys.. smile

#321699 - 04/13/11 08:29 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I must be a different animal....none of the things you guys consider to be the "lifeline" are that important to me smile

I want a keyboard that works well on stage, a keyboard that can edit on the fly...a keyboard with a selected group of say 20-30 styles that are of high quality(..Can't use hundreds or thousands)..but if I did need them I have thousands on board. grin

I don't need or want a bunch of registrations, or one touch settings..or pads..

I already have this and there is no need to look to the future, my gear will still be doing this 5-10 years from now....just as well s it does now..

I guess I am saying I am already content, but for different reasons than you guys.. smile

Wow! Fran, that is a wonderful endorsement for the G-70.

I feel the same way about my Tyros4.

I wouldn't say you're a "different animal"...most of us want, and have, the same features that you enjoy with your G-70.

Considering it's age, it is still a viable arranger, and I'm sure you'll get many more years out of it...it's built like a tank, and will stand up to lots of use.

Having registrations, Pads, and One Touch Settings isn't necessary, I suppose, but I am very glad that Yamaha arrangers feature them because it makes performing go much more smoother (in my opinion), but I'm sure, if I had a G-70 and had to perform without them, I'd have no trouble getting by.

Kudos to you for sticking by "old faithful" and candidly sharing your reasons for doing so.

The other thing about using the G-70, is that you know it so well...you are probably the most knowledgeable person on SZ in regards to the G-70, and that familiarity and degree of expertness translate into the instrument giving you and your audience the best possible sound and performance.

Roland should hire you as a promoter for their new product (really, they should), the BK-7m, which, on the whole, appears to have a tad more detail in the styles than earlier Roland arrangers, but would easily be a product you could showcase to it's best advantage.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Fran.

Ian

#321706 - 04/13/11 09:39 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: Fran Carango]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Fran, I see your point and agree somewhat.

I'm not really focusing on the Styles only per se, but on the overall added value. As a SMF user, I'm sure you would appreciate all thew NEW MIDI files Yamaha releases on it's site. Not to mention styles that are targeted to current music. And some really cool voices. Even though I don't use them all, it is very comforting to know after sale support is alive and well.

Are you saying you rather purchase a keyboard from a manufacturer who does not support or add value, but rather buy a keyboard from a closed-ended product line?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#321719 - 04/13/11 11:03 AM Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? [Re: kbrkr]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I challenge everyone to show me another manufacturer besides Yamaha who is adding more value to their arranger line by adding NEW Styles, NEW Multi-Pads, NEW Registrations,and NEW VOICES?

Laugh all you want, but it is a very cozy marriage; Yamaha is making money, and their customers are reaping the rewards of having more expandability options.

Is Ketron doing this? NOPE
Is Korg doing this? NOPE
Is Roland doing this? NOPE
Is Lionstracs doing this? NOPE
Is Casio doing this? NOPE

If they were, I'd probably have one of those manufacturers products in my studio.

If you have a keyboard that can load external sounds (Akai, VSTi etc.) you have a lot more sounds available than Yamaha provide for their instruments. (Remember Akai & VSTi are used in studios and in films)

If you have a computer based keyboard, new features etc. can be constantly added without needing to buy a new keyboard to get them.

Wersi currently has 16 Sound/Style/Pre-set option packs for its OAS 7 instruments, with many more available from 3rd party suppliers. (Including Pemo)

If you have the OAA option (Standard on new instruments) you can also directly play Yamaha styles (No conversion takes place) up to Tyros 2, thus you have access to most of the available Yamaha style library as well. (Yamaha styles are not really my cup of tea though)

So there you have it, Yamaha is not the only manufacture supporting their customer with expansions. (And don’t forget that most Korg keyboards can also load Akai samples as well)

Another advantage for any keyboard that can load external sounds beyond what the manufacture supplies is that you can buy what you want, rather than having to hope the manufacture will provide them.

Bill

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online