SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#319800 - 03/21/11 02:01 PM Re: Hi there! [Re: Tostie]
Tostie Offline

Thank you all for the nice compliments! You made me blush :-)

Concerning the 61/76 key discussion, i still miss the Roland Fantom-G8 piano keys (feel, space & action), but buying an 88 key midicontroller is an easy solution for this 'problem'.

Best Regards,

Joost

#319802 - 03/21/11 02:59 PM Re: Hi there! [Re: Tostie]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tostie
Thank you all for the nice compliments! You made me blush :-)

Concerning the 61/76 key discussion, i still miss the Roland Fantom-G8 piano keys (feel, space & action), but buying an 88 key midicontroller is an easy solution for this 'problem'.

Best Regards,

Joost

Simply outstanding!! I enjoyed your playing, very impressive being able to approach the Tyros and playing it like a piano.

And how about that you have a simple solution to the lack of 88 keys......an 88 key controller. Keep up the terrific playing.

#319826 - 03/21/11 06:15 PM Re: Hi there! [Re: Diki]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Diki
Look guys... I've NEVER said I can't WORK with 61. Just, when there's an option, I prefer a larger size. It just seems like there's a lot of tap dancing to excuse Yamaha for NOT offering the option.

Yamaha Clavinova CVP 509:

A traditional piano player would ideally want 88 notes, plus fully weighted 'hammer action' keys to boot. The 88 note Yamaha CVP 509, of which incorporates Tyros 3 level SA voices and auto accomp features satisfies the full 88 note requirement, and the CVP 609, due out later this year will incorporate Tyros 4 level SA voices and styles, so the choice is already available soon for folks who want a full 88 note range Tyros keyboard. Owning and playing a Steinway B Grand as well, I approach playing the arranger as a totally different instrument from a trad piano, so find 61 notes a nice balance to afford portability ease. Even if 76 notes could be accommodated in Tyros 4, it would probably add 8-10+ lbs more to its weight. I prefer the flexible option of simply taking along a 76/88 note keyboard controller on the those rarer occasions I'm required to play my Tyros 4 primarily as a solo piano. For arranger mode playing though, and as Joost clearly demonstrated, I find 61 notes quite adequate for that playing style. Don't forget, like an accordion isn't an organ, neither is a portable arranger keyboard an acoustic piano. They are each different unique instruments in their own right, so I approach playing each of them differently. cool

#319830 - 03/21/11 10:16 PM Re: Hi there! [Re: Tostie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The CVP's have always trailed the Tyros line by quite a bit. I doubt very much the 509 will be a complete substitute for a T4. Might have a FEW T4 voices, but if it is an equivalent, it will be the first time Yamaha has done this.

And, it STILL doesn't address the 76 size, which is the preferred size for MANY arranger players and keyboard players in general all over the world. Even Yamaha offer all their WS lines at a 76 size. Roland have already shown that a full 76 WITH speakers and a decent keybed can be made at well under the weight of even a 61 T4, in fact barely a couple of pounds heavier than an S910!

And, I'm sorry, but a keyboard is a keyboard is a keyboard. There is no intrinsic reason why an arranger has to be any different in size (as Yamaha's CVP's show - you can't have it BOTH ways!) from any other keyboard. Sure, you bottleneck yourself into an arbitrary decision on how you can and cannot use an 'arranger', and you can get by with a restricted choice of notes. But ask yourself this... You CAN just about get by playing piano on a wooden 76. Most pre-Beethoven fits, and most pop could easily be done on it. But would you WANT to? Even if that was the only size Yamaha (or Steinway, in your case!) offered?

You'll see many good arranger and general keyboard players (many of us, contrary to what you might think, play arranger AND band gigs) playing 76 note arrangers when the option is offered. It's just SO easy to dismiss an option you don't even have. But, were Yamaha to do what everyone else does, and offer the damn plastic 76, I guarantee you would find the decision MUCH harder to make...

The robust sales of 76 plastics in the WS world shows that things are not as cut and dried as you would like them to be. There is a VERY legitimate size option in the 76 plastic, offering MANY advantages over both 61 and 88 woods. It's just sad that Yamaha users are denied the opportunity to make the same decision that other manufacturers allow us.

#319832 - 03/21/11 10:36 PM Re: Hi there! [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
The CVP's have always trailed the Tyros line by quite a bit. I doubt very much the 509 will be a complete substitute for a T4. Might have a FEW T4 voices, but if it is an equivalent, it will be the first time Yamaha has done this.

And, it STILL doesn't address the 76 size, which is the preferred size for MANY arranger players and keyboard players in general all over the world. Even Yamaha offer all their WS lines at a 76 size. Roland have already shown that a full 76 WITH speakers and a decent keybed can be made at well under the weight of even a 61 T4, in fact barely a couple of pounds heavier than an S910!

And, I'm sorry, but a keyboard is a keyboard is a keyboard. There is no intrinsic reason why an arranger has to be any different in size (as Yamaha's CVP's show - you can't have it BOTH ways!) from any other keyboard. Sure, you bottleneck yourself into an arbitrary decision on how you can and cannot use an 'arranger', and you can get by with a restricted choice of notes. But ask yourself this... You CAN just about get by playing piano on a wooden 76. Most pre-Beethoven fits, and most pop could easily be done on it. But would you WANT to? Even if that was the only size Yamaha (or Steinway, in your case!) offered?

You'll see many good arranger and general keyboard players (many of us, contrary to what you might think, play arranger AND band gigs) playing 76 note arrangers when the option is offered. It's just SO easy to dismiss an option you don't even have. But, were Yamaha to do what everyone else does, and offer the damn plastic 76, I guarantee you would find the decision MUCH harder to make...

The robust sales of 76 plastics in the WS world shows that things are not as cut and dried as you would like them to be. There is a VERY legitimate size option in the 76 plastic, offering MANY advantages over both 61 and 88 woods. It's just sad that Yamaha users are denied the opportunity to make the same decision that other manufacturers allow us.

Diki,

I went it our local music shack yesterday and there were two prof KB players in there, I put it to them about this 76 /61 KBs and frankly they don't give a toss, when I told them about you and your views on the subject they just could not understand, they would both glady play the T4 on stage in front of 1000s if thats what paid the water, gas and electric bill and if 76 note kb died tommorrow, so what! The only thing they did say " we need bigger speaker than supplied with the T4".

Edited by Tony Hughes (03/21/11 10:37 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#319835 - 03/21/11 11:54 PM Re: Hi there! [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

I went it our local music shack yesterday and there were two prof KB players in there, I put it to them about this 76 /61 KBs and frankly they don't give a toss, when I told them about you and your views on the subject they just could not understand, they would both glady play the T4 on stage in front of 1000s if thats what paid the water, gas and electric bill and if 76 note kb died tommorrow, so what! The only thing they did say " we need bigger speaker than supplied with the T4".

Tony, I have asked many professional (and advanced) players as well, and got the same answer you did.

The fact that many SZ'ers are playing and gigging with 61 keys, most (if not all) of them advanced and pro level players, should easily indicate that playing 61 notes is not only possible, but, in most cases, preferable.

Now, I would like to suggest that anyone wanting to debate this tired old, and no win, topic of 76 notes versus 61, please start a NEW TOPIC or NEW THREAD on the subject. I don't believe the original poster intended for this topic to become a debate. In fact, he offered his solution of using an 88 note weighted controller (not 76) if more notes had been needed.

If his intention was to start a debate 76 vs 61 keys, I stand corrected...if he did not, then let's carry on with comments on the posted music, which is what I believe was the original reason for posting.

Ian

#319836 - 03/22/11 12:47 AM Re: Hi there! [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
If his intention was to start a debate 76 vs 61 keys, I stand corrected...if he did not, then let's carry on with comments on the posted music, which is what I believe was the original reason for posting.
Ian

I totally agree with you there Ian. I am tired of the same old discussion over and over again that hijacks completely unrelated threads. Though to be fair it wasn't Diki that kicked off this tiresome tangent about keybed size he simply responded to a comment about it. Look back at the thread and you will see that. Enough said .... and I mean enough ... don't anyone bother replying to this issue cos I will simply delete it. stop

Though as far as the onboard speakers go, there really is a limit to how big and heavy they need to be. They aren't really intended for performance but are more for personal monitoring. If they do work for people for performing then that is great but most people will be running them into some sort of external PA system for live performances and don't want to have unecessary weight added to the keyboard.

#319838 - 03/22/11 01:30 AM Re: Hi there! [Re: Nigel]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Ian

I totally agree with you there Ian. I am tired of the same old discussion over and over again that hijacks completely unrelated threads. Though to be fair it wasn't Diki that kicked off this tiresome tangent about keybed size. Look back at the thread and you will see that. Enough said .... and I mean enough ... don't anyone bother replying to this issue cos I will simply delete it.

Though as far as the onboard speakers go, there really is a limit to how big and heavy they should be. They aren't really intended for performance but are more for personal monitoring.

Sorry Nigel and Ian,

Sometimes you just go with the flow and forget which thread your in when you are getitng old blah blah, this has such a good start to it, I won't lock horns anymore on this one and I don't know what the history is on it like others do, once again sorry, end of!

Regrads

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#319857 - 03/22/11 09:24 AM Re: Hi there! [Re: Tostie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm off it, too. I must say, I really DO appreciate someone finally noticing that I am not usually the instigator in these matters...

computer

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online