SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3190 - 10/02/03 07:36 AM Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay well I have taken the frist steps to owning a modular synthesizer. Sold off my ARP AXXE on Ebay. YEAH! One down two more too go. Once those are gone, I will be able to concetrate on organizeing my studio to make way for my new .com synth. I will finnly have the synthesizer that I have been looking for to allow me to get back into electronic music, and analog synthesis.

.com Plug! Okay well after a long hard search and going thorugh tons of other gaer I have finnaly settled on buying a modualr synthesizer from Synthesizers.com. Mainly becuse I have always loved modualr synths from my frist hearing of one on Switched on Bach. Ilove the sound that a modualr synth makes and that it is not like anything else. The real reason for going with a .com synth is because they are built just like the old Moog Modualr synths. Wood cabinets and lots of knobs and that warm sound they make.

If you have not herad of them or would like to learn more about them stop by the site at http://www.synthesizers.com and check them out.

Everything is done over the internet to keep the cost down. Plus there are no dealers, you buy direct from the Manufacturer. If you do buy one it will be well worth it.

#3191 - 10/02/03 11:42 AM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
tekminus Offline

You have a hard time spelling modular, don't you?

I'm curious, what else does your studio consist of? I mean recording and so on?

-tek

#3192 - 10/02/03 08:33 PM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes I do have a hard time spelling "modular". Damn lysdexia!

Well to tell the truth my studio has nothing in it at all. No Hard disk recorders, no mixers. I don't even have any virtual stuidos on my pc. I have absolutely nothing at all. All I have is my computer, a couple of powered monitor speakers by TEAC. My desk, a file cabinet and a bed. Plus two old analog synths (not being used).

So yes I lied, I don't have a studio I have an office. I don't have a lot of money so I can't spend it on anything for my studio, if I wanted one. The cost of buying a .com ssynth is going to cost me a bit, and that I will have nothing left over to spend on anything else.

So basicly when this is all done it will be the .com synth , PC and speakers. That's it!

#3193 - 10/02/03 09:02 PM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey Paul !
lisdexia - I think I dated her...

The word studio doesn't imply a room full of mixers, recorders and racks and racks of gear. A studio can mean "a place where you can create" or simply work.
And I think by getting a .com synth you'll get what you've always wanted - An instrument that you can create with. it doesn't matter whether you create sounds or music. It's all art.
Later!
ED

#3194 - 10/02/03 09:08 PM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm! Never thought of it that way. Thanks ED!

BTW I am going to hold off for a while on buying a .com synth. Need to save up some money. Maybe I will use my Tax Return towards the purchase.

#3195 - 10/02/03 09:51 PM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
3351 Offline

Tax return thing sounds like a plan - wise one too!
Well, I also have to wait for a few months.
With a bit of luck I'll be getting my .com synth in April. I simply can't afford one right now. Too many other things. You know - bills, rent, updates...and the lis goes on and on...
Right now the only thing that I can afford is novation supernova synth. $1000 canadian...
But I already found a spot for my QSS44 (cabinet) synth - in my living room.
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-02-2003).]

#3196 - 10/02/03 10:08 PM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks ED,

The Tax return will be good for me since I own my own home (condo). But I have bill's as well plus a mortgage and condo fees.

So you are going with a .com synth after all? See I told you they were good. April is about the time I would be able to get one myself.

#3197 - 10/02/03 10:21 PM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
3351 Offline

You were right!
They are good. I even like that the modules are very easy to install/remove. So far a decideed on six OSCs two filters and an extra multiples. But may be I'll start with the QSS22 base. It's got some great modules.
ED

#3198 - 10/02/03 10:51 PM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes the QSS22 is a good one to start with, since it is a good starter synth. It all ready comes with 22 modules and a power supply, plus patch cables and data sheets for each module. Then you can decide to expand, by buying a QSS 44 Cabinet and adding modules as you go.

What I also like about these synths is how the closely resemble the look and sound of the classic Moog Modualr synths from the late 60's and early 70's. Plaus this is waht a modualr synth is suoppose to look like. I have looked at the competion and they all fail in comparasion to the .coms. Many look to sterile and unfreindly. The .coms are like your best friend. Plus the look good too. I would rather have .com synth in a wooden cabinet then a competiors in a plastic or metal case. The .coms are just more friendly and inviteing to work with and play. And I think and this is just MPO, but I know I won't loose interest in one of these babies. You can't go wrong with a .com.

Oh I did print off a copy of the brochure on the systems.

Oops I seem to have gotten carried away. Oh well what can I save I love these synths and can't wait to finnaly own one.

#3199 - 10/03/03 01:46 AM Re: Cleaning House (cleaning my studio)
tekminus Offline

With a modular, all you need is a tape deck and you can record some great ambient. Just let one of the oscillators trigger the envelope(s) and it will play on its own. Then you just go mad on the knobs

-tek

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online