SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#319177 - 03/13/11 05:16 PM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I agree with Elizabeth, we do not need another site. This site is THE BEST and Nigel's dedication to it is second to none. Thanks to him it has always been friendly, courteous and most of all very informative. Other sites sometimes get very 'heated' and on the odd occasion when this has happened here, Nigel has always politely intervened to stop it going further.

I would hate to see it become yet another 'chat show' so by all means run your own site, but please! leave this very popular, much loved and long established Forum alone.

Audrey

#319247 - 03/14/11 01:46 PM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Tony Deaf]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Here's another one I've not heard of / found before http://www.keyboardforums.com/

#319259 - 03/14/11 04:18 PM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Audrey Turner]
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

Originally Posted By: Audrey Turner
'I agree with Elizabeth, we do not need another site'.

'I would hate to see it become yet another 'chat show' so by all means run your own site, but please! leave this very popular, much loved and long established Forum alone'.

Audrey

Hello Audrey,

May I quote you on your last post, as I am somewhat confused!!

' we do not need another site'.

May I respectfully ask - Who are 'we' ? ...
Most of the contributing posters on this Technics forum, are in fact members of the Forum I run, so can I assume therefore you are using the Royal 'We', meaning yourself ?
Or are you a leader or spokesperson for a number of members ?

If you took the time to get some facts, you would realise that it is not a Forum as such, but a repository for programs, music, useful articles, and resources for ALL Technics keyboards and Organs, each with its own section. It does not compare with this, or any other site. The nearest to it on the Internet is Cees's Keso Cafe, which is now sadly defunct, and I am trying to replace, as it was perhaps one of the best resource sites on the internet for Technics, albeit, mainly for the KN7000 as is that great resource Bill Norrie's 'Willums Pages'.
My site is for all Models. ..

The Forum is not new. It has been open for almost a year!

'I would hate to see it become yet another 'chat show'
Definition of a Forum ' 'A meeting place for discussion and social discourse' - Is this a 'Forum'? - If it is, then I am sure that one is allowed to 'chat' with other like minded people, without offending you!

'please! leave this very popular, much loved and long established Forum alone'. Why Audrey? What has anyone done to this Forum?
Who needs to leave it alone?
Am I to assume you mean me? Are you telling me not to post?
If so, please tell me what I have done or said to offend you, and the other couple of posters who seem to be intent upon attacking me, and belittling my attempts to replace several Technics resource sites that have fallen by the wayside.?

Our 'Leader' you quote above - Nigel, has welcomed me into the fold, as well as saying the Forum is welcome too, and in fact placed a link to it on the link page.

I do agree however that Nigel does do sterling work, as does anyone running a busy forum - We do it purely to hold out a helping hand to others, with no recompense other than gratitude from those we assist.

I am sad that just the odd one or two members seem to want to contribute negativity, rather than the usual (in this forum) positive attitude.

Can we all please let this matter rest, and get on with what we all do best, and play some sweet music, this thread is becoming a boring and long playing repetitious gramophone record, which just a few members seem to want to keep turning.

John

#319265 - 03/14/11 05:30 PM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Tony Deaf]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
AUDREY.... Count me in your "We" group!

For me the SynthZone Technics Forum is wonderful! I also go to Bill Norrie's site frequently. I have signed on to several others though I do not go to those anymore.

Many have attempted to begin other websites that deal with the Technics keyboards quite effectively. Many have also failed to maintain a membership for very long.

Most of those that have fallen by the wayside were very nice and those who still operate are also fine. I just do not want to spend ALL of my time going from one website to another and participating all day every day with Technics forums, or any other I-Net forums! I want to spend more of my time playing my Technics keyboards. I like finding all the information I want & need right here on the SynthZone Technics Forum.

That is the basic reason I have no interest in yet another Technics forum....

Yes, JOHN..."Can we all please let this matter rest, and get on with what we all do best, and play some sweet music..."

Elizabeth

#319270 - 03/14/11 06:01 PM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

I couldn't have put it better myself Elizabeth.

Changing the subject, a few years back, I met Bill and heard him play 'live' it was awesome. We were at a Technics Convention and Bill gave a very interesting talk on what could be done to enhance our playing. Whilst he talked, he used a PC monitor to show us which buttons to press to achieve these improvements. He had obviously given much thought and a great deal of time to his topic. In fact, he was an inspiration to us all, (as were several other people who attended).

I do have some of his 'sets' on an SD card, so if there is anything in particular you would like, let me know and I'll put it on a floppy for you, but I think you can download his setups direct from his website to your own PC, then you could save them to your own floppies - it would certainly be quicker than 'snail mail'

Audrey

#319275 - 03/14/11 06:31 PM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Audrey Turner]
Tony Deaf Offline

Golly, Ladies.

Thank you for responding so quickly, (All of 20 minutes !!), and for putting it all out of mind.

On the subject of Bill, we are good friends, and share many other interests beyond music. We were in the same Regiment at the same time in the Army, with the same trade, as Radio Mechanics. We were in the same places at home and abroad, and lived with our wives in the same private apartments in Richmond Yorks, where Bill eventually settled. I moved on to become a musician in the Band of the Coldstream Guards for 17 years !

Since recently upgrading to a KN7000, Bill has given me an enormous amount of time and help - and soon, I hope both my wife and I will be able to post some music off it, and become knowledgeable enough to help others on this and other Forums, to pay back the kindness and help we have had..

Its a small world, isn't it !!

Regards,

John

#319298 - 03/15/11 02:24 AM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Tony Deaf]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Yup that was a great Technics Convention that I organised in Cambridge wasn't it Audrey - perhaps Tony Deaf aka John would like to organise the next one...

#319305 - 03/15/11 05:05 AM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: RMepstead]
Tony Deaf Offline

Hello Roger wave

Thank you for what I guess is a somewhat 'Tongue in Cheek' invitation to organise your next little 'Convention' !!

Unknown to you, however is the fact that I have already successfully walked that road 4 years ago, when I had the idea of organising a 'Forum Meet' for one of the larger Yamaha Forums.
I organised and co-ordinated the Events, Accomodation, etc, and then was struck down and admitted to Hospital on the day before the weekend, by a Pulmonary Embolism (A Clot on my lungs).

It was a highly successful idea, and has carried on every year since the first 'Meet' and grown from the initial
meet of 30 Members plus their wives, to a twice-yearly event, with the last meeting being only last weekend at Skegness!! Members travel from USA, Croatia, Ireland, etc to attend.

I have never attended any of the meets, as in the same year as the initial Meet, I switched allegience from Yamaha to other organs and keyboards, after 35 years of supporting them.

I was aware of your 'Convention' as had seen pictures of your Members somewhere in a much larger size than that on the current Keyboard Kapers site.

Looking at both pictures, I am suddenly struck with the realisation that the majority (That means well over 50%) of keyboard enthusiasts (not necessarily performers), are all 'Old Farts' like myself. I would guess that the average age of members in both pictures, must be well over 60 !! My thoughts are - what will happen when all these 'Senior Citizens' have curled up their toes? Will there be a market for Arranger Keyboards any more? There is a desparate need for young and fresh blood into the hobby.

Sadly, even if the offer to a total stranger to organise your next 'Convention' was serious (Did you consult your Committee before you made it?), I would not be able to do it, due to my many and varied illnesses, not least for a musician my rapidly advancing Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (Repetetive Strain Injury - due to years of pounding piano keys!). Plus my moblity is seriously affected by a 'Glued' Spine, and Leg Ulcers. Hey! - my one remaining brain cell is still doing sterling work, and I whizz around my local area and shops on my electric buggy at an almost frightening 8 miles an hour!

As you are aware, Roger - I am in the early stages of setting up a Keyboard Tuition (Formal) centre, combined with a Players and Enthusiasts Club, here in this City. This is only possible for me, due to the fact that there is an almost completed Shopping Mall and Community Hub being built just a few paces from my front gate.

The local YMS (Yamaha Music School), where both my wife and I were Tutors, closed when the local Yamaha Dealer went 'Bump'. So I suspect there is still a need for formal tuition, as well as a Club.

I have approached the City Council as to hiring costs of one of the new Halls, and for an initially small group (but hopefully with growth, to become much bigger), the hourly cost is bordering on Astronomical (£10 an hour, for 2 -3 hours). I have now submitted a request to the Arts Council - officially backed by the City Council, for a years provisional funding.

Two interesting facts -
1. As an ordained Minister of Religion, I can have free use of a Hall for weekly religious services not exceeding 4 hours in total !!

2. (Right off topic, but useful knowledge for your mental database) - The Arts Council will fund the purchase of new Musical instruments with a 12 month interest free loan. It is means tested, and requires quite a lot of personal information.

There ends todays epistle. from

John

AKA

Tone Deaf

#319314 - 03/15/11 08:12 AM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Tony Deaf]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
AUDREY....

Thanks for your reference to Bill Norrie's site and the down-load possibilities there. You are correct, he is an inspiration to all.

Thanks also for your offer to send a floppy if I am unsuccessful in downloading....

You are another "Zonie" who is an inspiration and certainly a very kind friend as well!

Happy playing!

Elizabeth

#319315 - 03/15/11 08:14 AM Re: Technics Resources... [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

Now you're talking John. Sadly, the younger generation do not seem to be that interested live music and attending music clubs, which I think is partly due to the amount of software available on the net which can, an does, make them sound real good.

Other contributing factors I think are the cost of instruments and the dwindling number of music teachers available not helped by the lack of music appreciation in the schools these days. Some schools I know don't even have music in the curriculum. Having said that, it isn't all 'doom & gloom' as we still have very talented self-taught/ear players who will always be around because their talent is a natural gift, of which I am very envious. Two of my brothers and my eldest daughter can play instantly, any piece of music they listen to, whereas I have to see the 'dots' first - Grrrrh! There is an upside to it though, as we all get older we tend to be forgetful, so at least I have the music sheet in front of me when this happens, whereas my ear-playing friends find it very embarrassing when they sometimes 'dry-up in the middle of a tune.

Ah well, we should be thankful with what we have and in view of the recent disaster in Japan we should all remember to count our blessings every day.

Audrey

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online