SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#319525 - 03/17/11 09:15 AM Saving Settings ?
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

Good Afternoon Folks,

Can someone please explain to me, in words of one syllable, and to be understood easily for this tired old brain, why I keep losing my 5 foot pedal assignments, and the EQ I set in the KN7000. I set them up and, then go into 'Data Protection' and 'Save' 'OK' there, which I assume is a 'Global' setting, but they still go back to factory reset settings on their own, whenever I switch off and back on again later. They are possibly (I think !) also changed when I put in Styles from other sources.

Its really frustrating!! Never had this problem with the old 6500. ...... Lots of thoughts - is there a battery or capacitor that retains volatile memory and needs changing is one of them.

Thanks for any help forthcoming,

John

#319529 - 03/17/11 10:08 AM Re: Saving Settings ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I've certainly occasionally experienced other folks styles throwing all my settings out, but you're certainly in the right place with the 'Data protection' facility.
Try saving everything to an SD Card (check pages 2 and 3 of the Save manoeuvre) then when you next switch on load that which you have saved and see whether it brings back all your pedal assignment settings etc.

#319535 - 03/17/11 11:46 AM Re: Saving Settings ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John
Make sure you are in "Expanded Mode". Press the center button, choose expanded, press display hold, and see if the parameters are checked.
Bernie

#319548 - 03/17/11 06:08 PM Re: Saving Settings ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Yes, you must be in the EXPAND mode and the 'Foot Controllers Setting' switched to 'ON' (don't forget to press 'OK' as well - something I often forget to do).

You can check to see whether you are in the EXPAND mode by pressing and holding down the blue button in middle of the Panel Memories wheel until the Screen changes and if it's already in that mode, you will see it highlighted with a red box around it. (you probably know all this anyway - but just in case). If it isn't just click the button next to it.

It should stay that way until you manually change it. Using other people's sets can affect it because, of course, not everyone uses it so it's always best to take a quick look before you start doing your own 'tweaks' if you have loaded a third party setup.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

#319570 - 03/18/11 04:56 AM Re: Saving Settings ? [Re: Bernie9]
Tony Deaf Offline

Thank you so much for the kind responses to my plea.

I have workers in the house at the moment, but as soon as they finish in my 'music room' I will take the dust sheets off the 7000 and see what happens when I try your kind suggestions.

Audrey, I know 'nuffink' much about the 7000, as have only had it a couple of weeks, and its predecessor, the KN6500 a couple of months before that.

I can 'eat' the Yamaha OS, as had Yamaha since 1983 - last ones being 9000 Pro and a S900, so have much to learn on this new (to me!) operating system. It keeps my old brain in peak fitness.

Both my wife and I are playing it OK, and it sounds superb, plus we love the features we have discovered so far, but when you go beyond 'simple use' - lack of knowledge is immense - particularly as I do more in the 'Arranger' side, and hopefully will soon be sequencing, multitracking and creating styles. There's a long and steep learning curve ahead.

Its all 'Good Fun' isn't it?

Once again - many thanks, I will report back, eventually.

John

#319575 - 03/18/11 05:53 AM Re: Saving Settings ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
Tony Deaf Offline

They just took a dinner break, so have tried and it seems to have sorted it, I hope. Gosh! - It sounds a different board when you get the EQ set just right - really comes alive !! Lets hope it stays there now !!

Council workers doing the ceiling were absolutely in awe of what the machine does !! Had to give them a demo, while they drank my tea and ate my 'sarnies' LOL !!

Thanks folks!

John

#319603 - 03/18/11 05:03 PM Re: Saving Settings ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Whilst I don't know everything about the KN7000 (who does, except perhaps Bill Norrie and Alec Pagida) if I can help in any way, please feel free to contact me. I have quite a collection of Floppies and SD Cards containing yet more variations of styles etc. so if you're stuck at any time or are looking for a style for a particular song, maybe I'll have something to suit in my collection.

I agree, the KN7000 is still the 'king' for me.

Audrey

#319676 - 03/20/11 06:52 AM Re: Saving Settings ? [Re: Audrey Turner]
Tony Deaf Offline

Thanks Audrey.

For the moment - as Sunny (my wife) and I are just finding our way around, we are OK for styles, and I also have a stack from the old 6500 that will work in the 7000.

Plus, when I eventually get familiar with the 'Dark Art' that lies beneath the surface of this great keyboard, to sequence music, I will then start teaching myself how to create Styles.

I prefer where I can, to make absolutely 'Song Specific' styles, rather than use the boring and repetitious 'Generic - One size fits all' styles.

Quite often, I 'hack down' existing good midi's of a song I want to play, knock the lead out, and some of the tracks in places, change voices, volumes and tempo, perhaps, and just play to a 'Backing Track' rather than a style. I suppose really whenever I make a Style of my own, it is more of a 'Backing Track' than a style, anyway !!, but at least it is all me playing, rather than someone else - even if it wasn't played at the same time !! LOL

Kindest regards,

John

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online